Hello

I just got laid off today. I had a corporate phone plan, but the device is owned by me.

I have called Bell to reduce my plan fro lower voice and data.

I need to keep my contacts, memos, etc. Can't save my email as I was let go effective immediately.

What is the best way to do this? Save data, wipe device and start afresh?

Or is there a way to just disable Enterprise Activation?
    05-31-12 01:27 PM
    Very sorry to hear about your situation. Been there, done that, in no hurry to do it again.

As for your phone... Before anything else, do a complete backup with Desktop Software. I might even suggest installing BBSAK and backing up your 3rd party apps, too.

Next, contact Bell about changing your BB plan from BES to BIS. I'm not sure how they might label each type of plan, as I think all carriers call them something different. But one will be something like Enterprise Data Plan, and the other will be something like Personal Data Plan. Bell should be able to do this pretty quickly. You may need to manually remove your old company email if this change doesn't do it automatically. That should be all you need to do. If for some reason you need to do a wipe in order to complete the plan change, you should be able to restore from your last backup.

I did this once myself, but it was after purchasing a new phone, not on the same phone, so I may be leaving out a few details. Hope this helps, and best of luck with he new job search. And remember - your next job could very well be better than your last.
    jafobabe and shaf77 like this.
    05-31-12 01:45 PM
    Very sorry to hear about your situation. Been there, done that, in no hurry to do it again.

As for your phone... Before anything else, do a complete backup with Desktop Software. I might even suggest installing BBSAK and backing up your 3rd party apps, too.

Next, contact Bell about changing your BB plan from BES to BIS. I'm not sure how they might label each type of plan, as I think all carriers call them something different. But one will be something like Enterprise Data Plan, and the other will be something like Personal Data Plan. Bell should be able to do this pretty quickly. You may need to manually remove your old company email if this change doesn't do it automatically. That should be all you need to do. If for some reason you need to do a wipe in order to complete the plan change, you should be able to restore from your last backup.

I did this once myself, but it was after purchasing a new phone, not on the same phone, so I may be leaving out a few details. Hope this helps, and best of luck with he new job search. And remember - your next job could very well be better than your last.
    Thanks. Done a full backup and apps backup with BBSAK. Where does bbsak store the backup?

Called Bell - they do not diffrentiate between BES and BIS.

Now.. Should I wipe and start afresh? What happens to my BBM contacts?
    Or can i remove bes setup?
    05-31-12 02:05 PM
    Sorry, I don't have a computer in front of me with BBSAK to see where it stores the backups. But I think if you go to restore, it automatically points you to their location.

Also sorry that I can't offer any more info on disabling BES. My only experience with it was through my carrier, which does differentiate between the two. I do know that you can backup your BBM contacts to your SD card and restore them later (in BBM, go to Menu > Options, then scroll down to Backup Management > Back Up > Back up files locally). Any other Bell customers out there with knowledge on the subject of BES/BIS?
    jafobabe likes this.
    05-31-12 02:43 PM
    Hi shaff77-

I've used BBSAK countless times, but have never looked at specifically where it backs up the files to. However, just off of the top of my head, I believe it just plops it into your Documents, into a designated folder, (Blackberry, BBSAK, etc.). I didn't search the forums, but I'm certain the answer is there.

In terms of Bell and BIS, have you logged into the Bell BIS/BES internet portal?

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=bell

You should have a plethora of options once you get in which may help you deactivate.

To clarify, you cannot just wipe the device and have it stop functioning as a catch-all for the email accounts that you setup.

If you have done a full backup with BBSAK and Desktop Manager, feel free to wipe the device if you intend to sell (would be a good step). However, you will need to figure out a way to break the tie between your device (the device pin actually) and the BIS/BES configuration on the Blackberry network.

As far as your BBM contacts, you can go into BBM and establish a backup remotely through an email account, or on the device, or on a removable MicroSD card, or Desktop manager will also have backed that info up also.

However, if you only have a handful of contacts, and you do not want to spend the time figuring this out, you can opt to view your contacts alpha-numeric pin, and just write it down.

Hope this helps! Keep your chin up!
    05-31-12 02:46 PM
    Sorry to hear about this. Keep positive. CrackBerry will help you with your BlackBerry.
    05-31-12 02:47 PM
    Default BBSAK file locations are:

Backups: C:\Program Files (x86)\BBSAK\Backup
    App CODs: C:\Program Files (x86)\BBSAK\CODs

Your installation folder may not be C:\Program Files (x86)\BBSAK, so if necessary, replace with wherever you have installed it.

Good luck with your job search.
    05-31-12 02:56 PM
    There are also utilities (like MagicBerry) that will allow you to edit the backup file and only keep certain stuff and delete others. For example, you can keep your SMS history for viewing on a PC but delete the addressbook, etc.

Hope you find a job soon!
    05-31-12 03:43 PM
    thank you all for the tips and encouragement.
    05-31-12 03:54 PM
    Good luck.

Regarding the Enterprise Activation, I believe that Bell should send you the BIS service books, so you can add your personal emails to the phone. I don't think that happens on the user end.
    05-31-12 05:37 PM
    First of all, so sorry to hear about this. S**t happens to the best people sometimes. Stay strong and you'll pull through.

BBM contacts should be saved and restored after a security wipe. Then reload your contacts, calendars and etc.

Your service provider will send you the BIS service books when you change from BES to BIS.
    06-01-12 03:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD