I haven't used a berry since the 9000 about 3 years ago. My company gave us all iPhones. They pay my bill and I have to stick with AT&T for that reason. I have had a terrible time with dropped calls with both the 3GS and 4. I dont ever remember having these issues with the bold or 8800. That could just be my bad memory though.

Anyway I'm asking berry users if you truly think it's the network or if a berry is much better for calls than the iPhone. If it's the network, I'll just stick with the iPhone and be happy they pay for my bill. If it can be helped by switching to a blackberry, they would give me a 9700 or torch. I just want to get honest feedback. Thanks.
    04-23-11 12:12 PM
    On AT&T, my BBs would drop calls every once in a while(9000 and 9700). With the iPhone 3G and 3GS, I dropped calls every day. I moved to VZW and had Android devices and only dropped 1 or 2 calls. I then bought the VZW iPhone before it was officially released and have not dropped a call yet. Signal strength and call quality are much better for me with the iPhone on VZW then it ever was on AT&T. VZW and AT&T both offer excellent coverage in my area.

On AT&T, I'd rather have a BB or Android device instead of the iPhone. At least in my area, it sucked.
    04-23-11 12:26 PM
    The only calls I ever drop are those with my wife (they're DROPPED, I swear, I'm not hanging up!). Since we're both on the same plan (at&t), and I have a BB and she has an iPhone, and I don't have calls dropped any other time, I have to think it's the iPhone doing the dropping. I've always had great call quality with my BB's.
    04-23-11 12:42 PM
    The only calls I ever drop are those with my wife (they're DROPPED, I swear, I'm not hanging up!)
    That's what I would say too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 03:03 PM
    I think AVT and fitty are pretty honest dudes.
    04-23-11 04:26 PM
    It's a combination of network and device. Even when I had my trusty Nokias, I'd drop calls randomly on AT&T. If AT&T's network was so great, then why are they so desperate to buy T-Mobile. It's not just for LTE, it's to improve signal strength and network reliability.
    04-23-11 04:47 PM
    Take it for what its worth.I had a iphone for 1 week and it dropped on me two times.It drops on my friends iphone pretty frequently too.I never tried AT&t so I can't say about the network but my blackberry never had a drop call with my provider.

Try to test it out first if you can before making the switch

04-23-11 05:18 PM
    I sold for at&t for the better part of three years. I had far more dropped call complaints with the iPhone than with the BB devices. Just my personal observations though. Take it for what it is.
    04-23-11 05:47 PM
    BEWARE THE DEATH GRIP!!
    04-23-11 05:51 PM
    The only calls I ever drop are those with my wife (they're DROPPED, I swear, I'm not hanging up!). Since we're both on the same plan (at&t), and I have a BB and she has an iPhone, and I don't have calls dropped any other time, I have to think it's the iPhone doing the dropping. I've always had great call quality with my BB's.
    i was just gonna say that!
    anyway, we have the same set up.. wifey has the iphone 4 and i have a torch and i have the same exact situation that you're having.. dropped calls with her.. and her phone usually display.. Call failed in the middle of the conversation.

Going back to the OP's question.
    i Honestly think it's a combination of both.
    1.AT&T being congested as it is, especially if you live in a metro.. say Manhattan NY or San Francisco compared to X town in North Dakota.
    2. the build of the phone itself. specifically the antenna placement in the iphone compared to a BlackBerry.
    if i have to choose between an iphone 3GS vs iphone 4.. i will pick up a 3GS in a heartbeat. ( if signal strength is the issue)

but don't take our word for it.
    i did a 4 week experiment myself when i had the iphone 3GS.. it's quite simple.
    first 2 weeks keep a log of the places and time you have the dropped calls..
    then
    last 2 weeks put your sim on a reliable motorola razor or any ordinary phone..

provided that you don't deviate that much from your 5 mile radius enviroment.. ( work, grocery, car wash, shopping, movie).

04-23-11 08:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'm starting to see a trend. I also got a very qualified opinion from another member offline. Maybe I call my IT department on Monday. Keep the experiences coming. Thanks.
    04-23-11 10:53 PM
    Weren't dropped calls a common issue with the iphone and how many hold it regarding the antenna.

04-24-11 03:27 AM
    It's definitely both. AT&T has areas that are weak or "fringe" areas that phones with strong reception can deal with. The iPhone doesn't deal with fringe areas well at all. I have seen tests that showed Blackberrys getting 3G service (though somewhat weak) in places where the iPhone couldn't get any service at all.

Like others, we are also a dual phone type home with an old iPhone 3G and the HTC Thunderbolt (I was a BB user up until a month ago). except for maybe two or three calls in the past 2 years, all my dropped calls happened when talking to the other half on the iphone. And my Sister has some cheapo dumb phone on AT&T AND she lives in the sticks, and I don't have any trouble talking to her.

If you ask an honest iPhone user on AT&T about their phone, most will tell you straight up that it sucks for making calls, but most of them will also tell you that they don't care because they don't use it much for phone calls. That's why it is so popular...it works well for other things and making phone calls is low priority.
    04-24-11 03:36 AM
    thanks for you guys helpful information!
    04-24-11 06:10 AM
    My experience shows it is an AT&T network issue. My office has both iphones abd blackberrys. We are all on AT&T, and we all routinely drop calls at similar rates. My sister has the iphone and is nearby and almost never drops calls. Although she heads south for work and I head north.

I have used both and I prefer my 9000, but really here in Palm Beach and Martin counties in Florida, the AT&T network is flaky. If it weren't for a good deal for my wife and I through her hospital, I would be out of AT&T and on to Sprint or Verizon.

04-24-11 09:05 AM
    If you ask an honest iPhone user on AT&T about their phone, most will tell you straight up that it sucks for making calls, but most of them will also tell you that they don't care because they don't use it much for phone calls. That's why it is so popular...it works well for other things and making phone calls is low priority.
    I was exactly this. When my company started offering the iPhone, I was all over it. It was all about the apps and the web experience. I have an iPad and that keeps my Apple fix up now. As a matter of fact, I hardly use my iPhone at home or airport like I used to. Its all about the iPad and tethering from the phone. I use it to check twitter and facebook but more than anything else, it needs to be a business tool. I need reliable calling, emails, contacts, calendar and tasks. The berry will do all of that fine and I can surf and play games (very little) on the iPad.

I just got the iPad. Before it, I just told myself I had to live with a bad phone experience. Now I am wondering. I don't want to switch unless I am sure I am going to get a better phone experience. When I switch it will be a 18 month commitment as my IT guys are less than cordial on swapping back and forth. I am going to continue to listen to everyone's opinions and solicit more from AT&T employees. Crucial_Xtreme has both phones and told me in the Atlanta area where I am located I will see better calling performance with a berry.
    04-24-11 06:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD