Alright so.. let me tell it how it is, first post by the way heh.

I bought a brand new Blackberry Curve off this guy I know, he won the phone in a raffle. He has verizon so there was no point in him keeping it. Well I get home try to activate it and no good, they say the esn number belongs to some other guy. I then try to check the ESN number in the software, perhaps it was a typo on Sprints part, nope same ESN. So now I'm thinking, is it possible that they printed two of the same ESN numbers?

I talked to my buddy and now hes pissed to find out that they gave him a faulty phone, he said he'd be willing to give me my money back but first we're gonna go to the raffle people first. I'm just wondering if its possible that they just printed the same ESN for this phone and possibly another. I'm a bit bummed out, this was gonna be my phone to hold me over until the Pre comes out ahah..

anyone run into any similar situation?
    04-11-09 07:33 PM
    No possibility of having the same ESN assigned twice. Unless you can contact the first owner, I'm afraid you have won a BlackBerry lookalike paperweight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-09 07:40 PM
    No, there are no two phones with the same ESN. I would go to the raffle people and see what they say about it, and if not get your money back. That phone is as good as a paper weight righ now.
    04-11-09 07:41 PM
    You have Sprint/Nextel as your carrier and you won the Curve 8900 correct?
    04-11-09 07:45 PM
    Alright so.. let me tell it how it is, first post by the way heh.

I bought a brand new Blackberry Curve off this guy I know, he won the phone in a raffle. He has verizon so there was no point in him keeping it. Well I get home try to activate it and no good, they say the esn number belongs to some other guy. I then try to check the ESN number in the software, perhaps it was a typo on Sprints part, nope same ESN. So now I'm thinking, is it possible that they printed two of the same ESN numbers?

I talked to my buddy and now hes pissed to find out that they gave him a faulty phone, he said he'd be willing to give me my money back but first we're gonna go to the raffle people first. I'm just wondering if its possible that they just printed the same ESN for this phone and possibly another. I'm a bit bummed out, this was gonna be my phone to hold me over until the Pre comes out ahah..

anyone run into any similar situation?
    no because the ESN comes in as HEX dec, it is impossible to have the same ESN ... sometimes there will be a missmatch with the ESN inside the phone and the sticker outside ... but the ESN of the phone is the ESN of the phone. ... The guy who sold it to you or if the people that gave it to your friend and he says that he won it ... then they are fraudulent
    04-11-09 07:49 PM
    so did your friend win a used blackberry? if the ESN is assigned to someone else, either the raffle people activated the phone or you have a used phone.

which esn did you check by the way? if what bmerdinian says is true about mismatching esns (stickers vs what the phone is), try powering on the phone and check the esn under options> status. maybe you gave them the wrong esn by chance?
    04-11-09 07:57 PM
    You have Sprint/Nextel as your carrier and you won the Curve 8900 correct?
    No this phone is specifically for Sprint, not Sprint/Nextel. I'm gonna go get this straightened out on Monday, worse case scenario I get my money back..which really isn't bad at all. heh.
    04-11-09 07:59 PM
    so did your friend win a used blackberry? if the ESN is assigned to someone else, either the raffle people activated the phone or you have a used phone.

which esn did you check by the way? if what bmerdinian says is true about mismatching esns (stickers vs what the phone is), try powering on the phone and check the esn under options> status. maybe you gave them the wrong esn by chance?
    i think he/she checked the phone as mentioned in the previous post. But better to give our the hex Dec number
    04-11-09 07:59 PM
    No this phone is specifically for Sprint, not Sprint/Nextel. I'm gonna go get this straightened out on Monday, worse case scenario I get my money back..which really isn't bad at all. heh.
    No, what he means is that the curve 8900 is not compatible with Sprint. I just caught that part, I didn't read what curve you had won.
    04-11-09 08:00 PM
    No, what he means is that the curve 8900 is not compatible with Sprint. I just caught that part, I didn't read what curve you had won.
    yeah this could happen . sInce both companies have the same range of ESN's so there you go your problem was solved
    04-11-09 08:02 PM
    No, its Sprint and I have Sprint.. its not that new curve that was announced for Nextel, I know which one your talking about, the black one with the yellow in the middle.

Also, I tried to do the whole "##4357*" and when I checked that out the esn hex and the esn dec was all the same. Also the phone number was 000 000 1318

like i said i'm not too worried since the guy that sold it to me said he'd give me my money back if i cant get it on my account.. i'm just bummed out since i want to be using the phone now! i was getting ready to upload the bold theme and everythang =(
    04-11-09 08:04 PM
    One more thing I forgot to mention, which is a pretty important one, they said the esn number is already under an account, they wouldn't say who but they said he was in Nevada which, I'm pretty sure they weren't suppose to give me that info but thats why I'm thinking that Sprint of RIM might of goofed up and assigned the same ESN number to two different phones???
    04-11-09 08:12 PM
    You may not have a bad ESN. It's seems that a lot of new BlackBerries, upon activation, state something similar to the device already having a previous activation. Happened to me on a brand new Curve that had never been opened.

All you have to do is call Sprint and tell them you'd lke to activate your new phone. If your having trouble setting up BIS with the new phone, tech support can fix that in under 5 minutes.

04-11-09 08:18 PM
    One more thing I forgot to mention, which is a pretty important one, they said the esn number is already under an account, they wouldn't say who but they said he was in Nevada which, I'm pretty sure they weren't suppose to give me that info but thats why I'm thinking that Sprint of RIM might of goofed up and assigned the same ESN number to two different phones???
    It's my understanding that it's almost impossible to make this kind of goof. There arent going to be 2 phones with the same ESN.

What I am thinking is that the "raffled" phone may have been one that was refurbished. Again, call tech support- they can help get your phone activated; here- all we can do is talk about it.
    04-11-09 08:22 PM
    Well I'm on hold with Sprint.. they think that its possible that someone might of gueesed an ESN and now their using it on their line? ..i'm on hold.
    04-11-09 08:32 PM
    It's my understanding that it's almost impossible to make this kind of goof. There arent going to be 2 phones with the same ESN.

What I am thinking is that the "raffled" phone may have been one that was refurbished. Again, call tech support- they can help get your phone activated; here- all we can do is talk about it.
    Well..heres the thing, I'm in the military, it was a squadron raffle, from what they said, they had a bunch of blackberries that were never used so they ended up raffling a few off, it still wouldn't make sense why the ESN would belong to someone out of state..
    04-11-09 08:33 PM
    So I just got off the phone with Sprint, they said that there was nothing they could do. They suggested I go back to where I got the phone and hope for the best lol. Thanks for the help guys, I'll keep you posted. Till then, I'll be on the Treo 755p hehe..
    Last edited by MO3iusONE; 04-11-09 at 08:43 PM.
    04-11-09 08:38 PM
    Well I'm on hold with Sprint.. they think that its possible that someone might of gueesed an ESN and now their using it on their line? ..i'm on hold.
    This theory is impossible by the way. I don't even think Sprint said that. I know they might not be bright, but not that special.

Is this a phone you or your friend found? What's the model on the box say? Curve 8900?
    04-11-09 08:47 PM
    I'm also confused by which model Curve it is. Sprint doesn't have an 8900.
    04-11-09 08:49 PM
    Well..heres the thing, I'm in the military, it was a squadron raffle, from what they said, they had a bunch of blackberries that were never used so they ended up raffling a few off, it still wouldn't make sense why the ESN would belong to someone out of state..
    I bought a brand new phone and when I attempted to activate it, I got the same tyof of message you got. So I called Sprint and asked for BB tech support. Within less than 5 minutes, the PIN was released and my phone was acivated.
    04-11-09 08:51 PM
    It's the Curve.. the blackberry Curve that Sprint has..its not for Sprint/Nextel, its just for Sprint.. its been out for Sprint for nearly a year.

the 8330
    04-11-09 08:52 PM
    I bought a brand new phone and when I attempted to activate it, I got the same tyof of message you got. So I called Sprint and asked for BB tech support. Within less than 5 minutes, the PIN was released and my phone was acivated.
    yeah but their saying that this ESN number actually belongs to someone..so I dont know whats going on..

did they say your curve belonged to someone as well?
    04-11-09 08:53 PM
    yeah but their saying that this ESN number actually belongs to someone..so I dont know whats going on..

did they say your curve belonged to someone as well?
    They told me the same which is why I asked for tech support.
    04-11-09 08:56 PM
    well, at least this guy feels my pain..sorta.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f70/sup...ng-esn-130474/
    Last edited by MO3iusONE; 04-11-09 at 09:14 PM.
    04-11-09 09:00 PM
    OK. just got off the phone with Sprint now.. and this is basically what happened.

When a company purchases an *** load of phones, rather than activating a phone one by one, they just upload all the ESN numbers on the account.

So apparently this is what happened with this phone and I'm sure along with many other phones. soOo somehow this phone ended up in my hands..brand new.. I'll keep you guys posted..
    04-11-09 09:59 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD