I'm getting my bb to hang every so often on some process, and it takes anywhere from 30-60 seconds, sometimes longer to unhang itself. I basically get the hour glass to pop up, and it spins and I can't do anything to get out or switch programs, just spinning hour glass until its done doing whatever it was doing and then frees up my bb again. At first I was pulling the bb battery and now I'm letting it work its way thru what it is thinking about.

I have downloaded a few apps to try them out like opera and bolt and a few other apps, but I removed them after trying them out.

Could I have some process running in the background from a bad app?

Not sure where to look, just know that bb was not doing this few days ago before I loaded a bunch of 3rd party apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-09 10:06 PM
    Probably just a memory issue.

options>status and post your file free. If its lower than 12mb then you have likely found the issue of the hourglass popping up and we will get it knocked out...
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-28-09 at 10:16 PM.
    03-28-09 10:07 PM
    Wow, free file is 0 bytes - strange, how did that happen?

Why is it letting me get email and tweets if I have 0 bytes free? Seems like I can still add stuff to the devise.

03-28-09 10:38 PM
    Ouch! As I suspected. Here are some tips to help you along. Once your all done pull the battery and check the file free again. Then when you get more time you can work on the link at the bottom to gain even more....

1. Delete all texts or unneeded texts and emails. People who save hundreds of texts will eventually have memory related issues.

2. Make sure you close all apps properly (menu>close) as well as move all media (ringtones, pictures, video etc) to a media card - if you dont have a media card its a good idea to get one to keep the pictures, ringtones off the device memory.

3. Clear your browser cache (browser>options>cache operations)

4. Clear the event log........On your keypad hold down the alt key and type lglg and clear the event log (ignore the warning).

5. If you have too many themes or applications maybe cut down on a few you dont use. Facebook would be the first place I would go for an app that needed to be deleted.

6. Keep an eye on what applications are running hold alt & hit esc (button right of the trackball) it will show you 5. (phone, messages, bbm, home screen, browser) anything else in there is running and you should look into it..

Basic housecleaning is all you need to avoid this issue in the future.... After you complete many of these if not all - pull the battery with the phone on, wait 30 seconds, replace, when you boot back up check your new file free memory size.

This thread below will help you if you want to do even more memory optimization.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/
    03-28-09 10:40 PM
    It will still function sometimes even if on or near 0. Sometimes it will start to delete texts/emails etc in an effort to stay afloat other times it will randomly reboot or hang the hourglass for ages as you experienced. Its fixable!

I am not certain what you are doing to cause this issue, after reading through some of the above suggestions you may be able to determine what caused it. Possibly by overloading the device with pics/ringtones/music and no memory card or saving every text since you got the device or........ Could be as simple as something like Facebook or Viigo as well (which for many BB owners - quite buggy)....... Lemme know how it goes.... Feel free to PM if you need any other help.
    Last edited by Tremortality; 03-28-09 at 10:49 PM.
    03-28-09 10:45 PM
    Great stuff, I'll take a look.

I've been careful with emails and general management. I removed all unused backgrounds and have emails to a min. I'll have to revisit some of this stuff, something is sucking up memory. Your post will help - thanks again!

03-28-09 10:59 PM
    Great stuff, I'll take a look.

I've been careful with emails and general management. I removed all unused backgrounds and have emails to a min. I'll have to revisit some of this stuff, something is sucking up memory. Your post will help - thanks again!

Glad to help, hope you get it sorted out. If you get stuck CB is a post away or PM if you wish.

Peace

Trem
    03-28-09 11:03 PM
    Ok, got rid of a bunch of stuff. I'm at 12.9meg now. Biggest app was google maps, deleted it, and kept bb map, had to pick one.

Anyway to get apps to use my 2gig card? Would be great if notes, tasks and emails could be stored externally.

Thanks again, very helpful and learned a lot.

03-29-09 08:08 AM
    Interesting, now down to 9meg, tinytwitter needs to be monitored.

Do I really need to stay at 12meg for best performance?

03-29-09 08:40 AM
    Yes, 12MB is the suggested number in order for it to run smoothly! Also, if you have the Facebook or Viigo apps, get rid of them! They're two of the biggest culprits when it comes to memory issues!

03-29-09 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD