08-06-13 08:09 PM
29 12
tools
    Hi, although I am not a Blackberry user (Don't kill me lol) My Mother is. She has a Blackberry Torch that she got about 3 days after they made there debut (Hopefully that answers what kind it is), and it is pretty much dying on her. It runs slow and just doesn't do anything she wants it to do. Now, while I've tried to persuade her to get a Galaxy phone or something along the lines of that, she continues to say how she wants her Blackberry and how it's "old person" friendly. Now here's what I need to know, my Mom HATES touch screen texting, she would much rather have her keyboard, she also wants something newer though, oh and she just wants a phone that is Pinterest friendly. Since I know nothing about Blackberry at all, I'd appreciate help on which Blackberry she should get, even if she'd have to buy a separate keyboard for a phone at this point.
    08-06-13 02:17 PM
    If she liked her Torch I would be tempted to go with a Bold 9900.. It does have a touch screen but has a full integrated keyboard and track pad so it's likely easier to adapt from what she knows.. She could go with one of the BB10 phones (like the Q10 or Q5 but I suspect that that would end up being more complicated for her than helpful.

Welcome to CrackBerry!
    08-06-13 02:27 PM
    She's really good with phones, and she isn't old, she only 50 lol But she loves they keyboard, I read something about the Q10 but I don't know if I'd be able to give her the Apps that she wants on it.
    08-06-13 02:31 PM
    If your mom wants a keyboard phone the I would say the Q10. My cousin was a iPhone guy then he got the Z10 to test and he loves the touch keyboard.

The Q10 doesn't have a track pad anymore so that maybe a sticky point for her. I know they are releasing a BBOS7 phone just not sure if its coming to Canada that has the keyboard/trackpad.

You can take her and ask the store for a demo of both phones. Just don't let any sales person talk her outta BB with lies. Once the 10.2 full update comes out she can get off android any apps she wants from droid. So apps won't be an issue
    08-06-13 02:31 PM
    Hi, although I am not a Blackberry user (Don't kill me lol) My Mother is. She has a Blackberry Torch that she got about 3 days after they made there debut (Hopefully that answers what kind it is), and it is pretty much dying on her. It runs slow and just doesn't do anything she wants it to do. Now, while I've tried to persuade her to get a Galaxy phone or something along the lines of that, she continues to say how she wants her Blackberry and how it's "old person" friendly. Now here's what I need to know, my Mom HATES touch screen texting, she would much rather have her keyboard, she also wants something newer though, oh and she just wants a phone that is Pinterest friendly. Since I know nothing about Blackberry at all, I'd appreciate help on which Blackberry she should get, even if she'd have to buy a separate keyboard for a phone at this point.
    No need for a separate keyboard. I would recommend the Q10 model, it has the latest OS BB10, which makes it almost on par with an iphone or Android device. It has a biggish screen although not as big as the Torch, AND it has a full qwerty keyboard! It has a touch screen BUT the keyboard is always there too. It's a very nice device. While a native Pinterest App is not available one of our CB member's who is a developer wrote a program to access your Pinterests!

She's really good with phones, and she isn't old, she only 50 lol But she loves they keyboard, I read something about the Q10 but I don't know if I'd be able to give her the Apps that she wants on it.

There ARE a fair amount of apps available for BB10 devices, like the Q10, PLUS what's really cool is with just a LITTLE extra effort you can sideload many MANY Android apps. Heck the Android Pinterest app MIGHT just work!
    08-06-13 02:33 PM
    No need for a separate keyboard. I would recommend the Q10 model, it has the latest OS BB10, which makes it almost on par with an iphone or Android device. It has a biggish screen although not as big as the Torch, AND it has a full qwerty keyboard! It has a touch screen BUT the keyboard is always there too. It's a very nice device. While a native Pinterest App is not available one of our CB member's who is a developer wrote a program to access your Pinterests!

There ARE a fair amount of apps available for BB10 devices, like the Q10, PLUS what's really cool is with just a LITTLE extra effort you can sideload many MANY Android apps. Heck the Android Pinterest app MIGHT just work!
    I can confirm that it does work
    08-06-13 02:39 PM
    You mentioned new, keyboard, and apps (pinterest)...

Q10 without a doubt. Blackberry 10 has a killer browser, and more access to apps than the OS7 devices...

plus the screen actually is as big as the Torch...

BlackBerry Torch 9810 - Full phone specifications
    BlackBerry Q10 - Full phone specifications

well, 3.2in vs 3.1in technically lol...
    08-06-13 02:39 PM
    Awesome, that will make her happy. When we go to the AT&T store she'll talk with them, she's been with them for over 14 years so I'm sure they'll accommodate with her demands. Like she just said to me, she'll never get rid of her Blackberry.
    08-06-13 02:40 PM
    One more vote for the Q10. If she wants to try a full touch BB, get her a Z10...
    08-06-13 02:40 PM
    I can confirm that it does work
    Pinterest, Facebook, and the Internet is all she uses right now so I'm sure if she gets another phone, She'll use more apps. Could she download the Pinterest app that your developers made on the Torch?
    08-06-13 02:42 PM
    Hi welcome to CB!

Get the Q10.. you can sideload the app! You'll get the best of both worlds, keyboard and touchscreen...
    08-06-13 02:42 PM
    You mentioned new, keyboard, and apps (pinterest)...

Q10 without a doubt. Blackberry 10 has a killer browser, and more access to apps than the OS7 devices...

plus the screen actually is as big as the Torch...

BlackBerry Torch 9810 - Full phone specifications
    BlackBerry Q10 - Full phone specifications

well, 3.2in vs 3.1in technically lol...
    Lol, the screen isn't a huge killer. I'm spoiled with my Galaxy S3 so her screen is to small for me
    08-06-13 02:44 PM
    I don't use Pinterest but went in BlackBerry World and found an app for it. Not the official one. So, I'm not sure if this is what she needs.

Help for my Mom, She Needs New BB-img_20130709.png

Help for my Mom, She Needs New BB-img_20130710.png

Help for my Mom, She Needs New BB-img_20130711.png

Help for my Mom, She Needs New BB-img_20130712.png

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 02:45 PM
    9900 if she's not INTO tech stuff..
    08-06-13 02:48 PM
    Sounds like your mom might like the Q10 as others have recommended! It has the best keyboard in class. If she doesn't like it, she can return it after 14 days with AT&T?

Pinterest can easily be sideloaded, which seems to be the only app she's missing from her must have list. Perhaps give the App for Pinterest that the member just above mentioned and see if it gives the same experience.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 02:54 PM
    I don't use Pinterest but went in BlackBerry World and found an app for it. Not the official one. So, I'm not sure if this is what she needs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130709.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	222.4 KB 
ID:	190099

Name:	IMG_20130710.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	190100

Name:	IMG_20130711.png 
Views:	200 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	190103

Name:	IMG_20130712.png 
Views:	201 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	190104

Posted via CB10
    She tried that one and said it didn't do anything on it, all it did was take her info and not even work at that point.
    08-06-13 02:55 PM
    Get the Q10 and she will be happy.

BB Z10 Rocks!
    08-06-13 03:01 PM
    She tried that one and said it didn't do anything on it, all it did was take her info and not even work at that point.
    As far as I can see, that' app is only for BB10 phones, and so she won't be able to try it on her old Torch, since the OS is completely different.
    08-06-13 03:11 PM
    Not sure how she was able to try but it is showing as for BB10 only.

If she's okay with using pinterest through the browser, then that's another option. BB10's browser is leagues better than the one on BBOS.

Hope it works well for her.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 03:15 PM
    I believe Trapeez is also a pinterest app, made by the same developer as blaq, but I don't have any experience with it.
    08-06-13 03:39 PM
    If "Keyboard" and "BlackBerry" are requirements, you have only one choice (IMHO): Q10.

I got the first BB10 in Denmark (delivered in the airport by BlackBerry - thx!) and carried it to BB Jam in Amsterdam the same night along my good old BB 9900. I would have sworn never to leave my keyboard, but long story short (and a lot of beers): I lost my BB 9900 and had to jump straight into using the BB10 as a production device. I never looked back for the keyboard as the on-screen keyboard on the Z10 is amazing and gives you the full screen for content.

I have played a little with the Q10 now and I always find the screen very small.

The choice is your moms, but she might want to play with them both before deciding.

PS: There has been a LOT of stories about employees in different stores really trying to convince BB buyers to go for either iPhone or Samsung instead. There is a huge pressure on the carriers to sell a given number of devices - at least Apple does it this way. If these numbers are not met, the carriers are facing huge losses. They will use all kinds of sweet talks to keep you away from BlackBerry devices, with arguments like “BlackBerry is almost bankrupt” and “Nobody wants a BlackBerry”. So pls. be alert if this is happening, and insist on getting your hands on the device.
    08-06-13 03:43 PM
    I believe Trapeez is also a pinterest app, made by the same developer as blaq, but I don't have any experience with it.
    Trapeez is a Tumblr client.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 04:05 PM
    Without a doubt, she should get a Q10. It's fast, fits well in the pocket, excellent for communication and battery life.

You wouldn't want her to get an old 9900, especially if she intends on keeping the phone for years to come.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 04:09 PM
    I would suggest the Q5. Your mom won't need the HDMI output of the Q10, nor will she need the little bit of extra internal memory and processing power. My mom has been using a torch for the past two years and is getting a Q5 next week when it comes out in Canada. She just needs a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 04:26 PM
    I would suggest the Q5. Your mom won't need the HDMI output of the Q10, nor will she need the little bit of extra internal memory and processing power. My mom has been using a torch for the past two years and is getting a Q5 next week when it comes out in Canada. She just needs a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    And this person is from the US, a Q5 makes no sense. Usually I agree with you, but gotta read first my man

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 04:35 PM
29 12