There have been. Not a lot, but I've seen some. The "Tools not toys" campaign comes to mind, plus the one with the shiny bikes.

Few and far between.
    09-27-15 07:23 PM
    You should have sent it back for a refund or exchange. I read your other thread.
    I have Windows phones and a couple of android phones I play around with. I use BB10 phones as daily drivers. I can see that you are a fan of Windows phone. Having used the 3 platforms I must disagree with you. I like BB10 the most by far for a multitude of reasons.
    Windows phone comes in second place but I feel that Windows phone has a long way to go. It's not as stable as BB10 and it's tiles just wear on me after a while. I prefer icons.
    I've used android enough to say that I hate it, it's a privacy and security nightmare and I would never use it as a daily driver.
    Got my iphone 6s today, first iphone ever. Will be playing around with it for the next couple of weeks to see what all the hoopla is all about.
    Good luck with your BB10 device. Get yourself a properly working one and you will be even happier.
    I'm considering getting an Iphone 6S too. Either that or the Priv but I have to wait and see it. How do you feel about all of the OS's now that you have experienced all four?

Posted via CB10
    09-27-15 07:51 PM
    what is the deal with needing to take silent photos, if your phone could "bleep" at any time?
    I'm almost certain there was a point in time the camera shutter sound was there for security, so you couldn't take pictures of people without them knowing, but nowadays, privacy is long gone -
    Apparently it's actually illegal to deactivate in some legislations,... South Korea iirc?

:-)

No probs here in OZ, or nobody bothers....

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    09-27-15 08:39 PM
    I told you how you can turn it off...

*Settings
    *Notifications
    *Click on the active profile to open its' customization menu
    *Under the 'App Exceptions' header, turn off Sound
    *Slide volume all the way to the left

You will still have message/phone sounds, just no dial pad tone or camera shutter sound. Simple.

Posted via CB10
    Someone (actually did) "read the friendly manual"... :-)

�   Forget the name, ... Priv it on! :-)   �
    CivilDissident likes this.
    09-27-15 08:41 PM
    How do you feel about all of the OS's now that you have experienced all four?
    Sorry, the iphone is still sitting in the box on my desk. From the 3 OS's I have used, in my opinion BB10 is the best by far. I only use a few apps and they are native BB10 apps. Second place is Windows phone and last is android. I think from what I have seen on some family members phones when I finally get to play around with the 6s I may bump Windows to 3rd and android of course to last.
    09-27-15 09:52 PM
    I'm considering getting an Iphone 6S too. Either that or the Priv but I have to wait and see it. How do you feel about all of the OS's now that you have experienced all four?

Posted via CB10
    Let me answer your query as I also have tried the four mobile OS (IOS 8, WP 8.1, Android, BB10). IOS has a very simple UI which makes it easy for users to adopt. But it does lack customizations too (despite what the OP states IOS 8 doesn't have a way to silence the camera shutter except to mute the phone using the mute button on the side). So if you want a phone that works with little to no effort then IOS is for you.

Android is the jack of all trades. It is very customizable. And with the different skins and manufacturer customizations experiences may vary. I don't like Samsung's Touchwiz but I love HTC's sense.

WP 8.1 has also a very simplistic UI. Everything is driven by the tiles. I like the Metro UI but once you start loading it up with lots of apps the Metro Tiles can tend to become cluttered (even with the feature to add Folders in the tiles intruduced in the later version). Apps are also lacking, but you can always find third party app clients. The bundled Office is a big plus if you are a heavy MS Office user.

BB10 has an intuitive UI. The gestures, peek, live tiles add a certain flow to the OS. Of course Hub is a plus and if you move from device to laptop, the Blend is also a good feature.

For me, if apps are not an issue then BB10 is my top OS followed by WP8.1, then IOS then Android. If you are heavy on apps, it's a toss-up between IOS and Android with IOS having an edge. I find IOS apps to be more stable and well written (sample, IOS FB app is slightly better than Android FB app, or you will find some Games just working on IOS but intermittently crashes on Android even using a flagship such as Galaxy S5). Then BB10, then WP8.1. Yup BB10 has better app selection because of it's ability to run Android apps.

My view may change when WP10 launches. By the time Priv launches, WP10 may have already launched too. I still haven't seen how they implemented the Hub on Android. If done well then the Priv might be a good option.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    09-27-15 10:05 PM
    Just hold down k on the home screen to silence the phone and then take your pictures. When you finish simply swipe up to go back to the home screen and hold down k again to unsilence the phone.

 Posted while using the greatest phone ever created my chocolaty passport (Net10 10.3.2.2639)
    09-27-15 11:19 PM
    Just hold down k on the home screen to silence the phone and then take your pictures. When you finish simply swipe up to go back to the home screen and hold down k again to unsilence the phone.

 Posted while using the greatest phone ever created my chocolaty passport (Net10 10.3.2.2639)
    Correction, just hold down the q button.

lift likes this.
    09-28-15 12:07 AM
    Let me answer your query as I also have tried the four mobile OS (IOS 8, WP 8.1, Android, BB10). IOS has a very simple UI which makes it easy for users to adopt. But it does lack customizations too (despite what the OP states IOS 8 doesn't have a way to silence the camera shutter except to mute the phone using the mute button on the side). So if you want a phone that works with little to no effort then IOS is for you.

Android is the jack of all trades. It is very customizable. And with the different skins and manufacturer customizations experiences may vary. I don't like Samsung's Touchwiz but I love HTC's sense.

WP 8.1 has also a very simplistic UI. Everything is driven by the tiles. I like the Metro UI but once you start loading it up with lots of apps the Metro Tiles can tend to become cluttered (even with the feature to add Folders in the tiles intruduced in the later version). Apps are also lacking, but you can always find third party app clients. The bundled Office is a big plus if you are a heavy MS Office user.

BB10 has an intuitive UI. The gestures, peek, live tiles add a certain flow to the OS. Of course Hub is a plus and if you move from device to laptop, the Blend is also a good feature.

For me, if apps are not an issue then BB10 is my top OS followed by WP8.1, then IOS then Android. If you are heavy on apps, it's a toss-up between IOS and Android with IOS having an edge. I find IOS apps to be more stable and well written (sample, IOS FB app is slightly better than Android FB app, or you will find some Games just working on IOS but intermittently crashes on Android even using a flagship such as Galaxy S5). Then BB10, then WP8.1. Yup BB10 has better app selection because of it's ability to run Android apps.

My view may change when WP10 launches. By the time Priv launches, WP10 may have already launched too. I still haven't seen how they implemented the Hub on Android. If done well then the Priv might be a good option.
    Thanks,

I'll be looking at WP10 now that you mention it, while also heavily considering outlook too. Sick of Gmail. Is the app gap on WP as bad as BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 09:17 AM
    Thanks,

I'll be looking at WP10 now that you mention it, while also heavily considering outlook too. Sick of Gmail. Is the app gap on WP as bad as BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    It's imposing IMHO, but at least they're all native. Windows 10 is supposed to help.
    09-28-15 11:25 AM
    Is the app gap on WP as bad as BlackBerry?
    I think I read that Windows phone 10 will run android apps. BlackBerry 10 uses an android runtime for android apps. Windows phone 10 will somehow convert android apps to run on Windows 10. Something like that.
    09-28-15 11:30 AM
    I think I read that Windows phone 10 will run android apps. BlackBerry 10 uses an android runtime for android apps. Windows phone 10 will somehow convert android apps to run on Windows 10. Something like that.
    I think it has a system that will allow developers to compile iOS and Android apps quicker.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    09-28-15 01:20 PM
    Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    It may depend on where you are. I understand that there are many European apps, but for me in Canada it didn't have my bank and it didn't have a usable app for Loblaws, or Canadian tire. Also - I ended up having to delete BBM.

It has a couple of email apps, but one at least had ads which I found unappealing in my email. The native email was very basic (for Outlook) and basically unusable for my work email - I couldn't flag an email for follow up.

I'm hoping that WP10 addresses at least some of these issues.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-15 01:29 PM
    You can also change it so that pinching the HUB brings up your flagged emails if you want. Another feature I missed greatly!

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Still learning.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 01:23 PM
    The OS isn't what killed BlackBerry 10. BlackBerry did that themselves. People who have tried the OS really like it.

Posted via CB10
    Ya. My daughter works at a large tech company that builds apps. She gets teased for using a BlackBerry but they all say it's the best OS out there.

Management failed.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-15 01:32 PM
    BB10 is lacking in a lot of areas that people care about though. For one, you can't even silence the camera without doing it to the whole phone. The battery icon in the top doesn't even show the percentage. It's small details like that which cause me to compare it to WP7. That OS was very far behind Android and iOS at the time but has been able to catch up as far as completion goes. BB10 just hasn't accomplished that. When it launched the gap wasn't very big. Now it's huge.
    Listing two minor items that you find annoying does not equal "huge".
    09-29-15 02:19 PM
    Listing two minor items that you find annoying does not equal "huge".
    It might be huge for that individual.

And let's not kid ourselves. The app issue is HUGE.
    09-29-15 02:24 PM
    And do it with a better phone than one from 2 yrs ago especially when you used a flagship when you used those other devices at the time. Q10 is already discontinued pretty much.
    You'll need more than 3 days to review BlackBerry 10. Takes about 2 full weeks to really get all the features down.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.2639
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    09-29-15 02:28 PM
    Thanks,

Posted via CB10
    In my experience, there are way more apps for WP than for BlackBerry, best ones are Lumia apps (native).

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 03:00 AM
    In my experience, there are way more apps for WP than for BlackBerry, best ones are Lumia apps (native).

Posted via CB10
    I agree with this. There are more apps in WP than in Blackberry World. But if you factor in all of the Android Apps that BB10 can run then WP would seem lacking.

But again, I am waiting for WP10 and how their Android and IOS porting tool would translate to their Store.
    09-30-15 03:44 AM
    I agree with this. There are more apps in WP than in Blackberry World. But if you factor in all of the Android Apps that BB10 can run then WP would seem lacking.

But again, I am waiting for WP10 and how their Android and IOS porting tool would translate to their Store.
    Interesting one. Still, I believe for someone keen and committed to get the app (working), BB10 is still ahead as per now... :-)

�   Qchen, new keyboard, new leak, new life... :-)   �
    09-30-15 06:13 AM
    True. BlackBerry gave up on marketing and advertising as soon as Chen took over. Obviously he felt his number one priority was to stop the cash hemorrhage, but in cutting to nearly $0 marketing budget, they flushed their future market the rest of the way down the drain for new devices. Without device sales and market share, app developers go where the revenue is. Plain and simple. So while Chen may have stopped the bleeding via layoffs and cuts, I think they cut into the quick of the BlackBerry device too far and now they are pretty screwed - even more screwed than at the launch of bb10. How are they going to come back? Marketing an android device? If they can market that, why weren't they or why didn't Chen even try marketing a BlackBerry 10 device?

Typed from my AT&T passport
    They flushed it long before Chen. He isn't the problem. I truly believe in a couple of years after the BlackBerry is long gone we will see a very profitable, lead by Chen software company named BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-15 03:57 PM
72 123