so tonight i changed my blackberry password for when its locked, and it was totally working fine but all of the sudden when i type the password it doesnt work... and i only have one attempt left and its going to erase everything! aghhhh help help help how do i fix this!?
    08-07-08 02:13 AM
    Outside of entering the correct password, nothing.
    If you don't remember the p/word, resign yourself to
    the fact that your device is going to be wiped. There is
    no way to reset the counter.

If you have a recent backup, you can try to restore
    from that, but that may bring this issue back again.
    08-07-08 02:39 AM
    Ouch I know a kid that got his wiped because his friend tried guessing it and had no idea about what would happen.
    When you fail to guess it 10 times does it unlock the phone for you though? But completely wiped?
    08-07-08 02:48 AM
    Ouch I know a kid that got his wiped because his friend tried guessing it and had no idea about what would happen.
    When you fail to guess it 10 times does it unlock the phone for you though? But completely wiped?
    Nope, it completely goes back to "out of the box" condition
    Everything on it is gone.
    08-07-08 02:56 AM
    wow thats horrible! the weird thing is that IM TYPING THE SAME PASSWORD THAT WORKED BEFORE! UGH! one more try..... this sucks
    08-07-08 02:59 AM
    You can try pulling your battery before trying again. But like AG said, once you're out of tries... well, I hope your backup is up to date.
    08-07-08 03:02 AM
    Shpuldn't be too much of a problem, make the final guess and then it gets wiped back to "out of the box" status and U can then restore your most recent backup. U DO perform regular backup's right?
    08-07-08 04:17 AM
    Did you have NUM lock or CAPS lock on when you changed the password?
    08-07-08 04:52 AM
    That Sucks!
    08-07-08 05:33 AM
    I DONT HAVE A BACKUP!!!! noooooo i hate this im too scared too attempt to try the password with caps or not because i have 1 more try! the worst part is that my friend was trying to guess my password and thats why i only have 1 try left. wow. theres seriously NO WAY to break into it? i remember you could on a sidekick 2
    08-07-08 02:22 PM
    No there is no way to "break into it", no way to reset the
    counter. You have 2 options

1) enter the correct password and go about your business, or

2) enter the wrong password, and start completely over.

This is why backups are important (I know that does you
    no good to hear now).

And maybe consider (a) not letting your friend EVER touch
    your BB or (b) get smarter friends
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 08-07-08 at 02:31 PM.
    08-07-08 02:29 PM
    You should at least feel fortunate and know all of your contacts are on your SIM card (or at least most of them should be if you just recently got the Berry and had the SIM in a different device before!)

Do not count on that, but it is something you might have going your way
    08-07-08 02:36 PM
    So what happened??
    08-07-08 06:39 PM
    Were you able to guess it?
    08-07-08 06:52 PM
    wow i ate dinner and im still waiting for this poor kids result
    08-07-08 07:20 PM
    haha the comments.... well i typed in the password which i KNOW was the right one, but it got wiped. sucks. alot!

a lesson for everyone- never change your password drunk
    08-08-08 02:31 AM
    Um, yeah. Good advice...
    08-08-08 02:36 AM
    so your phone got wiped? when you say that, does that mean all of your themes, contacts, bb applications, are gone?
    see thats why i don't put a password on my phone because its useless.
    08-08-08 02:40 AM
    haha the comments.... well i typed in the password which i KNOW was the right one, but it got wiped. sucks. alot!

Damn that's too bad. I would've never thought...
    08-08-08 02:44 AM
    so your phone got wiped? when you say that, does that mean all of your themes, contacts, bb applications, are gone?
    see thats why i don't put a password on my phone because its useless.

Yes, that's what 'wiped' means.

And locking your BB is only "useless" until someone finds/steals your BB and has all of your personal information and that of your friends, coworkers and relatives.

They couldn't possibly do anything bad with that...
    08-08-08 02:52 AM

FOOORRR SPPPAAARRRTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

08-08-08 03:24 AM
    FOOORRR SPPPAAARRRTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
    That Leonidas. He's one crazy guy...
    08-08-08 03:41 AM
    This is just happening to us. Went to the shops, came back and from no where the phone wouldn't recognise the password. The thing is we NEVER changed it. IT just now won't recognise it. Plus, it used to show stars when we entered the password, which is numerical. Now not only does it show what were typing, but it automatically types it alphabetically. There are 2 goes left.

I have tried the numlock and everything. Even tried typing "blackberry".

Soft reset....

Hard reset....

Did a back up a while ago but gonna loose a fair bit too...

Any ideas on why this happened? Like I said, we never changed it. It worked fine this morning and now its weird as ****....
    08-16-08 09:19 AM
    The Blackberry starts showing you what you are typing after 5 or so incorrect tries. That's its attempt to help you. If the password is supposed to be numeric, and it's typing as alpha, be sure to put it in num lock or use the Alt key to type the numbers.
    08-16-08 09:40 AM
    The Blackberry starts showing you what you are typing after 5 or so incorrect tries. That's its attempt to help you. If the password is supposed to be numeric, and it's typing as alpha, be sure to put it in num lock or use the Alt key to type the numbers.

Jeff, Thanks! You have helped solve my problem. Luckily (before I read your reply) we were at the final attempt and I just decided to punch the buttons that corresponded with the 4 digit numeric password. I could see that it was putting in letters instead of numbers but I was slightly over it. Well, it unlocked.

From what Jeff said I did an experiment with mine and messed up the first 5 attempts at unlocking my phone. From there I could see what I was inputting and realised that although within the password setting page my own 4 digit password is made up of 4 numbers, during the un-locking process the blackberry only accepts the exact keys you selected, not necessarily the digits you thought they represented.

My girlfriend had tried to unlock her blackberry 4 or 5 times before she came to me and we can only assume that her numlock must have been on to cause her password not to work.
    When I began trying and saw letters as opposed to numbers being inputted I tried using the ALT key.
    I'm pretty sure the numlock was never on...but it just must have been.

Thanks again Jeff. I'm sorry the original poster didn't have the luck we did.
    As a side note, before all this I was under my own impression that as well as wiping all the data, the keyboard lock prevented anyone from using the phone....period. From this I have learnt that it DOESN'T do that, it only wipes the data. Thats still pretty good from a security point of view. But is there anything that completely stops others (thieves for instance) from using the phone?

Thanks again for all the help!

p.s. Jeff, i don't suppose you have read my post about emails being displayed twice in the messages folder? I've been having this problem for some time and really can't get around it....
    08-16-08 11:13 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD