I gave my 15 year-old son a Bold because that way we all can be connected through blackberry...but now I think he has some bad friends and I'm afraid he's getting in trouble...the problem is that now I can't get to his emails (because I don't know the password), I know BB is impossible to corrupt in order to see his text messages...and also he's in Skype countless hours and I don't know who is he speaking with....and I have no idea if there is any way I can get into any of these, before it is too late for him....any help I appreciate it, I'm obviously kind of desperate...
    Thanks,
    Mais
    04-27-09 04:51 PM
    Umm. Ask (demand) him for the password?

My parents would kill me if I locked my phone so they couldn't get into it.
    04-27-09 04:52 PM
    Check it out lady, no matter what cell phone u give him he's still gonna have/make the same friends. I'm 20 and didn't get a cell till I was 17 and I was still a bad *** when I was 15.
    So its not the phone that u should be thinking/worrying about its ur communication with ur son. If my mom would have understood that we might have had a better relationship. I hope I'm helping with this.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-27-09 04:54 PM
    As a mom of two children, I can tell you that I would be taking away the cell phones if they didn't let me see what they were doing. It sounds to me that you need to improve the lines of communication with your son. If he doesn't cooperate and unlock his phone, then take it away!!

04-27-09 05:02 PM
    Who's paying the bill for him? If it's you, then take the phone away, works with my kids.
    04-27-09 05:09 PM
    Hi mais-i have to agree with a lot of the other posts here-i have 5 children-ages 15 down to 9-1/2. All have cell ph's BUT it is completely understood that mom n dad pay the bill and we will take them away whenever displine calls for. Your the mom-demand the phone and password or grounding is in order.....my kids hate looking at the 4 walls in their room-im sure ur son wouldn't enjoy it either. You need to try to sit down with your son and re-open the line of communication to understand what he may be having issues with-ie. peer pressure to do the wrong thing. Good luck and I really do hope things start to turn around for you and your son.

04-27-09 05:21 PM
    I'm totally digging webcrawlurs comment comment.pYou p

04-27-09 05:30 PM
    and dont put game consoles in their room or grounding wont matter. They'll WANT to be grounded so they have an excuse to sit infront of it for 9 hours.

Make him clean the room, or read a book, or paint the walls, or other manual labor.
    04-27-09 05:30 PM
    Make him clean the room, or read a book, or paint the walls, or other manual labor.
    hahaha classic
    04-27-09 05:33 PM
    I would also say that, even though we need to make sure our kids are safe at all times, it may not be as bad as you think. He is a teen after all and might be that he has himself a girlfriend, in which case there isnt any chance he'd want you to see their conversations... It may suit you both better if you treat him as a growing young adult and sit him down and straighten this out by talking.

If that fails, whoop his ***, take the BB away and ground him without any privelidges
    04-27-09 05:36 PM
    It seems to me that there is no need to continue to offer the same advice, its all been said over and over.
    If you pay the phone bill, the answer is obvious. And yes I am a mother of three..so I have a bit of room to talk.

If you are afraid to step up and take it from him then you have bigger issues to deal with then just the type of friends he is associating with..
    04-27-09 05:36 PM
    hahaha classic
    lmao.. and not an 'e-book' on some other fandangle gadget... a good ol' hard back... rofl...
    04-27-09 05:37 PM
    I'm still trying to understand how you could get your 15-year old son a Bold. Lay down the law, Mom. If all else fails, just cancel the service.
    Last edited by S7ar Scr3am; 04-27-09 at 06:25 PM.
    04-27-09 06:20 PM
    I'm still trying to understand how you could get our 15-year old son a Bold
    WOW.... DAD is on here too!!!!
    04-27-09 06:24 PM
    Take the phone to the carrier I.E ATT or Tmo and they get unlock it
    04-27-09 06:25 PM
    WOW.... DAD is on here too!!!!
    Damn Spell Check...
    04-27-09 06:26 PM
    Take that phone if he doesn't cooperate
    04-27-09 06:32 PM
    I agree 100% you are the parent you pay the phone. Take it and pay the fee to have it disconnected. Good luck!

04-27-09 11:31 PM
    I had my son sign this when we got him his phone a few years back...and yes he still knows it applies.

Son�s Cell Phone usage Agreement

The cell phone is a privilege and a big responsibility. WE bought the phone and WE pay the $18.00 per month JUST for you to have a phone. This does not include our Family Plan Charge per month.

-When you call home from somewhere call Mom or Dad�s cell if you know we are home. Do this first that way we don�t use any minutes. All of our cell to cell calls are FREE. If it�s an emergency call the home phone first if you know we are home.

-No text messaging, multimedia messaging, instant messaging, or email is to be done with the phone.

-Under NO circumstances are you to give your number out to people you do not know personally. NEVER give your number to ANYONE on the internet. ALL incoming calls use minutes too. In fact please ask us before you give your number out to someone.

-If your friends want to talk to you and you are at home and they do not have Cingular they need to call the home phone. Remember you can talk to your friends that have Cingular for FREE anytime. But those that do not have a cell phone or do not have Cingular must be talked to after 9PM (Monday-Friday) via your phone. Any calls after 9PM do not use minutes. Those are our UNLIMITED NIGHT & WEEKEND minutes. ALL CALLS ON WEEKENDS ARE FREE!!!!!!!!!!

-ANYTIME MINUTES: These are the minutes that your Mom and I use. I use most of them for business as I make most of my calls during the day. These are limited and if I run out of ANYTIME minutes due to calls that you have made that will be a problem. All of the minutes are tracked call by call through our online account. I review it often.

-MOBILE TO MOBILE MINUTES: All calls to and from other Cingular members are FREE ANYTIME!

-When your Mom or I call your cell phone you need to answer. Or if you don�t hear it and it goes to voice mail you need to call us back right away. You will know we called by the missed calls feature. If you don�t call us back you could lose the use of your phone.

-How to keep your phone?

-Keep your grades at or above your normal level, A�s and B�s.
    -Homework and chores come first.
    -Keep your room, the garage, and whatever area you use downstairs neat and cleaned up.
    -When we want to talk about cell phone or internet use you are cooperative and do what is expected of a young adult.
    -Be nice to your sister, she loves you and looks up to you. Be a good role model for her.
    -Answer your phone when we call.
    -The main reason we got you the phone is to stay in touch with you when you are away from home, limit your use when you are at home.
    04-27-09 11:53 PM
    Why don't you try talking to your son before you insist on seeing all his personal conversations. Kids are entitled to some privacy too.

Feel free to take the phone away, but try having a conversation first.

04-28-09 12:00 AM
    i have a weird feeling about this post.. like the OP"mom" didnt get the answer they were looking for.. maybe(i could be wrong) if you know what i mean..
    Last edited by kwmksavage; 04-28-09 at 03:05 AM.
    04-28-09 12:45 AM
    You can just "attempt" to enter passwords into his Bold till it wipes all the email, etc off the phone.

But I have a feeling that would pi$$ your son off royally.

I'm with the others on this one. Why would a 15 YO need, much less deserve, a Bold?

04-28-09 03:25 AM
    There is software out there that you can install ont he phone that will let you monitor his every move. <opening another can of worms>

As the parent you have the right and RESPONSIBLITY to have his passwords and read his correspondence as necesary.

Slightly related story: When I was in elementary school I hated reading. Antytime I got in trouble I was grounded for a week. The only palce I was allowed to go to was the public library to get books. I soon discovered that IF I read a couple of books My father would end my punishment a few days early [and yes he would grill me about story & character details]. By Junior High I was reading all the time.

Punishment becomes a reward!
    04-28-09 10:10 AM
    I know what these phones are capable of and what I have access to. Because of that, if my child blocked my access, Id break a foot off in his/her @ss and take it away. Good thing maybe I dont have kids.

Then again, its not like they cant delete things before coming home.
    04-28-09 10:13 AM
    Ouch, thread turn.

Anyway, Mais... I'm not going to tell you how to run your family, if you think the right thing to do is sneaking behind his back to invade in his life, that's fine. Just don't be surprised when he sneaks behind your back to hide it from you. Don't get mad either, because as the parent you're teaching him that it's ok to do that.

No there is not really a way to get into his bb if he deosn't want you to. That's why it's the only phone that's cia certified.
    04-28-09 10:36 AM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD