I am BRAND NEW to the BB world and am planning on buying a blackberry this weekend. I am torn though, on which phone I should go with. Originally I was trying to decide between the Storm and the World Edition, but now I am wondering if I should consider the Curve too. I was hoping to get some suggestions on what would work best for me....

The main reason I am getting it is because I would like to use it for work purposes -- mostly emailing. Phone calls and text messaging are important too, though. I have a piece of junk phone right now, so anything will be a step up from that.

So far, what I like most about the Storm is that you get pages in full HTML and you can open and edit PPT, Excel, and Word attachments. BUT I have always been reluctant to buy a touchscreen phone. As for the World Edition (and maybe the Curve too), I like that they have the full keyboard. But I don't think they have full HTML. -- Can I get some recommendations from some experienced BBerry users/owners? What are other pros and cons to these phones?

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
    Last edited by mollyfr; 04-23-09 at 06:54 PM.
    04-23-09 06:51 PM
    Well...there are some questions to ask yourself...do you want a camera on the phone? If so, no world edition. Also, the WE doesn't have the same amount of memory as the Curve or Storm. So basically...if you are mainly just emailing/texting and such...I think you'd be ok with the WE. But if you want some apps on there, you may experience memory leaking.

As far as the curve vs storm...i guess its really a matter of what of you like more. I know the Storm has more memory (I know other Storm users will pop in with more insight; I have the curve and we). The Curve has no touch features at all.

Have you gotten to actually use the phone in the store and such>?
    04-23-09 07:04 PM
    if you leave the country ever for business, the world would be the way to go. the storm is not a good emailing and messaging phone, IMO(flame away people)
    04-23-09 07:06 PM
    It basically boils down to a small handfull of questions:
    1st: do you travel internationally often? if so, then the WE or the Storm are your choices
    2nd: Camera? WE has no camera
    3rd: Touchscreen. Are you patient enough to learn a whole new interface including touch? The Curve is a GREAT device, its got all the kinks worked out and has a mostly the same features as the Storm. (if you get a curve with 4.5, it has PPT, Word, and Exel capabilities)

I have the storm and love it, but you have to ask yourself how patient you are. I tend to think that for an entry-level user the Curve is probably the safest choice.

*On a side note: unless you DO travel overseas, there is no reason to get the WE, the curve offers much better Java support, more on-board memory, and upgrades to v4.5 give you many of the same functions as the STORM.
    Last edited by C4pt4inWinky; 04-23-09 at 07:16 PM.
    04-23-09 07:13 PM
    The World Edition is both GSM and CDMA...
    04-23-09 07:17 PM
    For an entry level new BB user I think the storm will be a good device.

I would advise updating the software to a newer build once you get it. Normally BB Vets dont move well to the touchscreen vs keyboard. I would really look to a curve vs storm as they have the camera which expands the media usage of the device.

Or if you have time to wait for the 9630 which will give you the best of both worlds... The awesome HD type display, 3.2 mp cam and keyboard with a faster processor and more memory.
    04-23-09 07:17 PM
    I have the curve just for personal use and I really love it-it definately is a solid workin device. I have went into the VZW store on a few occassions cuz I am considering upgrading to the Storm when my u/g is due in Oct. But the curve does not 'travel' service out of country like the WE does. The curve has nice email/pix/video/browser features but the screen for the storm is more 'roomier' to see things. It all depends if you 'need' a ph if you travel alot-the WE (no camera), but otherwise-curve or storm are good as well. Just depends if You'd prefer the all touch screen of the storm or a qwerty of the curve! Good luck with your decision-and fyi-a curve can take up to 8gb micro sd card to save stuff to-dont no wat the WE holds-Storm comes with an 8gb card so you don't have to buy one. Good luck and have fun choosing your bb!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 07:26 PM
    It basically boils down to a small handfull of questions:
    1st: do you travel internationally often? if so, then the WE or the Storm are your choices
    2nd: Camera? WE has no camera
    3rd: Touchscreen. Are you patient enough to learn a whole new interface including touch? The Curve is a GREAT device, its got all the kinks worked out and has a mostly the same features as the Storm. (if you get a curve with 4.5, it has PPT, Word, and Exel capabilities)

I have the storm and love it, but you have to ask yourself how patient you are. I tend to think that for an entry-level user the Curve is probably the safest choice.

*On a side note: unless you DO travel overseas, there is no reason to get the WE, the curve offers much better Java support, more on-board memory, and upgrades to v4.5 give you many of the same functions as the STORM.
    Thanks - This was extremely helpful! I didn't think I would, but I am starting to lean toward the curve. Especially because you said it has better java support than the WE. I am not a huge international traveler either, and I think I was just leaning toward the WE over the Curve because I know more people with the WE. Thanks for the help!!
    04-23-09 08:34 PM
    I think you'll like the Curve if you go that way and won't have many complaints.

I had the Storm. While others may not agree, I personally couldn't stand the touchscreen/sure-click despite wanting to. Since I came from a phone that had a keyboard (Palm Treo 700P), I had a really hard time trying to adapt to the Storm's keyboard/Sureclick functionality. It just slowed me down too much and my error rate was unacceptably high. I brought it back on the 30th day and got a used Curve and have been smiling ever since. The only thing I (sorta) miss about the Storm is the size and quality of the screen... But not enough to make me go back.

Enjoy which ever one you choose.
    04-23-09 09:05 PM
    I say get the curve, it's a very stable device.
    04-23-09 09:13 PM
    Storm is the best hands down (With Leaked Updates)
    04-23-09 09:23 PM
    My first bb was the vzw curve, I think if you're wanting to use a bb for the first time and want the best of both worlds, camera and easy typing, the curve is the right choice. Its fast, nice camera, no mistakes dialing while holding it up to your ear like I hear about 1st time bb users with storms. I think you already are leaning towards the curve anyway. Right?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 10:04 PM
    I'm new to the BB world as well, but I've had my Curve 8310 for a couple of weeks, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

Also, this is kind of random, but since you said you'd be doing a decent amount of typing: I haven't experienced this myself, but I have read from other, more experienced BB owners that the Curve QWERTY keyboard is the best they've made since the earlier 7xxx series. There are spaces in between each key, making it easier to type, whereas with many of the other models the keys are right on top of each other. I myself have found the key spacing to be really helpful when I'm typing fast.
    04-23-09 10:26 PM
    I agree it would come down to the Curve or the Storm to me. The WE was a great BB in it's say, but it's day is coming to a close.
    04-23-09 11:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD