I bought a Blackberry about a month ago. There's no manual, the so-called help screens and search functions are no help, the DVD that came with is no help, so I bought Blackberry for Dummies. Two weeks ago I was going through the book, and changed the "information" under the "owner" option. I also learned how to toggle the numbers lock. (These are the only changes I can think of that might have caused this crisis.) The next time I tried to unlock, my lock code was rejected. I NEVER CHANGED MY LOCK CODE. I wen to the VerizonWireless store where I bought the thing, and they were worse than useless. The supposed tech guy there said he had heard of the problem, but it was my fault for not backing up.

The next time I try to log in with the "wrong" lock code, I will wipe everything. Never having had anything but a cell phone before, I never dreamed that I would have to back up a brand new Blackberry. I am a sole practitioner and not on any network. After about the second try to unlock, I had to type in the word "blackberry", which I did. But then when I type in my lock code, instead of asterisks, I actually see my lock code, but it is rejected. I NEVER CHANGED MY LOCK CODE. I have already donated my old cell phone to a women's shelter, so I will lose my address book (not to mention some wonderful pictures of my daughter and me) if I have to wipe everything.

Is there anything I can do, any place I can ask, which will allow me to unlock my Blackberry without losing everything? I NEVER CHANGED MY LOCK CODE.

I can receive calls, but I can't make calls. I am not going to give up go ahead and lose everything until I hear from one of you guys.

Help me, Obiwan. You are my last hope.

Gratefully (?) yours,
    Dai Rosenblum
    02-11-09 09:11 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!
    I'm sorry to hear that you are having such problems. First of all I don't think you had the unlock code, it was probably a password and after 10 tries it wipes your device and you can not recover it. There IS only one lock/unlock code assigned to your phone that is connected to it through the IMEI number of your phone.

Where did you buy it?
    Do you have a voice or data plan with any company?

I can't help a lot more before I find out information from you.

~Jazzi~

02-11-09 09:33 PM
    Have you tried a battery pull at all since you first had this problem?
    02-11-09 10:17 PM
    Unfortunately there really isn't anything you can do without the password. That kind of security is something Blackberrys are famous for. I know that's not what you want to hear.

If you are storing pics on your memory card, those will not be deleted.
    02-11-09 10:28 PM
    the same exact thing happened on my pearl. i put the lock code on that day and tried unlocking it..it rejected it 5 times and wiped out EVERYTHING on my phone. I understand its for security purpose cause all of my info is in my bb but really? it just sucks.
    02-11-09 10:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD