I just came across this, looks like Netflix started a html5 streaming service
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/11/s...ml5-streaming/
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 03-11-13 at 04:16 PM.
    03-11-13 03:34 PM
    Wow this is really cool! It almost makes sense that Netflix wouldn't bother making a BB10 app since they knew that have an HTML5 app in development. It sounds like it up to BB users to start putting pressure on Netflix now.
    03-11-13 03:51 PM
    @Netflix . . .
    Also @Netflixhelps. . .or for any other big name apps you want look here. . .
    Want your favorite apps on blackberry 10? Let em know
    SkypilotOfHope likes this.
    03-11-13 03:58 PM
    I'm sure Netflix will find a reason why the PB and the z/q10 is not compatible with their html5 streaming service. Yeah I know BB10 is the best HTML5 compatibility but I wouldn't be surprised if it wouldn't work for us.. I'm just saying.

So let me get this straight. We should be able to log in and get 'er going? I really don't want to be a pessimist about this this .. but I am.
    03-11-13 04:01 PM
    Sucks that Netflix won't be coming to BB, unless this comes through. Really bummed out about that as I stream a lot of Netflix off my phone since losing tethering option to the tablet.

Looks like the HTC One is looking more appealing by the day.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    03-11-13 04:09 PM
    Wow this is really cool! It almost makes sense that Netflix wouldn't bother making a BB10 app since they knew that have an HTML5 app in development. It sounds like it up to BB users to start putting pressure on Netflix now.
    They're sure gonna run out of excuses for not putting it on a BlackBerry.
    03-11-13 04:22 PM
    Sucks that Netflix won't be coming to BB, unless this comes through. Really bummed out about that as I stream a lot of Netflix off my phone since losing tethering option to the tablet.

Huh Netflix isn't a priority for Z10. Most people rather watch movies on their big screen tvs

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 04:39 PM
    Netflix supports Windows Phone (and did from the beginning), why not support BB 10 as well?
    03-11-13 05:11 PM
    Huh Netflix isn't a priority for Z10. Most people rather watch movies on their big screen tvs

Posted via CB10
    I think most of us don't really care about watching Netflix on our phones.....
    ...What we care about is that the Playbook can compete with the other tablets on the market.
    ...Without Netflix Playbook can't - it's a joke.

An iphone has no problem with Netflix and neither does an ipad....
    ...They both use the same O.S. therefore either product helps sell the other.
    ...In Blackberry's case the Playbook insults the phones and vise versa.

What we want is that the O.S. can compete with the best of the best.....
    ...And that means Netflix has to work on BB10.
    ...The paydirt for that is that if it works on the phone it will work on the Playbook.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-11-13 05:14 PM
    Netflix supports Windows Phone (and did from the beginning), why not support BB 10 as well?
    Because Microsoft owns silver light.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-11-13 05:17 PM

I don't think the technology has much of anything to do with why Netflix isn't on BlackBerry.

(cough - support costs, development costs, delivery costs)
    mikeo007 likes this.
    03-11-13 05:24 PM
    Because Microsoft owns silver light.
    Silverlight doesn't run on Windows Phone 8, just a subset. A BB10 app would take less development effort than a Windows Phone one, especially if they just repackage the Android APK as a BB10 one.
    03-11-13 05:25 PM
    I'm over Netflix. Maybe I'll go back when some of their Disney content is available in 2016 or whenever.

We should appeal to Amazon to get us an Amazon Instant Video application. Their streaming content rivals that of Netflix, and with Amazon's Kindle app coming to BlackBerry 10 (and Amazon's..imitation of the PlayBook styling on the first Kindle fire ) they clearly are open to working with BlackBerry and can appreciate that BlackBerry users have money to spend on things from their store.
    03-11-13 06:14 PM
    I'm relatively confident that Goog/Sammy put a method in place in their Chromebook and/or Browser to guarantee Netflix that their HTML5 video stream is sandboxed/controlled to ensure Joe User can't capture and redistribute Netflix's stream.

If browsers on other platforms could do the same, I'm sure it will spread to other platforms as well.
    03-11-13 06:22 PM
    What netflix needs is a serious competetion on the market then maybe they'll make an effort to have it available on all possible devices ...
    03-11-13 06:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol, nope hardly anyone watches Netflix on their entertainment media device.....

Surely not me at 10G a month, because you know being on a 70" TV at work might send some bells off at the higher ups...

You are part of the problem...

03-11-13 06:52 PM
    What netflix needs is a serious competetion on the market then maybe they'll make an effort to have it available on all possible devices ...
    Do you mean something like Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus?
    00stryder likes this.
    03-11-13 06:57 PM
    There is a Netflix app available now. Check the front news for the info.

Posted from my Z10.
    03-11-13 07:04 PM
    BB10 is 100% HTML5 compliant and it's browser is blazing fast. no need for an app.
    03-11-13 07:04 PM
    03-11-13 07:05 PM
    Yep, just what I want, to sideload an old version that is buggy and slow. Awesome substitute....

Works fantastic on my s3. Should work great on the HTC One as well.

Here's hoping this comes through for BlackBerry as I am sure I am not the only one frustrated by this news.

03-11-13 07:10 PM
    Yep, just what I want, to sideload an old version that is buggy and slow. Awesome substitute....

Works fantastic on my s3. Should work great on the HTC One as well.

Here's hoping this comes through for BlackBerry as I am sure I am not the only one frustrated by this news.

Are you here to gloat and drop other devices names? It works great on my aging netbook, wii, xbox and it can work on any device, Netflix just has to make it available. This html5 is a promising move.
    00stryder likes this.
    03-11-13 07:19 PM
    I'm relatively confident that Goog/Sammy put a method in place in their Chromebook and/or Browser to guarantee Netflix that their HTML5 video stream is sandboxed/controlled to ensure Joe User can't capture and redistribute Netflix's stream.

If browsers on other platforms could do the same, I'm sure it will spread to other platforms as well.
    Thats actually an interesting reason. Maybe they didn't like how the Z10 has an HDMI output which might enable people to capture and record video from Netflix. Though you could say that recording from a computer is just as easy. Who knows.
    Or the most obvious one is what they've been saying that they just don't care about BlackBerry users.
    03-11-13 07:44 PM
    Thats actually an interesting reason. Maybe they didn't like how the Z10 has an HDMI output which might enable people to capture and record video from Netflix. Though you could say that recording from a computer is just as easy. Who knows.
    Or the most obvious one is what they've been saying that they just don't care about BlackBerry users.
    It's possible to deactivate the HDMI output (display different content on the HDMI) or to protect it... so that's not the reason for sure...

Posted via CB10
    03-11-13 07:48 PM
    03-11-13 07:50 PM
36 12