Please HELP! I accidentally dropped my BB phone into water and most likely will need to get a new phone. It's time for me to upgrade anyway. I LOVE my BB Curve with free wifi and don't want to part with it, but I may not have a choice.

My question is this....if I get a new BB or Iphone or smartphone of any kind, will I lose my grandfathered plan with AT&T, since I choose to not have a data plan. I do not want any surprises. Can I just buy a phone off of Ebay or even a site besides AT&T, throw in my SIM card, and be on my merry way or will they automatically adjust my account if they see a new serial number to my phone. PLEASE HELP! Thanks in advance for any advice!
    02-02-11 08:45 AM
    If you get another Curve or any BB you'll be fine (it is treated like an upgrade). If you get a phone where you have to change your data plan you will loose your current plan.

Note: If you have been a customer with them for a long time they may want to keep your business and you may have some bargining power.
    02-02-11 09:04 AM
    If you get another Curve or any BB you'll be fine (it is treated like an upgrade). If you get a phone where you have to change your data plan you will loose your current plan.
    Yup. You're grandfathered in with your unlimited plan unless you either change the plan or go to another carrier. Actually, I think you can keep an unlimited plan even if you change phones. For now, anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T rethinks this if they see a mass exodus of iPhone users to Verizon.
    02-02-11 09:34 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T rethinks this if they see a mass exodus of iPhone users to Verizon.
    ATT is already reconsidering their tiered data plans. With Verizon offering unlimited for their iPhone, ATT is bringing it back, at least for now while they fight it out.
    02-02-11 09:50 AM
    ATT is already reconsidering their tiered data plans. With Verizon offering unlimited for their iPhone, ATT is bringing it back, at least for now while they fight it out.
    I frankly don't see how they ever thought they could get rid of the unlimited plans completely anyway, especially if they're going to be pushing higher-end Androids that are more media-capable and likely to demand even more bandwidth. The only way for them to combat the inevitable iPhone defections is to grab other customers from Verizon and other carriers, and they're not going to do that with the Androids they're pushing without a competitively priced unlimited data plan.
    02-02-11 10:38 AM
    Does this apply even if I purchase a new BB or Iphone? I wantkeep my NO DATA plan and just use Wi-fi.

After talking with an AT&T rep, they said I would have to add a plan. Although, I don't believe too much since they just want the commission off of adding the data plan to my account.

Anyone else been successful with just being able to keep the NO DATA plan and not be forced to add one when upgrading to a new phone?
    02-02-11 11:53 AM
    if u buy a phone from e-bay and just pop in ur sim card u will be fine nothing will change
    02-02-11 12:00 PM
    if u buy a phone from e-bay and just pop in ur sim card u will be fine nothing will change
    Hope you are correct! We we will soon find out! Thanks for your help!
    02-02-11 12:04 PM
    just make sure that the phone u get is an ATT phone or an unlocked phone for it to work with ur current sim card
    02-02-11 12:09 PM
    When I just switched from my Nokia to the BB data plan I made sure I got the unlimited BB data plan. Didn't have to fight with the rep on the phone at all. Bought my Torch from Pilsbury here so no upgrade either.
    02-02-11 12:23 PM
    The Verizon unlimited data, technically speaking, is "for a limited time". How limited....we'll see. But I would suspect AT&T, if they go back to offering unlimited, will do so as long as Verizon does.

Isn't competition grand?
    02-02-11 12:51 PM
    AT&T will automatically add a data plan for BlackBerry devices activated on their network after Sept. 2009.

If you did not have a data plan previously and activate a new BlackBerry or other smartphone (even one from eBay), they will automatically add a data plan.
    02-02-11 06:32 PM
    UGH! That's what I'm afraid of will happen. I do know that is what it says on AT&T's website and just wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with switching to a new phone since Sept 2009 and NOT having a data plan automatically added to it. Still hoping my phone revives itself.

Anyone??
    02-02-11 07:23 PM
    Call your CS, ask to be transferred to someone who knows what they're talking about, and ask.
    02-02-11 08:32 PM
    People have reported putting their SIM card into a BlackBerry even briefly and getting the data plan automatically added.

Unless you have some specific situation that exempts you, you likely will have the data plan with a new/different device.

Typically, not having data won't be "grandfathered". But as indicated above calling BEFORE you do it is your best option.
    02-02-11 08:41 PM
    Ok, so apparently I wasn't put on the unlimited plan. My sister is the boss of our family plan and I had her double check for me and despite being told by the rep with whom I was setting up my new BB plan that I had the unlimited, I was signed up with the 2mb. We have a ticket in now to get back on the data plan so we'll see what happens.
    02-02-11 11:16 PM
    The wife and I bought phones the same day at Best Buy. Mine was a new activation (Torch). Hers was an upgrade Ip3 to 4. She had the unlimited data but when the upgrade got done it was switched to a lower plan.

A call to ATT CS solved it. She was put back on the unlimited plan since she was eleigble to be grandfathered in.
    02-03-11 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD