www.smartphonebetatest.com

That's how to generate buzz.

'Nuff said.
    04-01-12 09:31 PM
    seriously, its like Microsoft wants it harder than RIM does....

Be bold...? seriously?

now smartphonebetatest is the marketing RIM needs to comeback, let alone survive.
    04-02-12 12:35 AM
    this one is my favorite LOL

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGwY70jkdY4&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
    Bilaal likes this.
    04-02-12 12:46 AM
    I think it's clever, but I hope RIM goes with something more classy. I actually like RIM's direction they've taken with the 2.0 promos.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWcWJBHL3co&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

The bashing commercials add humor and grab attention, but just feel...tacky. I can appreciate the Samsung ads that stereotyped and bashed the iSheep waiting in line for their iPhone. But something like what I posted, that shows the device in action and has a meaningful message is more effective. Like I said, it shows more class.

I don't even mind the more recent Be Bold commercials that have been airing, though slogans like that, and "...tools not toys" are a bit cheesy.

Marketing is very important, but I think there is more of a concern with the product itself and it's performance. The PlayBook however, is on the right track towards a more modern OS like BlackBerry 10. So that commercial I posted really shows off one of it's more unique features of Bridge Remote. This could also be seen as a gimick like say Samsung's "Face Unlock" or Apple's "Siri" which can be very unique, yet useless to many. But these things can sell a product and make it stand out.

But the commercial doesn't include obnoxious talking, shows the product well, and has an emotional, meaningful message.
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    04-02-12 04:04 AM
    I think it's clever, but I hope RIM goes with something more classy. I actually like RIM's direction they've taken with the 2.0 promos.

The bashing commercials add humor and grab attention, but just feel...tacky. I can appreciate the Samsung ads that stereotyped and bashed the iSheep waiting in line for their iPhone. But something like what I posted, that shows the device in action and has a meaningful message is more effective. Like I said, it shows more class.

I don't even mind the more recent Be Bold commercials that have been airing, though slogans like that, and "...tools not toys" are a bit cheesy.

Marketing is very important, but I think there is more of a concern with the product itself and it's performance. The PlayBook however, is on the right track towards a more modern OS like BlackBerry 10. So that commercial I posted really shows off one of it's more unique features of Bridge Remote. This could also be seen as a gimick like say Samsung's "Face Unlock" or Apple's "Siri" which can be very unique, yet useless to many. But these things can sell a product and make it stand out.

But the commercial doesn't include obnoxious talking, shows the product well, and has an emotional, meaningful message.
    I agree with you, every time I see that advertisement, I smile!
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-02-12 06:25 AM
    but it doesn't make me want to buy it.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-02-12 06:31 AM

That's an interesting ad. The only problem is that this is the first place I've seen it. I've seen Be Bold commercials on sporting events. I've seen many ads for Apple and Android.

But this Nokia campaign is different. The commercial on TV is simply that guy from Saturday Night Live sitting there doing nothing and just waiting. They don't say anything and simply put a URL up on the screen. That was the first time I ever went to a website because it was on a commercial.

Once you go to the website, there's a countdown timer showing time until launch. It is a campaign specifically to raise awareness about the upcoming launch. Between yesterday and today, I've heard people talking about it. That's what you want in terms of buzz generation. It's an interesting approach.

Apple generates its own buzz. Carriers create the buzz for Android phones. Nokia has taken it upon themselves to shoulder the burdon of a complete campaign. I'm sure that there's a whole slew of ads coming to coincide with the launch. I personally think this campaign will do a great deal to, at the very least, make people ask about the new Nokia's before buying their new iPhones or Androids.

The Be Bold ad above is nice and has a nice emotional message. My only problem with it is that there is nothing that differentiates it from other devices other than opening on the Playbook. With Apple TV and an iPhone, you can do the same things. With an iPad, you could even do the photo editing to create the image he put together (probably not doing the editing on his Playbook) the compositie that shows up on the TV.

My point is that while you might not like the slams on the rest of the phones out there, Nokia is doing a good job at pinpointing things that differentiate their phones from the current crop of what's out there. I did not get the same feeling from the RIM ad.

Nokia and Microsoft could very well fall flat on their faces despite the campaign. After all, the campaign can only raise awareness. The rest lies on how people take to the device once it releases and if people are ready to jump to a new platform. But at $100.00 from AT&T for a phone whose specs and design look amazing, I think that they're going in the right direction.

The message is simple and is one whose sentiment can be seen in every phone's forums now. Lots of people like their phone but think of it as a work in progress. Every platform has deficiencies that require updates that people have to wait for. This will most likely be the case once the Nokia WP7 phones drop, but it's a good hook for them to latch onto.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-02-12 11:20 AM
    I suspect that there is no one ad or marketing approach that will appeal to everyone. That's why a solid marketing team is essential for RIM. They need a multi-pronged approach that covers TV/radio ads, product placement along with display ads.

I don't know the answer but hiring the best marketers they can is probably a reasonable beginning.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-02-12 03:29 PM
    that's a good commercial, just too long. consumers attention span doesn't last that long. also, i think the video-chat part at the end is deceptive. fair or not, people will see it and think "cool, I can skype with this" and then realize they can only do that with other PB users. that leaves a sour taste in consumer's mouths, like they were duped.

so, speed it up, take the video-chat part out at the end, and you've got a winner.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    04-02-12 03:46 PM
    The Be Bold ad above is nice and has a nice emotional message. My only problem with it is that there is nothing that differentiates it from other devices other than opening on the Playbook. With Apple TV and an iPhone, you can do the same things. With an iPad, you could even do the photo editing to create the image he put together (probably not doing the editing on his Playbook) the compositie that shows up on the TV.
    I agree with you but this comes down to what I was saying about the product selling itself. If they can get more gimicky features to show on TV, it will create a stir.

that's a good commercial, just too long. consumers attention span doesn't last that long. also, i think the video-chat part at the end is deceptive. fair or not, people will see it and think "cool, I can skype with this" and then realize they can only do that with other PB users. that leaves a sour taste in consumer's mouths, like they were duped.

so, speed it up, take the video-chat part out at the end, and you've got a winner.
    Oh, definitely. It's not meant to be a TV commercial. All ad agencies do this. They will make an extended, full version, but will then cut it down to a 30 second ad with the important gist of it.
    04-02-12 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD