The reason you are having problems is due to the phone and the carrier.

You said this phone was originally a Verizon phone. This means that Verizon added the ESN number to their database. So, if you were activating this phone on Verizon, there would be no problems.

Since you are trying to activate this phone on Sprint, Sprint's database doesn't have the ESN in their database. This is what is causing the errors.

Each carrier tracks the ESN numbers of the phones on their service. They usually only allow phones that have been registered for their service to be used on their network.

It's not like the GSM carriers who can pop a SIM card into a new phone and keep going. With CDMA carriers, it is very difficule to switch phones between companies.
    04-12-09 07:28 AM

I bought a brand new Blackberry Curve off this guy I know, he won the phone in a raffle. He has verizon so there was no point in him keeping it.
    The reason you are having problems is due to the phone and the carrier.

You said this phone was originally a Verizon phone. This means that Verizon added the ESN number to their database. So, if you were activating this phone on Verizon, there would be no problems.

Since you are trying to activate this phone on Sprint, Sprint's database doesn't have the ESN in their database. This is what is causing the errors.

Each carrier tracks the ESN numbers of the phones on their service. They usually only allow phones that have been registered for their service to be used on their network.

It's not like the GSM carriers who can pop a SIM card into a new phone and keep going. With CDMA carriers, it is very difficule to switch phones between companies.
    He never said it was a Verizon phone; just the person who won the phone had Verizon and had no need of this Sprint phone- so he bought it.

04-12-09 07:44 AM
    Alright, time to update you guys on what happened. So you all know that I'd call sprint and they'd tell me that there's nothing they can do because the hex number is under somebody elses name. I try to get a hold of sprint's blackberry support and they start looking into it. They soon realize that the phone is under a business or corporate acount. I guess when companies buy phones in bulk they don't activate each and every phone, they sorta just dump all the serial numbers under the business account and leave it at that.so whichever company had these phones made the mistake of not taking the hex number off their accounts prior to given them or selling them. About a week ago I spoke to one of the guys that was in charge of the raffle, he said that he was going to get with the guy that donated the phones and I guess he would end up calling whoever the account its under so he can take it off his account.

I waited about a week and whenever I'd check the hex number online it still said it was under a different account so I sorta just gave up. I picked another curve in red on craigslist yesterday for 240 brand new. I talked to my buddy telling him that the hex is still bad and that I'm just gona give him back the phone.

I'm glad to finally be able to use this phone, I still miss certain things about my treo but I been spending the entire day downloading themes and programs for this phone.

Oh and thanks to anyone who gave me some feedback with this situation :-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 12:20 AM
    I waited about a week and whenever I'd check the hex number online it still said it was under a different account so I sorta just gave up. I picked another curve in red on craigslist yesterday for 240 brand new. I talked to my buddy telling him that the hex is still bad and that I'm just gona give him back the phone.
    Is he going to give you your money back that you paid for the phone he won which you couldnt get activated?
    04-19-09 01:34 AM
    We had a different phone, and took it to get activated to store. They said it couldn't be, bad ESN. But we called the 800 number for the carrier and they had it activated right away. Sometimes I think its better to call than go to the store...lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-09 08:35 AM
    Is he going to give you your money back that you paid for the phone he won which you couldnt get activated?

yeah I talked to him yesterday. I should be getting my money on Thursday. Everything is good, its not like he was some random dude off the street and now hes in hiding, we're in the same squadron.

I like my Curve so far. I actually bought this phone about a year ago when it came out for Sprint but returned it since I was going to wait for the Samsung Instinct and man, what a mistake that was hah.
    04-19-09 10:22 AM
    so did your friend win a used blackberry? if the ESN is assigned to someone else, either the raffle people activated the phone or you have a used phone.

which esn did you check by the way? if what bmerdinian says is true about mismatching esns (stickers vs what the phone is), try powering on the phone and check the esn under options> status. maybe you gave them the wrong esn by chance?
    I wanted to know what ESN is so I went to Option>Status and there was no ESN.
    What ESN is?

Never mind just got the answer. GSM phones have the IMEI # right?
    Last edited by krisztibi; 04-19-09 at 03:16 PM. Reason: got the answer
    04-19-09 02:49 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD