Right on the digtheberry! If she needs it for emergency use, get her a prepaid that she can use only when she needs to!
    To bad you can't get a Smartphone on a prepaid plan.
    06-25-08 09:00 AM
    I also have a 16 year old daughter and the only reason she doesn't have a BlackBerry is because she can't afford to pay for it herself and would rather spend her money on other things. I don't think she "needs" one either.

That said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with her having one if she wants one. When we were kids we didn't have computers at home either, but now they've developed into invaluable educational tools. Smartphones, in my view, will become essential as well. On-the-go learning, group study, etc, are all things that will be improved (imo) with a mobile device. For example, my company's flashcard application for BlackBerry (gFlash) can be taken anywhere, can be configured with new flashcard sets via Google spreadsheets and has built-in testing features. Our BB graphing calculator can save parents like us $100's of dollars. (BTW, my kids use my phone to get these apps now ;-))

Ok ok, I'll get off it. You can have your soapbox back now :-D

I'm sorry but I'm a dad of a 16 yr old daughter (a sweetheart)also.
    I do not understand(now don't get mad it's just my opinion and experience)parents who allow their kids to have the latest and best stuff out there. Many times the phone had to be taken away from her both at home and at school (by her teachers no less) too much texting IN CLASS or on the phone ALL NIGHT. I can imagine being able to surf the web also for whatever.. adding stuff to her myspace, pictures etc IN SCHOOL(yes I know they are not allowed in school). Now I'm sure you will say that she is a very responsible girl(and she probably is) but I can't see the real need for all that at her fingertips when all you really need is to get hold of her? yes it's been 20+ years also for me since high school and sure times have changed...but... I think these kids get whatever they want when they want and don't appreciate how to get through life without all the extra stuff... theres plenty of time to "enjoy" the extras. But at the school age level they don't need all the added interruptions or distractions like sitting hours and hours in front of the computer or" Blackberry" waiting for that next post to "myspace" or IM or whatever they want to look at. Let them get through school first. and Cell phones at 8yrs old??? come on.... sure at driving age very understandable and I think a darn good idea for emergency. ok I will get of my soapbox
    06-25-08 09:54 AM
    i'm 17 and in high school.

i've had a cell phone since i was 14 and i've been using smartphones since i was about 15.5. i bought myself a few mdas, two shadows, and three curves since then. well the shadow and curve were Tmobile trade ins because they didnt work.

my boyfriend has a berry too and he's still not 18.

i'm addicted to my berry and i get all my RSS feeds, music, ringtones, and most importantly web and beta os on my curve. i love it.

**plz to be noted that i had to buy the phones and pay for not only the data, but all of my portion of the monthly bill**
    06-25-08 10:16 AM
    Facebook,Myspace
    06-25-08 10:24 AM
    Hey if you buy it and pay the monthly fee fine but it doesn't belong in school... You"kids" that have them can you honestly tell me you don't email,surf or text during class when your supposed to have them off? Be honest

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 10:57 AM
    Well no I use it at school. But I'll do that with any kind of phone. And that's been proven. So really it doesn't make any difference.

06-25-08 11:03 AM
    Don't judge the OP for their actions. As Bob Dylan says "These times are a changing" and with that so does technology. I know when I was in HS my folks wouldn't think of giving me a beeper, their feeling was only Drug Dealers and Doctors need beepers. It is a parental choice of what to give the child responsible or not.

Your daughter I am sure will know more about her curve then you do in no time. Good Luck with it and just keep a minds eye on what might be on the phone.
    06-25-08 11:05 AM
    Well no I use it at school. But I'll do that with any kind of phone. And that's been proven. So really it doesn't make any difference.

WHat happens if you get caught using in school?
    06-25-08 11:07 AM
    My 2 cents.........

For Teens in High School:
    If they buy the BB and pay for the cell phone plan themselves...Go for it!

For School Aged Children (middle school and elementary):
    Pre-paid cell phone...used for emergencies only.

Usually parents do this for security reasons such as children with babysitters being able to contact their parents.
    Works just like a "hidden camera".
    06-25-08 11:54 AM
    I am a 18 year old senior in high school. I just got my blackberry this summer, I'm sure I will be using it alot in school when we are in class to search for math equations and all that good stuff. Also, use it with my chem labs.
    06-25-08 11:56 AM
    I had a pre-paid phone up until now at the age of 19, I just got my berry only because I've paid my own cash, and I pay my own bill.
    I would've killed (not really) to have a berry at that age, but then again I wasn't working like now.

Back to topic, def. go with Myspace and/or Facebook, I know everyone, Like me, has both. IM's are good as well, and def. refer her to Crackberry.com, I'm sure she'd fit in well once she gets used to it. lol
    06-25-08 12:05 PM
    Granted, she may not "need" to be continuously plugged in....like I do. But, lesser phones are marketed as web surfing, messaging, emailing tools. I feel BB is the best, so I don't mind her having what I feel is the best choice. Oh, she mentioned that her math teacher allows her to use her gcalc app in class. And I know that certain teachers will allow her to use the browsing function when researching during group assignments....times are a changing!
    Wow, times are definitely changing. Yes they do have a gclac app and also a flash card app as well.
    06-25-08 12:54 PM
    myspace, facebook, Jivetalk - these guys are a must
    a simple and easy memoapp (still havent found the right one yet)
    06-25-08 01:24 PM
    I'm sorry but I'm a dad of a 16 yr old daughter (a sweetheart)also.
    I do not understand(now don't get mad it's just my opinion and experience)parents who allow their kids to have the latest and best stuff out there. Many times the phone had to be taken away from her both at home and at school (by her teachers no less) too much texting IN CLASS or on the phone ALL NIGHT. I can imagine being able to surf the web also for whatever.. adding stuff to her myspace, pictures etc IN SCHOOL(yes I know they are not allowed in school). Now I'm sure you will say that she is a very responsible girl(and she probably is) but I can't see the real need for all that at her fingertips when all you really need is to get hold of her? yes it's been 20+ years also for me since high school and sure times have changed...but... I think these kids get whatever they want when they want and don't appreciate how to get through life without all the extra stuff... theres plenty of time to "enjoy" the extras. But at the school age level they don't need all the added interruptions or distractions like sitting hours and hours in front of the computer or" Blackberry" waiting for that next post to "myspace" or IM or whatever they want to look at. Let them get through school first. and Cell phones at 8yrs old??? come on.... sure at driving age very understandable and I think a darn good idea for emergency. ok I will get of my soapbox
    I'm right there with you.....I think a parent can do as they please for their kids, but I don't care if my kid cured cancer before 16, there was no way he was getting a BB.....but that's just the way I do it.

In this world where there are no longer phone booths on every corner, I can KIND of understand the need for kids to have phones, but I'm talking about a phone that allows them to call for an emergency--no more no less. A child does not need to text while walking down the street, doesn't need to be speaking to their friends as they stroll down the street.
    06-25-08 01:37 PM
    im going into 9th grade come september. i dont have a data plan, nor need it. (it would be verry nice though) i dont even need all of the extra features. all i need is a phone with texting, internet and downloadable games. but when I saw all it could do, i jumped. its an awesome phone.
    06-25-08 02:00 PM
    ... my suggestions...

weather eye would be good (see if she needs a raincoat/umbrella for school)
    jivetalk to instant msg
    maratick (another task program) will work good for homework assisgnments.
    CoPilot GPS is free for 6 months... if she is driving that would be nice. (plus i believe it has walking directions too)
    yellowpages... to find a pizza place #?
    Myalarm... since the berry only has one alarm... kids are always late sheesh. lol

i wish i was lucky enough to get a berry when i was 16
    06-25-08 02:06 PM
    We got my 9 year old a Pearl. He doesn't have the data plan.
    His first cell was a prepaid unit that he took very good care of until my husband broke it!
    I was able to get the Pearl for a really good price and we all know that the build quality on BB's is very good.

Honestly, the reason he has a cell is for my peace of mind. And because I refuse to read the normal texting shortcuts.

The school he attends has strict rules regarding cell phones during class times. We use the auto on/off feature. Turns off when school starts and turns back on right before the last bell.
    06-25-08 02:25 PM
    Wow, never thought of that... That would be a perfect use of the auto on/off feature.

06-27-08 11:01 PM
    I see no problem in having a 16year old have a blackberry. They are a chunk of change, but a high school kid could even pay for one on his own if he wanted to/had to.. I know I paid for my cell phone and car throughout high school.
    To complain about distractions?..come on everyone is distracted I am a college student and sit on my mac and search websites while in lecture so I think a phone is a min. distraction. And for "having the top of the line" I would complain about the kids wearing 300 dollar designer jeans and driving a lexus.

btw I am 20..
    06-28-08 01:51 AM
    I always use my phone in class...some people even have conversations in class...most teachers don't care anymore because they even use their phones in class
    06-28-08 12:12 PM
    i'm only 14 and i have a bb i got it in december, now i had to pay for it myself but mom agreed to pay for the data plan as a x-mas/b-day present (my b-day's in january) i didnt get much else for xmas soo

plus mom also likes to have the gps for driving around in unknown cities and stuff (it was a godsend when we were on vacation in hawaii)

and i dont usually use it in class, because usually in class i'm you know a bit preoccupied
    but in classes like art and pe and stufff i do text and browse the web, unless painting and what not

cell phones arent a big issue in-class, at least not for me

as for apps to get umm lets see yahoo! im aim gtalk whatever she uses, opera mini! (my favorite! btw) and uhhh....
    07-01-08 02:07 AM
    As a teacher, I will admit that I am always amused by students who claim not to be able to afford basic materials such as pencils or paper, but have the latest iPod or phone. I would love to have an automatic on/off feature for all phones. Turn them off at the start of class, and then back on at the end. I do believe people should have the phones...just not in class!
    07-01-08 03:25 AM
    i'm only 14 and i have a bb i got it in december, now i had to pay for it myself but mom agreed to pay for the data plan as a x-mas/b-day present (my b-day's in january) i didnt get much else for xmas soo

plus mom also likes to have the gps for driving around in unknown cities and stuff (it was a godsend when we were on vacation in hawaii)

and i dont usually use it in class, because usually in class i'm you know a bit preoccupied
    but in classes like art and pe and stufff i do text and browse the web, unless painting and what not

cell phones arent a big issue in-class, at least not for me

as for apps to get umm lets see yahoo! im aim gtalk whatever she uses, opera mini! (my favorite! btw) and uhhh....
    I dont hink ive ever heard a 14 year old ever use the word godsend. I just think thats amazing, sorry.
    07-01-08 03:45 AM
    I always use my phone in class...some people even have conversations in class...most teachers don't care anymore because they even use their phones in class

Yea most teachers don�t care. As long as your phone use is not disruptive to others. When I was in high school I would sometimes use my phone to surf the web, play games and txt msg. My school had strict policy when it came to cells phones. You weren�t suppose to have them in the school. They wanted you to leave them at home or in your car if you drove. The principal would say if you got caught usin your phone during school. He would take it for the rest of the year. I only ended up in his office once for my cell phone use, but best believe he wasn�t takin my phone for the school year. Plus my mom wasn�t having it. She said he wasn�t takin anything she payin a monthly bill on. Anyway the principal only ended takin my phone for the rest of the school day. Man that was the longest day every. I couldn�t concentrate in class for thinking about my poor phone all lonely in his office.
    07-01-08 05:33 AM
    Our Daughter has been asking for a Curve with DATA Plan she is 16 and is currently carrying an Envy,, we got our Phone Bill yesterday and she had 8000 text messages totaling @ $400 We think she is pushing for the Curve But for a while she will be Pulling weeds in the Flower beds I wish we would of got her the Curve now ....
    07-01-08 06:42 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD