Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Blackberry no longer makes phones. Blackberry Mobile is just...crickets. KeyThree? (echo echo echo...)

So, why not try a different route altogether?
    A lot of people read e-books. Many have Kindle e-readers.
    Wouldn't there be a great built-in customer base for an e-reader that folds? Like a real book!
    E-readers are cheap to produce, too! And they're light. Batteries last forever.
    How about it, Blackberry Mobile?
    Heck, maybe I'll just ask Amazon, if they haven't already thought about it....
    09-05-19 08:43 PM
    TCL has no services to go with such an item, and that's a key part of an ebook reader. Plus, Amazon pretty much owns that market outside of Google and Apple. There's just no money to be made there.
    SeeBeeEss and John Albert like this.
    09-05-19 11:09 PM
    I use a kindle paper white and am quite happy with the form factor of this device. What interests me is the screen tech and the minimal battery usage it can provide. I am interested in the capabilities of eink screen tech and would consider a phone or even basic laptop with this screen. Easy on the eyes for long periods of use and the battery consumption is minimal
    09-06-19 12:16 AM
    I use a kindle paper white and am quite happy with the form factor of this device. What interests me is the screen tech and the minimal battery usage it can provide. I am interested in the capabilities of eink screen tech and would consider a phone or even basic laptop with this screen. Easy on the eyes for long periods of use and the battery consumption is minimal
    I think fast refresh rates with color are challenging for that tech.
    09-06-19 07:16 AM
    Blackberry no longer makes phones. Blackberry Mobile is just...crickets. KeyThree? (echo echo echo...)

Wouldn't there be a great built-in customer base for an e-reader that folds? Like a real book!

Really a folding e-reader wouldn't need a "perfect" seam, as traditional books don't. But you'd at least be looking at paying for an extra screen and battery.... just so you don't have to turn the page as often? And have to deal with a heavier and larger device to hold (or prop up).

I don't see the market for such a device.... even if Amazon who has the ecosystem for it were to do it. Zero fit for BBMo and BlackBerry's security... unless it's for reading government files...
    Bbnivende and SeeBeeEss like this.
    09-06-19 07:26 AM
    Reading is one of "content consumption", and you know how much hatred towards that tag line here
    Blackberry is all about security and text input device.
    09-06-19 08:59 PM
    Reading is one of "content consumption", and you know how much hatred towards that tag line here
    Blackberry is all about security and text input device.
    Reading a book doesn't need top notch security.
    09-06-19 10:31 PM
    Reading a book doesn't need top notch security.
    Yup. But all tablets or phablets have already got better fresh rate and screen, also security and more stable system. That's why people use their current device for reading purpose, they just need to load the services on it.
    09-06-19 10:50 PM
    Slightly off-topic, but related:

The YotaPhone and YotaPhone 2 were interesting products. I'd be tempted to buy a BlackBerry with an e-reader on the back, but I doubt the concept will appear again.
    09-06-19 10:57 PM
    The Yotas are too expensive and far too hard to find; plus they may not work properly as phones in North America.
    A dedicated e-reader, using e-ink, would be much cheaper, much lighter, have a far better battery life.

I still like the idea of a foldable e-reader. Imagine the original Nook with a hinge horizontally in the middle. It folds into the size of, say, a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Book (loved them as a kid). The rubberized cover dual serves as a case in the closed position. The recessed screen of the original Nook design further protects the screen from scratches. No need for an expensive/fragile folding screen, just use 2 e-ink screens with a thin hinge between them. Price it aggressively, say, $150, license with Amazon/Nook/Kodo, and maybe make it non-touchscreen for cheaper price (retain the Nook physical buttons for scrolling and menu options). A paperback-sized Nook that opens like a real book and reads like a real book might be more popular, with the right ad campaign, than we might suspect.

TCL is doing all sorts of weird foldable designs. Why not try an e-reader design?
    09-06-19 11:36 PM
    E readers are all very cheap. No one wants to pay much for one.
    Troy Tiscareno and SeeBeeEss like this.
    09-07-19 01:14 AM
    TCL is doing all sorts of weird foldable designs. Why not try an e-reader design?
    No existing, well-recognized ecosystem, no way to break even, much less turn a profit.

Have you seen the latest Nook or Kobo or Sony eReaders? NO, because they no longer exist. They no longer exist for a reason, and the reason is because you can't make money on the hardware if people don't love the software you can run on it, and that's why Amazon has the only viable dedicated eReaders.

It does no good to suggest products until you can make a well-reasoned (and informed) argument for how it will generate profits for the company. This idea is a total loser. The only chance they'd have of making money is if Amazon contracted TCL to make Kindles.
    SeeBeeEss likes this.
    09-07-19 03:05 PM

I use MoKo leather cases with auto wake/sleep for my Kindle Paperwhites. They form fit the Kindles, are very thin, provide great protection and basically do for $17 what you would do with a folding E-reader that would likely cost hundreds of dollars more than a Kindle and case. Who would pay for such a thing?
    Attached Thumbnails How about a folding e-book reader?-img_20190907_1429061-01.jpg  
    09-07-19 03:43 PM
    The only chance they'd have of making money is if Amazon contracted TCL to make Kindles.
    You mean like all of the money made when BlackBerry contracted with TCL to make BlackBerry-branded phones? No thanks! I kind of like my Kindles and wouldn't want to see another iconic brand given their coup de grâce by TCL.
    09-07-19 04:08 PM
    Actually, I’d prefer that Kindle do a foldable Kindle, not TCL. Not yet, as folding e-devices are not yet mainstream. But give it 5 years to mature, and I can imagaine some sort of folding e-reader.

For now, I have an original e-ink Nook, great battery life still, has a solid case, and rooted to access Kindle ebooks, too. I can wait.
    09-07-19 07:18 PM
    https://www.pcmag.com/news/354283/e-...lding-e-reader

E Ink had a prototype a few years ago of a folding e-reader. It wasn't commercially viable, and the concept was different from what I had in mind, but with the speed of technology, who knows what may be feasible now or in the near future?
    09-08-19 02:49 AM