I just completed an online survey from Sprint that was mostly (75%) about data usage. (The rest was about texting and voice.) It took about a half hour and promised a $5 credit on my bill. I gave Sprint high ratings when it came to coverage, data, texting, and call quality, but I did stress that data quality was poor while roaming (which isn't often -- a few Sprint dead spots), and that for what I pay, it should not be that way. I said I think mobile communications are generally affordable.

I think most of the survey was geared toward users of other platforms, because it asked about experiences re going "on the web to access email" and stuff like 4g and video calling, but I was able to type in my own responses in a number of places. In one place, I had the opportunity to type in the three data features that I find most useful and that I make the most use of:

1. BlackBerry Internet Service (push email and BlackBerry Messenger).
    2. Instant messenging (yahoo, aim, windows live messenger, google talk)
    3. Web browsing

It asked for any other things I could think of (negative things, room for improvement, etc.), and I went on for a paragraph about how spyware like Carrier IQ should not be included on any device without a customer being abundantly informed (not just with fine print in a privacy policy or tos agreement), and how any backchannel usage of data like that should be OPT IN or OPT OUT with plenty of notice and clear instructions. I even said that I think Carrier IQ is not in use on my BlackBerry, because RIM didn't put it there, and it would be hard for a carrier or someone else to install something like that on a BlackBerry. (T-Mobile's BlackBerry version of Carrier IQ is bundled in an app which a BlackBerry user doesn't have to use or grant permissions to.) But, I pointed out that some other devices (htc) have Carrier IQ baked into the OS by the manufacturers (for the carriers) making it difficult for the user to remove or disable. (I said this to help out the users of other platforms.)

A minority of users on this site may feel differently, but I consistently made it clear that apps don't mean a whole lot to me wherever the survey asked about accessing the web via apps as opposed to a browser. I could just imagine a bunch of consumers going on and on about "apps," and I wanted to express what my needs are.

I think it's important for smart phone enthusiasts to give feedback on what matters and what doesn't. Enthusiasts shouldn't just leave this job to the average consumer.
    12-27-11 02:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD