I got my wife a Torch 9860 and am trying to move the contacts from her HTC Desire to the BB and wow is Android a mess.

I'm going nuts as of now.

I downloaded Google SYnc on the BB and synced it. Only problem all the contacts did not come through on the BB. Apparently the Android is not playing nice with her Gmail account. Can't figure out why.

So I tried to do a manual sync. Only problem: I have a Mac and HTC Sync does not work with Mac. I went to the Android forums thinking there must be a workaround, but people just make fun of Mac owners.

I have a Windows laptop but it does not have Outlook on it.

Does anyone have a solution that does not involve Google??

I thought Androids were the best in everything? It doesnt even work with Mac WTH. And people rant about BB.
    01-17-12 01:59 PM
    You should be able to copy her contacts onto her sim card. No need for all that other stuff.
    01-17-12 02:50 PM
    You should be able to copy her contacts onto her sim card. No need for all that other stuff.
    Contacts on phone exceed sim card capacity.
    01-17-12 03:13 PM
    Windows has a built in address book, you might be able to use rather than using Outlook

OR you could install ThunderBird or something like that on the Windows Laptop

hehehe Mac users
    01-17-12 03:14 PM
    Windows has a built in address book, you might be able to use rather than using Outlook

OR you could install ThunderBird or something like that on the Windows Laptop

hehehe Mac users
    HTC Sync only talks to Outlook. This is what you get when you license free OS's to these phone a day companies. Zero support.

Imagine the Horror we will all go through if that Samsung buying RIM rumor is true.

I fired up BB DM and I had so many options to sync contacts with. And it works with Mac and Windows BOTH. And yet people complain about RIM usability.

All the fancy graphics and transitions are worthless if you cant get your data off the device without having to do a Phd.
    01-17-12 03:22 PM
    HTC Sync only talks to Outlook. This is what you get when you license free OS's to these phone a day companies. Zero support.

Imagine the Horror we will all go through if that Samsung buying RIM rumor is true.

I fired up BB DM and I had so many options to sync contacts with. And it works with Mac and Windows BOTH. And yet people complain about RIM usability.

All the fancy graphics and transitions are worthless if you cant get your data off the device without having to do a Phd.
    No way to export to a cdv file?
    01-17-12 03:37 PM
    I got my wife a Torch 9860 and am trying to move the contacts from her HTC Desire to the BB and wow is Android a mess.

I'm going nuts as of now.

I downloaded Google SYnc on the BB and synced it. Only problem all the contacts did not come through on the BB. Apparently the Android is not playing nice with her Gmail account. Can't figure out why.

My guess is it's not the Android having trouble with Google, it's the BB. The fact all her contacts were on her android phone, mean they've been syncing with Google for whoever knows how long. The problem would most likely be the Blackberry having issues pulling the contacts from Google. Did you give it enough time to sync? If there is a lot of contacts, it can take some time.
    01-17-12 03:43 PM
    No way to export to a cdv file?
    Nope. The best it could do was export to a *.vcf file which it backed up to the SD card. The phone said it stored 409 records in the vcf file. When I tried to import that in Outlook, there was only one contact imported.

I did the reverse a few weeks back. A friend of mine got the Droid Razr as a toy phone (I will be raked over the coals for this one ) and he wanted his BB contacts on that phone. Just pulled Google Sync on the BB and Synced all contacts to his Gmal. Then Synchronized his Android to Gmail contacts and it worked perfect. But the kicker was that the contacts should have been loaded to Gmail properly. Which the BB did, but the Android on a Sync up didn't play nice with Gmail.
    01-17-12 03:47 PM
    I did the reverse a few weeks back. A friend of mine got the Droid Razr as a toy phone (I will be raked over the coals for this one ) and he wanted his BB contacts on that phone. Just pulled Google Sync on the BB and Synced all contacts to his Gmal. Then Synchronized his Android to Gmail contacts and it worked perfect. But the kicker was that the contacts should have been loaded to Gmail properly. Which the BB did, but the Android on a Sync up didn't play nice with Gmail.
    Sorry, but something isn't adding up here. Unless she specifically turned OFF Google Sync for Contacts, it would sync her contacts at least once a day. If she didn't do this, then she would've been losing contacts that she had input if she had to reboot the phone for any reason.

The only way I can see the BB not loading all her contacts, is if you loaded up Google Sync on the BB, and synced it, but had not first done a fresh sync on the Desire (and she had google sync shut off).
    01-17-12 04:04 PM
    I actually dived into the settings of the Android and checked for that setting.
    It was checked on. And to be doubly sure I forced a sync on the Android before pulling data on the BB.
    Here's the thing, the Android upon finishing said only 238 contacts backed up.
    Now is there an individual setting on the contact as well which might prevent some from being backed up to Gmail?
    01-17-12 04:07 PM
    Can your carrier not do it for you? Does your carrier have an actual brick store where you can go in? Verizon has always been able to swap contacts over for me from phone to phone for free.
    01-17-12 04:29 PM
    On the Android, go to Settings>Accounts&sync>and then click on her Gmail account. There will be a list of things under there (such as Contacts, gmail, calendar etc) It's possible the Contacts got turned off in there..but then it wouldn't have synced at all.

You say after it synced on the Android, it said only 238 contacts backed up. Does that mean she had more, and then lost them after the sync? Because that's what would have happened if it didnt sync properly.
    01-17-12 04:32 PM
    android can merge contacts from many sources and have them all show under "people" app. Take your facebook contacts, these will show up in your people app but these will not be transferred to google servers. If you log on to your google account online how many contacts does it show there? Those would be the only ones you can transfer over to here BB.
    01-17-12 04:33 PM
    @Rick,
    I checked exactly there.
    Everything was checked on. Including Contacts.

@Matt
    Yes all contacts were merged in the Address Book, but only the ones with numbers got sent to gmail. That wouldn't have been a problem, and I assumed what you mentioned earlier, but then my wife told me that she was missing some phone numbers which she had manually fed in. Like folks from work, my number , her relatives etc.

That's when I checked the phone and saw that she had 409 Numbers besides the Facebook contacts and e-mails, but only 238 went through to the BB.
    There were other numbers on the SIM card, but that was not a problem.

My other problem is why doesn't the Android Sync with Mac over USB?? At least HTC doesn't.
    01-17-12 04:50 PM
    android can merge contacts from many sources and have them all show under "people" app. Take your facebook contacts, these will show up in your people app but these will not be transferred to google servers. If you log on to your google account online how many contacts does it show there? Those would be the only ones you can transfer over to here BB.
    This is what I was thinking. My daughters galazys drive me crazy because of this. When ever I upgrade her phones I think I lose some of her contacts because there's less moved than what was showed. It always turns out the missed contacts is her facebook and other things.
    You said 9860 so that means your on a gsm network. If you happen to be on att you can upload her contacts from her droid then put em on her blackberry. Att doesn't charge for this up to 2gb I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-12 04:59 PM
    When she creates new contacts she might have not chosen "google" as the storage account. I have seen people choose "phone" or whatever and those will not be stored online either.

You should be able to export contacts to that VCF file like mentioned but you might need an in between to load it correctly on the BB
    01-17-12 05:13 PM
    When she creates new contacts she might have not chosen "google" as the storage account. I have seen people choose "phone" or whatever and those will not be stored online either.

You should be able to export contacts to that VCF file like mentioned but you might need an in between to load it correctly on the BB
    Didnt know that there was an option to save to google or phone.If there is then she would have done exactly that. That would explain why some contacts didnt go through.

As for the VCF file, I tried to import it in Outlook and it didnt work. There was only one contact in that file even though the Android sais that the VCF file has 409 records.

The other problem is why won't the Android work with Mac? They want a Mac user to begging for a Windows PC or something?
    01-17-12 05:26 PM
    When I was using Android i found out that if the contacts were created on the phone as local contacts and not a google contact then it would not sync them to google.
    So i had to export them to my computer and then import them into Google via the website and then the android got them so that might work.
    01-17-12 06:02 PM
    The other problem is why won't the Android work with Mac? They want a Mac user to begging for a Windows PC or something?
    Works perfectly for me. Drag and drop worked fine. Rooting and loading custom ROMs worked fine. Syncing my contacts to Google (which I have been doing for years) and easily having it sync to my address book on my Mac works fine.

When I got my iPhone 4 after selling my Droid X, all I had to do was add my Gmail account through exchange and all my contacts were on my iPhone in under a minute. This has been working like this for me for years. I'm sorry it isn't working as well for you.
    01-17-12 06:04 PM
    You can export all the "phone contacts" to a file then import them all back on the phone and change the storage to "google" i did this before for a couple contacts just to clean things up.
    01-17-12 06:34 PM
    Is there anyway you can just email each contact as an attachment one by one?
    01-17-12 06:36 PM
    Works perfectly for me. Drag and drop worked fine. Rooting and loading custom ROMs worked fine. Syncing my contacts to Google (which I have been doing for years) and easily having it sync to my address book on my Mac works fine.

When I got my iPhone 4 after selling my Droid X, all I had to do was add my Gmail account through exchange and all my contacts were on my iPhone in under a minute. This has been working like this for me for years. I'm sorry it isn't working as well for you.
    I meant sync PIM. And I dont want to Root it to get USB drag and drop. For HTC I have to put it in developer mode and allow ad-hoc USB connections. BB syncs the PIM through DM on Mac. No rooting, no developer mode and again no need to take classes.
    01-17-12 11:15 PM
    You can export all the "phone contacts" to a file then import them all back on the phone and change the storage to "google" i did this before for a couple contacts just to clean things up.
    OK. Thats a decent solution. Will try this. Thanks.
    01-17-12 11:16 PM
    Is there anyway you can just email each contact as an attachment one by one?
    Yes there is. You send a vcf file by sms or email. But it would be PITA to do this for 400+ contacts individually.
    01-17-12 11:18 PM
    To the OP- try this if you haven't found a solution.

Make sure you are running Lion on your Mac. Make sure that the Android's contacts are synced with the Google account.

Next, open the native Address Book application on the Mac. Click Address Book>Preferences>Accounts>On My Mac Local and put a check box on "Synchronize with Google". It will now ask your for your Google account credentials.

Once you are done, you should see a Sync icon on the upper right corner of your Mac (they look like two arrows in a circular shape). Click that and click "Sync Now".

It might take several attempts on the "Sync Now" step but if you did everything right, you should see your Address Book populate with your Google Contacts.

Now that you have your contacts on the Address Book, use the Blackberry Desktop Software for Mac to sync it to the Blackberry.

Let me know if that helps.
    01-18-12 02:18 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD