Ok I have the new curve 8520 from fido. I have downloaded google maps but when ever I try and search for my location it wont come closer then a kilometer of my location. It wont put me on the right street ever.
    I have a day left on my 15 day warrenty, if its the phone ill just return it.
    If its a setting Id love to change it
    does anyone have some advise?
    03-10-10 05:52 PM
    It's the phone and your carrier. The 8520 uses an Assisted GPS chip that requires a signal from your carrier to operate. I'm not familiar with Fido, but it sounds like they aren't providing the signal. A phone with an Autonomous GPS chip, like the 9530 or 9630, doesn't require a carrier signal and will work with Google Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 05:58 PM
    It works fine with BB Maps, Point, etc... there is a known issue with other mapping programs like Google.

Try BB Maps. The only issue I have thus far with BB Maps is that it takes between 3 - 5 minutes to get a SAT lock.
    03-10-10 08:07 PM
    Ok I have the new curve 8520 from fido. I have downloaded google maps but when ever I try and search for my location it wont come closer then a kilometer of my location. It wont put me on the right street ever.
    I have a day left on my 15 day warrenty, if its the phone ill just return it.
    If its a setting Id love to change it
    does anyone have some advise?
    My phone is the same, google mobile support forum has a post stating that Google has fixed the bug but the update hasn't been released yet. Search for the post labeled "Curve 8530 without GPS"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 08:39 PM
    I found the same to be true with google maps.
    My BB works great with the BB maps.
    03-10-10 09:41 PM
    do you need to unlock the phone to use the GPS?
    or do you need a data plan?
    or do you need to pay fido for GPS services?
    04-12-10 11:51 AM
    You don't need to unlock the phone. You do need a data plan if you want to use the GPS with maps. The GPS functionality is free. If your carrier doesn't fully support it, there may be nothing you can do to enable it.
    04-12-10 12:15 PM
    What people are missing is 8530 CDMA supports GPS. 8520 GSM does not. It's not Google Maps, it's the phone, and the carrier you chose. My 8520 with google maps has me within 1000 feet, which is pretty good with no GSM!
    04-12-10 12:19 PM
    If Google Maps is using your GPS, you should routinely get 10-m or better positioning, whether you are GSM or CDMA, as long as your carrier properly supports the GPS. If T-Mobile doesn't, I wasn't aware of it, but I'm not a T-Mobile user. If you are only getting 1000-ft, you need to investigate.
    04-12-10 12:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD