A place for people who are so new, and ignorant to the vast possibilities of the Blackberry, they just don't even know where to start. like me.

Of course this is not solely for the inexperienced; this thread would be usesless without the help of advanced users.

So thank you ahead of time for your help everybody!
    03-21-09 12:44 AM
    Hi, i'm new to everything about the Blackberry, exept it's basic functions (calling, texting).
    Now i would like to delve into the more complex things such as changing OS' and adding apps. but i don't even know what an OS is on a phone; i was wondering if it was like putting the software of the bold on a curve. applications, are they free and must i use the Desktop Manager for my blackberry to apply them?
    03-21-09 12:46 AM
    OS updates are device specific - The 8310 OS is for the 8310. The 8330 OS is for that device etc etc. It is just the operating system of the phone. It is applied with Desktop Manager but soon they will be OTA (over the air) which is a nice addition....

They are free as well. The OS for your phone can be checked by hitting options>about or you could hit alt - shift - h and look for app version. If you see 4.5.xxxx then you are on the latest OS and no upgrade is needed.

If you are bored and care to learn a thing a two read up on the Blackberry 101 Lecture Series in my signature. Alot of good info in there to be learned and after reading up on some of the tutorials you will have alot more knowledge about your BB. Welcome to the site.
    03-21-09 12:55 AM
    Please read the 101 lecture first item in my signature. Welcome to crackberry!
    03-21-09 12:56 AM
    OS updates are device specific - The 8310 OS is for the 8310. The 8330 OS is for that device etc etc. It is just the operating system of the phone. It is applied with Desktop Manager but soon they will be OTA (over the air) which is a nice addition....

They are free as well. The OS for your phone can be checked by hitting options>about or you could hit alt - shift - h and look for app version. If you see 4.5.xxxx then you are on the latest OS and no upgrade is needed.

If you are bored and care to learn a thing a two read up on the Blackberry 101 Lecture Series in my signature. Alot of good info in there to be learned and after reading up on some of the tutorials you will have alot more knowledge about your BB. Welcome to the site.
    Please read the 101 lecture first item in my signature. Welcome to crackberry!
    i will DEFINITELY read the lecture series guys, but i do have a couple more questions at the moment : what is "unlocking" your phone? is it possible to put the Bold's software on my 8310?
    03-21-09 01:00 AM
    No that is not how it works. Device specific.

Unlocking your phone means you can use the phone on other networks. An ATT phone on TMobile network etc.....

More info here

What are Unlocked Cell Phones?
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-21-09 at 01:09 AM.
    03-21-09 01:06 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com!
    03-21-09 01:40 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.com!
    thank you sir!

now i have a question about apps : where do i get apps, what do i need to install them, and is there a search engine/ and or index where i can find them.

and do i find/get/install them from my computer or solely on the phone itself?
    03-21-09 02:03 AM
    First link is one where the users here gave opinions about there favorite apps

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wha...ions-bb-14431/

This link is for popular downloads

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

This is how to install apps both OTA and with DM (taken from blackberry 101 which is as suggested a great place to start)

Lecture 9: How To Install and Manage Third Party Software Applications On Your BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

OTA apps are by far the easiest. I usually just rt click copy the link to where the app is and send that link to my Blackberry email and when I open it on the BB, just hit download and then install it.
    03-21-09 02:07 AM
    is there any way to remove scratches from the screen cover? there is one really annoying one on my screen and i would like to know if there is a way to resolve it without replacing the entire screen cover.
    03-21-09 09:30 PM
    I find it easier to get used to crackberry by lurking, looking through countless threads, everywhere. :3 Worked for me, and I learned a lot.
    03-21-09 09:36 PM
    can somebody please tell me how to save my phone contacts to my sim card? i have done it before but now when i goto address book, highlight the contact and hit the menu button, it just says "sim phone book" and not "copy to sim phone book".
    03-24-09 05:15 PM
    Welcome Noobs...

Your question ffp... go to the phone book, open a contact, put your cursor on a phone number, press the menu button and there should be an option to copy to SIM Phone Book.
    03-24-09 06:37 PM
    Welcome to CB! Enjoy ur new addiction!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 07:15 PM
    check out my case reviews on the Blackberry Bold, there's plent of my videos, and be sure to click my links in my signature
    03-24-09 08:22 PM
    ok, so i was updating my OS on my blackberry and i left for a while, then while my bb was updating my comp went onto screensaver and stoped my update halfway, now my phone only has two red blinks when i try to do anything with it. i tryed to reload the updates but got a fatal error. help please.
    i actually just fixed it myself. had to attempt the update a couple more times though.
    03-27-09 06:50 AM
    well i just got the unlock code from att but i can't even get to the menu where i have to type it in. i have tried their method and cellunlock's method and any other combination i can thing of. i can get the mepd to work; just not the mep2. any help?
    AND, my "wepd" menu already says disabled all the way down, yet my phone is not unlocked, as i have already tried to use a t moble sim and all i got was the sos radio symbol.
    Last edited by ffp; 03-27-09 at 05:33 PM.
    03-27-09 11:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD