12-24-10 01:44 PM
36 12
tools
    This is an honest true question. I don't mean to start a flame war. I am going into my third year contract with Rogers for my iPhone 3G. I am already eligible for the upgrade to the iPhone 4.

My current iPhone 3G is acting up. It is not charging well, and when it does charge the battery life is basically an hour or two.

I use it for making calls, voicemail, text messaging and the occasional game and Twitter.

I love having a camera on the IP3g but it is so damn slow I am getting sick of it.

Other than that, I love the touch type, the way it handles email and photos and of course the built in iPod.

Now, in all honesty I can go my Rogers store today and upgrade to the IP4. But should I even consider the Torch?
    12-22-10 01:36 PM
    Sounds like you made your own mind up!
    12-22-10 01:45 PM
    You are the only person who can answer your question. If they will let you, play with both phones and get the one you like best. In all honesty though, no one will have an ipod like experience like apple. If that is really important to you, then you have your answer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-10 01:47 PM
    I don't think I have made up my mind. If that was the case, I would have bought the IP4 already. I posted here hoping to hear from genuine users who have used the Torch and the Iphones.
    12-22-10 01:51 PM
    Looking at your listed priorities I have to say I think the iPhone 4 is going to be
    your best bet. The BlackBerry will never come close to Apple in terms of multimedia
    and the manner in which the BlackBerry handles email will frustrate you to no end.

Add to that that the iPhone has a vastly more superior screen and more intuitive
    touch screen. Games and apps are another place where the BlackBerry will fail
    by comparison.
    officelurker likes this.
    12-22-10 02:02 PM
    I still don't get where ipods etc. are that much better than mp3 players but guess some people have a better ear than I do for music.
    12-22-10 02:09 PM
    As hootyhoo suggested your best bet is to drop into a Rogers store and play around with both for a while.

They are very different devices. If you want it more as a music player, for games and app or web browsing (although I find the Torch to be pretty close for browsing) then I would stick with the iPhone. If you going to use it for emails, bbm (if you know other people using BBs), if multi-tasking is important (iOS is a joke), lower monthly data consumption, and a physical keyboard & trackpad, then I would go for the Torch.
    12-22-10 02:10 PM
    I'd get the iPhone 4. Sounds like your best option.
    12-22-10 02:12 PM
    Yea i think if i were you i'd stick with the iPhone4. It seems to be the best option for you. I've owned Blackberry and use a second gen iPod. Blackberry is okay for the every now and then music and media. But nothing stacks up against iOS for pure media experience.
    12-22-10 02:18 PM
    I've owned both, and both are excellent devices, but obviously different. i4 is fast, sleek multimedia device that does all that, IMO, the best in the industry. But as far as its communication uses, NOTHING beats a BlackBerry. Honestly, if I was already used to iOS, and liked my 3G, I would get the i4. The i4 blows the 3G and 3Gs out of the water.
    12-22-10 02:34 PM
    Whatever suits your needs best.

12-22-10 03:32 PM
    I don't think I have made up my mind. If that was the case, I would have bought the IP4 already. I posted here hoping to hear from genuine users who have used the Torch and the Iphones.
    What are you expecting in the way of an answer? Do you want someone to tell you which on to get? Ok. Get the torch. No. Wait. Get the iphone.

1812dave likes this.
    12-22-10 03:43 PM
    Looking at your listed priorities I have to say I think the iPhone 4 is going to be
    your best bet. The BlackBerry will never come close to Apple in terms of multimedia
    and the manner in which the BlackBerry handles email will frustrate you to no end.

Add to that that the iPhone has a vastly more superior screen and more intuitive
    touch screen. Games and apps are another place where the BlackBerry will fail
    by comparison.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see "Multi Media" in his post, the occasional game, and twitter is not "multi media"

That said it is Still a toss up for me,
    I REALLY like the way Blackberry handles my email. but coming from an iPhone already you are familiar with the iPhone interface and there is a lot to be said about familiarity.

What kind of emails do you receive? ( Heavy HTML get iPhone, Heavy Plain Text Get Torch)
    How many of your friends have the phone your choosing? I ask this because if 10 friends have iPhone4's then you get to play with Facetime, if 10 have blackberry's you get to play with BBM

How do you type? if you are a single hand typer, the Torch is more friendly, if you are a 2 hand typer the iPhone is more friendly.

IF battery life is something you had issues with with your iPhone3GS you can replace the Torch Battery and buy a secondary Battery, that is a nice thing, also the same power cord for many Bluetooth headsets also can be used to power your Blackberry,

now as for Cold I can tell you first hand that the Torch's screen is more responsive in -20 than the iPhone 4 was, once they warm up they are about the same as usual, just seems the torch is more cold friendly, so if you Ski, or snowmobile, that might be something worth noting.

Side Note my Torch has yet to Break 2GB on my 6GB data plan, I don't know what your Rogers dataplan is, but assume your usage from your 3GS to the iPhone 4 WILL go up because it is a new toy. so if you are near your limit, up your limit for the iPhone 4, us Canadians with limited data plans, having WAP sites is nice at times.

that is me trying to be objective.
    Last edited by deRusett; 12-22-10 at 03:51 PM.
    officelurker likes this.
    12-22-10 03:49 PM
    If you are used to a certain platform it is hard to change.

Honestly we can sit here all day long and tell you what "we" prefer, but it is ultimately up to you, so you need to go to a store and play with both phones for a good while.

Heck, even if you get one, use your time period to the most before your 14/30 days is up in case you want to take one back and swap out.

And honestly besides games, I get by fine on the multimedia on my 9700. 9800 is even better supposedly.

We all differ...that's why I like hands on, instead of reviews from many different people, who look for many different aspects in a phone.

Time to go test driving!

officelurker likes this.
    12-22-10 05:38 PM
    I'm sorry, but I didn't see "Multi Media" in his post, the occasional game, and twitter is not "multi media"
    Then you missed this part. The highlighted portions would constitute multimedia.

Other than that, I love the touch type, the way it handles email and photos and of course the built in iPod.
    12-22-10 05:50 PM
    I say the iPhone 4 as well. On a side note, manufacturers when they make a device want it to be good, but not too good enough that you don't need a new one. This is called planned obsolescence.
    12-22-10 05:58 PM
    Then you missed this part. The highlighted portions would constitute multimedia.
    I will concede to this,

BUT I can't see how an iPod does more than a Blackberry Torch in term of Music Handling,
    12-22-10 09:26 PM
    It doesn't do more but the user experience with iTunes and the whole syncing music and how easy it is compared to phones like android and blackberry that need to have a different program to sync to iTunes for them.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-23-10 04:31 AM
    I LOVE my 9800! I came from the iPhone3G as well. Yes, the iPhone has all the cool apps, but I rarely used them.

I do a lot of Twitter, Facebook, music, BBM, web-browsing, pictures, etc. I find the browser to be fast and on par with iPhone's. I love the fact that I can actually have picture folders with my BB, with iPhone there wasn't a way to create separate folders for the pictures.

I was also thrilled to learn I could transfer ALL my iTunes music to my 9800. As far as music goes now, I use the Amazon app to purchase all my music (many songs are cheaper than iTunes as well).

I love the customization of BB as well without having to jailbreak it like you have to with the iPhone.

It really depends on how you like to use your phone. We can't tell you which to get. That being said, if you've never owned a BB before, you'll have to get used to the BB platform.

Go to your local store, play with the phones, maybe even take the Torch home and mess around with it. Best of luck with your decision.

12-23-10 07:02 AM
    It doesn't do more but the user experience with iTunes and the whole syncing music and how easy it is compared to phones like android and blackberry that need to have a different program to sync to iTunes for them.
    I guess I never think about iTunes, I hate it with every fiber of my body so the integration with iTunes and BB vs iPod/Phone I don't always think of.
    a

12-23-10 12:42 PM
    I will concede to this,

BUT I can't see how an iPod does more than a Blackberry Torch in term of Music Handling,
    It isn't that one does more but the iPhone does it all much much better. Now,
    I will concede that I am of the opinion (from my own use of every BB since
    2006) that EVERY BlackBerry sucks as a media device, including the 9800.
    12-23-10 01:25 PM
    Well it seems for what you want the iPhone is the best bet. But if you want to text often, then in my opinion one should go for the Torch. But I guess some people like that glitchy touch screen for typing :/
    12-23-10 01:30 PM
    I guess I never think about iTunes, I hate it with every fiber of my body so the integration with iTunes and BB vs iPod/Phone I don't always think of.
    a

Ah, we finally agree on something! I detest, despise, and abhor iTunes.
    12-23-10 01:35 PM
    But I guess some people like that glitchy touch screen for typing :/
    Glitchy touchscreen? What are you talking about? Touchscreen typing on iOS, Android and WP7 are all pleasant experiences. Some people just can't do touchscreen typing.
    12-23-10 02:16 PM
    It isn't that one does more but the iPhone does it all much much better. Now,
    I will concede that I am of the opinion (from my own use of every BB since
    2006) that EVERY BlackBerry sucks as a media device, including the 9800.
    I don't disagree

I don't watch many movies on my BB except a few product demo video's I show to clients over lunch, and I can't hear a beat ( I can waltz to a chacha, dance instructor was impressed and horrified at the same time) so for me the BB is fine for the 50 some odd songs I have, and Audiobooks I download from LibriVox

but I REALLY don't find the iPhone or Samsung Galaxy that hot as Media devices either, for a Media device I want a 5-7" Screen, and excellent speaker quality, Apple devices all seem to suck for speakers, I honestly don't understand why Apple doesn't step up Audio playback to the level they brought the screens up to!
    12-23-10 06:54 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD