I gave my 15 year-old son a Bold because that way we all can be connected through blackberry...but now I think he has some bad friends and I'm afraid he's getting in trouble...the problem is that now I can't get to his emails (because I don't know the password), I know BB is impossible to corrupt in order to see his text messages...and also he's in Skype countless hours and I don't know who is he speaking with....and I have no idea if there is any way I can get into any of these, before it is too late for him....any help I appreciate it, I'm obviously kind of desperate...
    Thanks,
    Mais
    Take his phone away. Simple as that. Why would you even try to negotiate with him? You're the parent, there is *no* negotiation. Take the phone away..
    04-28-09 11:58 AM
    The worst thing that can happen in a parent/child relationship is when the child starts thinking they are the equal.

You're the authority figure, take it.. if they complain, ground them. If that doesn't work, make them eat their vegetables, clean the house, take the trash out, mow the lawn, pull weeds.. something they hate. Think about when you were a kid, then just come up with some ideas.
    04-28-09 12:02 PM
    I know what these phones are capable of and what I have access to. Because of that, if my child blocked my access, Id break a foot off in his/her @ss and take it away. Good thing maybe I dont have kids.

Then again, its not like they cant delete things before coming home.

Haha....good one (I was thinking the same thing, not really.....but really).
    04-28-09 12:09 PM
    Everyone has made very valid points. I am a father of four and am far from the perfect dad. We do not have a land line, but we have 3 cell lines. The kids use the 3rd line to talk and text to friends. Ages range from 3 to 10 so I don't quite yet have the worries other parents have. I would say however that you do need to talk to your son about what he does with his bb or on a pc for that matter. Sorry to tell you mom but you are never going to always know what a teenager is upto. Set up some rules and stick to them mom, but let the boy have some privacy. You don't make him shower with the door open do you??? He's a teen, show him some respect but DEMAND he show some back. Otherwise sell the bb and get him the oldest, largest, funkiest, most featureless cell phone you can find so you can keep in touch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-09 12:43 PM
    Why don't you try talking to your son before you insist on seeing all his personal conversations. Kids are entitled to some privacy too.

Feel free to take the phone away, but try having a conversation first.

I 2nd this i am 21 but have had a phone from the age of 14 my self if he does have a Girlfriend he will feel he can not even talk to her if you want to know every word that goes on there will be words that go one that are privet when he is talking to her and so on that he will want NO ONE else to see and even if he does not have a Girlfriend there are things you share with your friends in life that you don't want your parents to know face it your little boy is growing up

Ouch, thread turn.

Anyway, Mais... I'm not going to tell you how to run your family, if you think the right thing to do is sneaking behind his back to invade in his life, that's fine. Just don't be surprised when he sneaks behind your back to hide it from you. Don't get mad either, because as the parent you're teaching him that it's ok to do that.

No there is not really a way to get into his bb if he deosn't want you to. That's why it's the only phone that's cia certified.
    i 2nd this
    Last edited by cybercam; 04-28-09 at 12:49 PM.
    04-28-09 12:44 PM
    I'm still trying to understand how you could get your 15-year old son a Bold. Lay down the law, Mom. If all else fails, just cancel the service.
    I agree. kids shouldn't have cell phones, period. if they need something for emergencies, get them a wal mart special or something, not a freakin blackberry. we didn't have them when I was in school. kids with cell phones were pretty much unheard of. I prefer to keep it that way, I know all the BS that goes down at schools nowdays with cell phones. sexting anyone?
    04-28-09 12:47 PM
    This feels more like a jealous girlfriend then a mom....just a hunch
    04-28-09 12:49 PM
    Excellent point.
    04-28-09 12:52 PM
    I tell you as I read the OP I got that exact same feeling.

04-28-09 12:53 PM
    i was just thinking that or a wife most moms would know what to do here (take the phone)
    04-28-09 12:55 PM
    As a computer tech, I hear this story all the time: I need to recover a password because (insert "good" excuse.). It is often for more dubious reasons.

And where did OPer go? I never saw a follow-up reply. Anyway...
    04-28-09 01:10 PM
    [QUOTE=bkpowell;2412019]Otherwise sell the bb and get him the oldest, largest, funkiest, most featureless cell phone you can find so you can keep in touch.

Haha, trade the Bold in for a Cricket phone!
    04-28-09 01:14 PM
    thats exactly where i was going with my post on page two
    04-28-09 01:16 PM
    As a computer tech, I hear this story all the time: I need to recover a password because (insert "good" excuse.). It is often for more dubious reasons.

And where did OPer go? I never saw a follow-up reply. Anyway...
    exactly!!!!!!!! this is the first thing i thought of when i read this post!
    04-28-09 01:17 PM
    I would also say that, even though we need to make sure our kids are safe at all times, it may not be as bad as you think. He is a teen after all and might be that he has himself a girlfriend, in which case there isnt any chance he'd want you to see their conversations... It may suit you both better if you treat him as a growing young adult and sit him down and straighten this out by talking.

If that fails, whoop his ***, take the BB away and ground him without any privelidges
    agreed here, however, I'd draw the line at 16, once they're 16 I'd start treating them as young adults, provided they've shown through their behavior that they're deserving of such treatment. I'd set the expectation that if you ask him to unlock the phone for you to look through it, he is to do it, or you'll intentionally put the wrong code in wrong until it wipes the phone out, and will do so every time the issue arises and he refuses to unlock the device, and after it does that, you'll be keeping the phone for a month.

Take the phone to the carrier I.E ATT or Tmo and they get unlock it
    no such thing, if you keep punching buttons on any BB, it wipes it, carriers don't get special tools to override that either.....

Why don't you try talking to your son before you insist on seeing all his personal conversations. Kids are entitled to some privacy too.

Feel free to take the phone away, but try having a conversation first.
    agreed as well, however, parents have a right as the ones legally responsible for the child's actions to keep up with what the kid's doing, but, the easiest way to keep up with the kid is to actually talk to them instead of snooping through their stuff, all you'll accomplish there is making the kid more dishonest and sneaky because they feel the need to hide what they're up to from you because of the way you're going about checking up on them.

also a great point, especially since there've been no follow up posts.....either way, hopefully the point sinks home....
    04-28-09 01:26 PM
    Originally Posted by Caddyman:This feels more like a jealous girlfriend then a mom....just a hunch

Ha ha ha ha, could be!

04-28-09 01:36 PM
    You are the parent, You make the rules! Take that freaking phone away!!

IMO I would have never given a 15 year old a BOLD let alone any kinda of BB! IF I ever have kids and they want a call phone the only thing that phone will do is make phone calls and SMS. no camera, no internet and no MMS. pfffft yea right!
    04-28-09 02:00 PM
    Throw him and his friends a kegger, be a cool mom for a change. Stop harrassing him and take him to Mexico or something. Wait, no they have Swine Flu, go to Vegas and get him a nice ********. That's what I wish my parents would have done instead of taking us to Disney World.
    04-28-09 02:01 PM
    If the op is a mom she needs to get a grip and not let her kid run her life.
    That being said if the op is real I will have to go get my gut instinct checked out.
    MY first idea was someone that wants to crack berrys for not kosher reasons.

Solution ... If you are real mom... Go get him a tracphone prepaid min $20 phone , no bells month whistles.
    And then go get some parenting classes or family counciling.

CALL ME AN A55h0le but I'm thinking this thread is not going do anyone any good.

04-28-09 02:01 PM
    take the bold back
    04-28-09 02:08 PM
    Forwarding Rule for E-mails, anyone?
    Auto BCC?
    Not a whole lot can be done for SMS other than restricting them through your Carrier, but emails are free game if you're the one who got him the BIS Account.
    At work I have the ability and tools available to do exactly that, so even if your Carrier doesn't know how, or tells you it's impossible, tell them to transfer you to RIM. RIM is the final word on what can/can't be done on all BlackBerry Devices.
    04-28-09 02:14 PM
    doesn't this sound fishy to anyone else?
    04-28-09 02:20 PM
    It's probably the kid on here acting as the mom because she locked his phone and wants it back. It seems too fishy that someone would go to the lengths of trying to hack into it instead of just taking the thing away.
    04-28-09 02:53 PM
    something is fishy in denmark...
    why would your child's phone need to be broken into? especially if your name is the one on the account?

I'm inclined to agree with the other posters who find this post to be fake.
    04-28-09 03:55 PM
    Honestly, I know I'm only going to be saying what everyone else has said but when I was even 19 and lived with my parents they had access to my call logs (from monthly statements), my computer, and my phone. You have to have an open line of communication with your children. Trying to gain access to their computer or phone without them knowing would just make things worse.
    04-28-09 04:00 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD