OK here people do some reading and I want you guys to read the last part especially titled licensing Google Mobile Services:

https://source.android.com/compatibility/index.html

So remember this Google play services within bb10 won't and will not happen for anybody BlackBerry isn't an exception and BlackBerry making a full blown android device OHA with Google services won't happen because they would need to strip android runtime from all bb10 devices.....now tell me if it makes sense removing the Android runtime from bb10 especially with the recent add on of the Amazon appstore on 10.3.....think about it people...

Now what can happen is a seperate phone with a forked android but it won't have Google play services.

Also moderator if this is discussed somewhere else in another forum please take it down.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-07-15 10:14 PM
    Also moderator if this is discussed somewhere else in another forum please take it down.
    Man, it has been discussed soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times over and over and over and over and over and over and over. You can beat all the drums you want... it's not going to help change many minds. I'm sorry lol. There will never be an end to his Android / BlackBerry discussion as long as BlackBerry continues to use some form/portions of Android.
    07-07-15 10:20 PM
    Man, it has been discussed soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times over and over and over and over and over and over and over. You can beat all the drums you want... it's not going to help change many minds. I'm sorry lol.
    I just need to hear it one more time and I'll be convinced

Posted via my Canadian Passport
    07-07-15 10:23 PM
    Man, it has been discussed soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many times over and over and over and over and over and over and over. You can beat all the drums you want... it's not going to help change many minds. I'm sorry lol. There will never be an end to his Android / BlackBerry discussion as long as BlackBerry continues to use some form/portions of Android.
    Ugh I know but man its like people don't or can't read it and understand....it's so irritating lol.

jojo beaconsfield and highos like this.
    07-07-15 10:28 PM
    Ugh I know but man its like people don't or can't read it and understand....it's so irritating lol.

I feel your pain.
    jojo beaconsfield and highos like this.
    07-07-15 10:31 PM
    OK here people do some reading
    ...aaaaaaaand you've lost everyone on CB.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 10:34 PM
    I feel your pain.
    You should read my long posting under news and rumors....lol

07-07-15 10:34 PM
    ...aaaaaaaand you've lost everyone on CB.

Posted via CB10
    Lmao good one thurask Lmao

07-07-15 10:35 PM
    Thank you Sir.Anthony, Keep up the good work
    Anthony Roberts5 likes this.
    07-07-15 10:37 PM
    Thank you Sir.Anthony, Keep up the good work
    Thanks

07-07-15 10:39 PM
    I posted this as well a few times on the front page article when replying to others and was accused of spreading false information with no basis when I wrote that "to comply with the OHA and Google TOS, BlackBerry would have to remove the runtime from BB10 if they release an Android device under the BlackBerry brand".

I later made a post looking for input and solutions which I'll bring back to life when or if we get some more information from BlackBerry. I thought we'd get something during earnings or shortly after (no quiet period), but nothing from BlackBerry except the statement that they are committed to BlackBerry 10.

Nothing wrong with bringing this up again though as many just ignore it. Had a lot of great feedback in the thread I mentioned though to discuss possible solutions if BlackBerry did release an Android device.

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:41 PM
    So they would have to strip Android Runtime from existing BlackBerry 10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    07-07-15 11:49 PM
    So they would have to strip Android Runtime from existing BlackBerry 10 devices?

Posted via CB10
    As it stands now a manufacturer cannot run a forked Android device alongside another Android OS device under the same brand.

Some have debated whether the runtime is considered forked. Maybe I should resurrect the thread I started regarding this as many had some interesting scenarios that may play out.

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 12:10 AM
    I doubt Google would consider previous devices and OS releases as infringing. The licensing would affect products that BlackBerry is actively selling. BlackBerry would have to EOL previous OSes with the Android runtime.

Google's policy is about ensuring Google's services are present. BlackBerry's goal is to have the wealth of Google's app ecosystem on their devices so they are on the same page regarding whose Android store is going to be on the phone. BlackBerry's deal with Amazon is not affected because they won't be selling a forked version of Android. I think even Samsung has their own store on their smartphones. We can all install the Amazon app store on our own too.

Yes. BlackBerry will have to take out the Android runtime on future BB10 devices. Yes, this is exactly what people have been asking for i.e. full Android access and performance. Yes this is what BlackBerry is trying to achieve. There's no problem here! BlackBerry can sell a Slider with pure BB10 10.3.3 (without Android runtime) and a Slider with Full Android side by side just by the text presented in that document you linked.

What is more interesting is whether Google would be okay with Fully compliant Android running in a hypervisor on the same phone. I don't see why they would mind but it's more complicated. As long as Google is getting their full dues and presence on all Android transactions on BlackBerry devices (Non-forked OS, Proper Branding (boot logo etc), Play store, mandatory Google Apps, Compliant hardware) then their terms are satisfied.

What Google doesn't like is a company forking Android, taking out their Google Apps (GMail, Maps, Hangouts, Plus etc) and replacing Google Play Store ie no Google Account needed for that phone. You do that, then no Google Play Services for you!

My biggest worry is that BB10 remains available to those of us who don't "need" Android. I would rather buy a cheap Android tablet and use a BB10 smartphone without the Android runtime.
    07-08-15 01:33 AM
    I doubt Google would consider previous devices and OS releases as infringing. The licensing would affect products that BlackBerry is actively selling. BlackBerry would have to EOL previous OSes with the Android runtime.

Google's policy is about ensuring Google's services are present. BlackBerry's goal is to have the wealth of Google's app ecosystem on their devices so they are on the same page regarding whose Android store is going to be on the phone. BlackBerry's deal with Amazon is not affected because they won't be selling a forked version of Android. I think even Samsung has their own store on their smartphones. We can all install the Amazon app store on our own too.

Yes. BlackBerry will have to take out the Android runtime on future BB10 devices. Yes, this is exactly what people have been asking for i.e. full Android access and performance. Yes this is what BlackBerry is trying to achieve. There's no problem here! BlackBerry can sell a Slider with pure BB10 10.3.3 (without Android runtime) and a Slider with Full Android side by side just by the text presented in that document you linked.

What is more interesting is whether Google would be okay with Fully compliant Android running in a hypervisor on the same phone. I don't see why they would mind but it's more complicated. As long as Google is getting their full dues and presence on all Android transactions on BlackBerry devices (Non-forked OS, Proper Branding (boot logo etc), Play store, mandatory Google Apps, Compliant hardware) then their terms are satisfied.

What Google doesn't like is a company forking Android, taking out their Google Apps (GMail, Maps, Hangouts, Plus etc) and replacing Google Play Store ie no Google Account needed for that phone. You do that, then no Google Play Services for you!

My biggest worry is that BB10 remains available to those of us who don't "need" Android. I would rather buy a cheap Android tablet and use a BB10 smartphone without the Android runtime.
    Why MUST Android run in the hypervisor? If they would strip BB10 of the Android runtime, can't they just sell the same phone one with Android, one with BB10?

HTC did the same thing with the HTC one m8. The exact same hardware first launched with Android and after some months it launched with Windows phone 8.
    07-08-15 02:25 AM
    Why MUST Android run in the hypervisor? If they would strip BB10 of the Android runtime, can't they just sell the same phone one with Android, one with BB10?

HTC did the same thing with the HTC one m8. The exact same hardware first launched with Android and after some months it launched with Windows phone 8.
    Because over half of the so called native apps in BB world are android ports and would not work without the runtime don't think the apps devs would be very happy or encouraged to rewrite their apps to native BB10 lol

07-08-15 03:34 AM
    Even if it were true that they'd violate with the runtime, which I really don't believe it to be the case, I could easily see BB saying " if you want to continue to be able to update your Android Apps then you'll need to upgrade, thus dropping support for the runtime. Look their marketshare is abysmal, Android could potentially double their entire market in a few weeks, angering the few grumblers will be of absolutely no concern. That being said, I think they can coexist legally.
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    07-08-15 03:36 AM
    Oh yeah well but doesn't it kind of say the exact opposite - That BlackBerry could just request a license from google. Not saying they will get it. just that the link contradicts the not possible due to legat mobo jombo OHA which some hae suggested to me consists of many players, and so they claimed Google was not allowed to license GPS to BlackBerry even if they wanted to.

Licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS)
    After building an Android compatible device, consider licensing Google Mobile Services (GMS), Google’s proprietary suite of apps (Google Play, YouTube, Google Maps, Gmail, and more ) that run on top of Android. GMS is not part of the Android Open Source Project and is available only through a license with Google. For information on how to request a GMS license, see Contact Us.
    07-08-15 03:57 AM
    Oh yeah well but doesn't it kind of say the exact opposite - That BlackBerry could just request a license from google. Not saying they will get it. just that the link contradicts the not possible due to legat mobo jombo OHA which some hae suggested to me consists of many players, and so they claimed Google was not allowed to license GPS to BlackBerry even if they wanted to.
    Yes, they can request it, but doubt Google would give in. The problem is that once Google does something like this for BB, it creates a precedent and other companies might try the same which is in no way good for Google.
    07-08-15 04:00 AM
    Yes, they can request it, but doubt Google would give in. The problem is that once Google does something like this for BB, it creates a precedent and other companies might try the same which is in no way good for Google.
    One way of solving that could be to build GPS for BB10 not saying it's going to happen - But am saying there are numourous ways to go around this. To the best of my knowledge M$ Office exist under license for OS X and Windows, but not for RedHat enterprise. strange analagy maybe but don't really see the problem for Google BlackBerry here especially since competetitors such as IOS and Windows Phone have they own services. So stating that everybody should have Google maps would be an enforcement of monopoly - not the opposite.
    07-08-15 04:22 AM
    IMHO betting your future on Google is a very questionable approach. BlackBerry is on the ropes for their handsets and consumer division and putting all their eggs in someone else's basket sounds like a surrender. I rather go for broke and press to find allies like Microsoft and amazon etc. To see if they can do something to entice devs to also expand their reach into cyanogen type of collective approach to android, apps and security. It's not a quick fix but I for one won't be running to pick up a GPS at the core BlackBerry.
    07-08-15 08:02 AM
    An interesting read today.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...nd_eat_it_too/

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 11:35 AM
    here is a link with info about AOSP (Android runtime) and how we can't have Google play services-lffatwn.jpg

anyone see this yet?
    07-08-15 02:56 PM
    Good catch!

Posted via CB10
    07-08-15 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    That would make lot of people happy, and at6 the same time the forums would break down with whining and complaining. Sounds like good times actually.
    07-08-15 03:58 PM
68 123