Ok guys, I am new to the forum, so if this is somewhere else im sorry. Heres the situation. My cell plan is through AT&T and I currently DO NOT have a data plan. Im trying to keep it that way. with that being said I am looking for a phone that can be unlocked so that I can use the wifi function without having to upgrade to a data plan/sign a new contract. Im looking at the BlackBerry Bold 9650 and I see that they have wifi. My question is can I unlock it so that I dont have to have the data plan? I know you can do this sort of thing with the i phones, but like I said, im new to all this. One more thing. Since my carrier is AT&T I have to make sure that ill be able to use my SIM card in it, so what other providers will interchange ( I have found one from T-Mobile and Sprint) Thanks!
    02-15-11 12:39 PM
    Welcome to CB.

no matter what Blackberry you have unlocked on AT&T, once the IMEI sweep detects that you have a Blackberry they will automatically add a data plan
    02-15-11 12:44 PM
    Thanks az, I didn't think you could use wifi without data.
    02-15-11 12:45 PM
    oh really? that sucks....I was really pulling for a BB....thanks guys. Any suggestions for any other phones that I could do this with that are similar?
    02-15-11 12:47 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, AT&T sweep will detect almost all smartphone IMEIs and add a data plan, so your best bet would be to use a regular phone if you don't want to risk paying for data
    02-15-11 12:52 PM
    You would need to get a "feature phone". AT&T requires data plans for all smartphones activated since September 2009. What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements? - Wireless Customer Agreement - Wireless from AT&T.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-11 12:54 PM
    oh really? that sucks....I was really pulling for a BB....thanks guys. Any suggestions for any other phones that I could do this with that are similar?
    I don't think it has anything to do with the model/make of phone you have, but more to do with the carrier. For instance, I'm using an unlocked Pearl 3G without a data plan and have no problem browsing through wifi(either at home or from numerous hotspot throughout the city), but I am not with AT&T(currently using Fido prepaid card).
    Last edited by bullshark; 02-15-11 at 12:58 PM.
    02-15-11 12:55 PM
    thanks. I'm using a HTC tilt right now, and I guess its just older than when it was required to have a data plan. the wifi is great on it, and i love not having to pay that extra bit to use it as little as I do. the convenience is great though when I need it. Its doing weird things now though lol and im afraid its a short timer lol.
    02-15-11 12:57 PM
    I don't think it has anything to do with the type/make of phone you have, but more to do with the carrier. For instance, I'm using an unlocked Pearl 3G without a data plan and have no problem browsing through wifi(either at home or from numerous hotspot throughout the city), but I am not with AT&T(currently using Fido prepaid card).
    It has everything to do with the carrier. AT&T, VZW, and Sprint require data plans for all smartphones. The only way to avoid a data plan with these carriers is by not using a smartphone.

02-15-11 12:58 PM
    I don't think it has anything to do with the model/make of phone you have, but more to do with the carrier. For instance, I'm using an unlocked Pearl 3G without a data plan and have no problem browsing through wifi(either at home or from numerous hotspot throughout the city), but I am not with AT&T(currently using Fido prepaid card).
    Up in Canada its so much more different in terms of requirements with different types of phones. It has everything to do with carrier. Rogers and Fido does not do an IMEI sweep like AT&T does. Wifi can be used for web browsing in some cases but won't enable emails, app world, bbm unless you get a data plan
    02-15-11 12:59 PM
    Wifi can be used for web browsing in some cases but won't enable emails, app world, bbm unless you get a data plan
    Ah yes, that part is specifically RIM.

There are, thankfully, workaround such as using Logicmail for email, Google to sync contacts and calendars and the Crackberry site for app, but it would be better if RIM didn't purposely lock and cripple native functions down. If that bothers the OP, then he might be better off with Android.
    02-15-11 01:09 PM
    Ah yes, that part is specifically RIM.

There are, thankfully, workaround such as using Logicmail for email, Google to sync contacts and calendars and the Crackberry site for app, but it would be better if RIM didn't purposely lock and cripple native functions down. If that bothers the OP, then he might be better off with Android.
    The OP is on AT&T and regardless of which smartphone it is. AT&T IMEI sweep will eventually catch that the IMEI being used is one of a smartphone and add a data plan automatically
    02-15-11 01:13 PM
    The OP is on AT&T and regardless of which smartphone it is. AT&T IMEI sweep will eventually catch that the IMEI being used is one of a smartphone and add a data plan automatically
    +1. I provided the link to AT&T's terms of service in an earlier post.

02-15-11 01:15 PM
    Yes, of course; I was going by the assumption that the OP would change carrier if he's dead set on not paying for data plan. After all, the advantage of an unlocked phone is to be able to change carrier at will. Unless all US based carriers do this?
    Last edited by bullshark; 02-15-11 at 01:22 PM.
    02-15-11 01:18 PM
    IF you are using the data as little as you state, the 200mb data plan is a possibility. Though it is $10/month.
    02-15-11 01:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD