Hey guys, I'm hoping I can get some help here...

I've had the 8300 Curve for a couple years now and want to upgrade my phone. All I know is that I want to stay on Verizon and I don't want the Storm. I'm looking for the best that's available. What are my options? And are there any phones coming out in the next few months that I should hold out for?

Thanks.
    12-27-10 10:40 AM
    New phones are always coming out and we don't know what they all are. If you need a phone now, go to the store and see what YOU like the best. MY opinion should mean nothing to you, nor should anyone else's. different needs, different strokes, etc.
    12-27-10 10:45 AM
    You need to ask yourself what you'd like to have that your 8330 doesn't offer you currently. Are there certain specs that you'd want? Things that you know you don't want?
    12-27-10 10:48 AM
    I'm just very technologically unsavvy and looking for more educated opinions.

I know that my current Curve isn't even 3G, so I definitely would like that upgraded. Is there anything operating on this "4G" network yet?

Also, what is the most recent introduced Blackberry available on VZ? Is it the Bold 9650?

And I know that not everyone knows for sure what/when new phones will come out, but are there any that have already been announced?
    12-27-10 10:50 AM
    First thing is to ask yourself is what do you use your phone for on a daily basis and what extra features do I want/need? The best BB out right now is the Torch 9800 or Bold 9780. Supposedly there will be a 4G LTE BB coming out sometime next year so if you can wait till then that might be another option.
    12-27-10 10:52 AM
    Also, what is the most recent introduced Blackberry available on VZ? Is it the Bold 9650?
    Thats the current top BB on Verizon.
    12-27-10 10:54 AM
    There isn't currently anything that has been announced, I would look to see a updated version of the Storm sometime next year (just a guess).

Technically your Curve 8330 is 3G, it's just a lower speed of 3G. Any BB that you upgrade to on VZW will be the higher speed. There is no BB currently that supports VZW's 4G LTE network.

Yes, the Bold 9650 is the newest BB model available for VZW. It's a nice device, has the larger, clearer screen, 512mb of memory (compared to the 96mb in your Curve), 3.2mb autofocus camera, trackpad, WiFi, and will support OS6.

There is also the Curve 3G that just recently got launched. It shares the same screen and camera (sans flash) as your 8330, but has 512mb of memory, WiFi, and will also support OS6.

The best thing you can do is to go to the store and play around with a couple of the displays. That's really the only way that you'll get a good feel for each device.
    12-27-10 10:55 AM
    Hey, Ill offer you some advice, and like the others said it is ultimately a personal preference. I had 3 8330's over a span of 3 years and it was and probably always will be my favorite Blackberry. If you are used to the 8330 and you like the traditional Blackberry feel I would definitely go with the Bold 9650. As far as "newest" it would be the Curve 3G 9330 but my wife has it and while it is a nice device it doesnt compare to the 9650. The Curve 3G is not really much of an upgrade from the 8330 as far as screen resolution and camera go they are the same as what you currently have. Another frustrating thing about the Curve 3G is no flash on the camera. Now the positives of the Curve 3G... It does have the 512mb internal storage and it will run Blackberry os6 which to me is a great improvement from os 5. It really depends on your budget. Im pretty sure you can pick up the Curve 3G for 0-30 dollars with a new 2 year agreement. If you dont mind spending 100 or so the Bold 9650 gives you everything the Curve 3G has plus a much better screen resolution, a 3.2 mp camera with flash and just an overall better built device. Again the choice is yours but If a storm is not an option I would say those are your 2 best choices. Good luck and either way you go it will be a berry so you cant go wrong!!
    Last edited by capathy21; 12-27-10 at 11:00 AM.
    12-27-10 10:57 AM
    There isn't currently anything that has been announced, I would look to see a updated version of the Storm sometime next year (just a guess).

Technically your Curve 8330 is 3G, it's just a lower speed of 3G. Any BB that you upgrade to on VZW will be the higher speed. There is no BB currently that supports VZW's 4G LTE network.

Yes, the Bold 9650 is the newest BB model available for VZW. It's a nice device, has the larger, clearer screen, 512mb of memory (compared to the 96mb in your Curve), 3.2mb autofocus camera, trackpad, WiFi, and will support OS6.

There is also the Curve 3G that just recently got launched. It shares the same screen and camera (sans flash) as your 8330, but has 512mb of memory, WiFi, and will also support OS6.

The best thing you can do is to go to the store and play around with a couple of the displays. That's really the only way that you'll get a good feel for each device.
    So if I know for certain that I don't want a Storm or Torch is the 9650 my best bet? When did it come out? And do you have any idea when a new version might be released, or a new phone that is similar but superior will be introduced?
    12-27-10 10:58 AM
    So if I know for certain that I don't want a Storm or Torch is the 9650 my best bet? When did it come out? And do you have any idea when a new version might be released, or a new phone that is similar but superior will be introduced?
    The Bold 9650 has been out for a while, not sure the exact launch date. It came out as a refresh to the Tour 9630. I don't anticipate a new version of this model to be released anytime soon, RIM seems to be currently bringing most of their other devices in line with the specs on the 9650. The only thing I could see coming out being superior would be a version of the Storm3.
    12-27-10 11:04 AM
    What is the difference between the 9650 and the 9780 someone suggested above?
    12-27-10 11:05 AM
    Are you aware you have 30 days to try a phone? if you end up not liking one, just go back to the Verizon store for a refund/exchange. you'll pay a fee if you exchange it for something else, but if you put an old phone back in service for a minimum of 3 days, they waive the fee. I've done that a couple of times.
    12-27-10 11:09 AM
    Well the 9780 is the GSM refresh of the 9700, so it's not compatible on the Verizon network. The main difference between it and the 9650 is a slightly faster processor, a better camera, and it comes preloaded with BlackBerry 6.
    12-27-10 11:12 AM
    Ok so it seems like the 9650 is my best option as of now. Does it come preloaded with Blackberry 6?

Also, can someone please brief me on the 4G network? I'm just afraid of buying a new phone and then a month or two later find myself on a stale network.
    12-27-10 11:17 AM
    Ok so it seems like the 9650 is my best option as of now. Does it come preloaded with Blackberry 6?

Also, can someone please brief me on the 4G network? I'm just afraid of buying a new phone and then a month or two later find myself on a stale network.
    No, it is currently not coming preloaded with BlackBerry 6, Verizon hasn't released the official BlackBerry 6 to the public yet.

Here's a description of Verizon 4G LTE:
    4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-27-10 11:26 AM
    Any sense of when VZ Blackberries will be running on 4G?
    12-27-10 11:49 AM
    No clue, hopefully in this coming year, but there has been nothing mentioned at this time.

Found another piece of info on Verizon 4G:
    http://network4g.verizonwireless.com...Advantages.pdf
    12-27-10 11:52 AM
    Any sense of when VZ Blackberries will be running on 4G?
    YEP! -- in 2011.
    12-27-10 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD