I have been wondering since even I turn on the wifi, the browser still use the phone network connection. I have changed the option in default browser to hotspot, but the indicator on the right corner still shows EDGE rather than wifi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-10 05:53 PM
    Have you successfully joined the WiFi network there? Is it open or is it password protected?
    01-06-10 05:56 PM
    Have you successfully joined the WiFi network there? Is it open or is it password protected?
    I have successfully joined the Wifi network
    01-06-10 05:58 PM
    does it get white or does it stay grey?
    01-06-10 06:46 PM
    If you are connected to a wifi, the ''edge'' will stay there. You only need to look if the wifi indicator is white.
    01-06-10 06:48 PM
    +1 on the edge staying on the phone even though you are connected to WiFi. To see what you are actually using for each connection, go back to Manage Connections, Services Status. A short while after making the WiFi connection, BB Internet Service will show the connection as Wi-Fi instead of Mobile Network.
    01-06-10 07:13 PM
    If you are connected to a wifi, the ''edge'' will stay there. You only need to look if the wifi indicator is white.
    Yeah, but the speed is so slow. When I turn off all the network connection except for the wifi, the speed is much faster
    01-06-10 07:15 PM
    I'm on my phone... But which network are you with?

I'm with ATT and if I go to "MediaNet" it won't use the WiFi. I have to go to "browser". If the WiFi Browser is not set as the default browser, go into "Options" --> "Browser Config" and then switch to WiFi. That should change it over.

Also note that bookmarks have a default browser, so they need to be set to WiFi. The problem with this is if you're not on WiFi, it won't connect. Your best bet (what I do, anyway) is to just type in the address in "Go To" or have 2 sets of bookmarks.

01-06-10 10:29 PM
    I'm on my phone... But which network are you with?

I'm with ATT and if I go to "MediaNet" it won't use the WiFi. I have to go to "browser". If the WiFi Browser is not set as the default browser, go into "Options" --> "Browser Config" and then switch to WiFi. That should change it over.

Also note that bookmarks have a default browser, so they need to be set to WiFi. The problem with this is if you're not on WiFi, it won't connect. Your best bet (what I do, anyway) is to just type in the address in "Go To" or have 2 sets of bookmarks.

I have done what you said. I went to browser config in advance option, and then changed the default browser config to hotspot browser.
    However, the connection is still slow
    01-07-10 07:34 AM
    Hmm, in the upper right hand corner, do you see the "WiFi" button? You have to have the bar across the top. To toggle it in and out, hit "u".

Quite honestly I wasn't all that impressed with the speed of the browser, even on WiFi. Maybe try and get SpeedTest to see how fast your connection on the WiFi is. Maybe it's just not much faster.
    01-07-10 12:13 PM
    hi dear
    i have the same problem, please help, i am a new user to blackberry, jst bought bold 9780, (a bit used) i currently don't carry a data plan for me but i have wifi access everywhere i go (home, office etc) the thing is, i couldn't access either i am using wifi for browsing or its been using EDGE (2G) during browsing, edge is extremely costly and couldnt be afforded, sometimes i use to switch my network connection off if i am going to use some heavy traffic and just enable wifi, please guide and tell how to know or make it default if wifi is available.
    i will highly appreciate if any one could reply direcly on [email protected]

thanks and Best regards
    06-09-12 03:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD