Hi everyone
    I am hoping to get my S2 ordered in the next week, I will be upgrading from the Tour, I was wondering what the big deal about having wifi was? If you already pay $30 a month to VZW for an unlimited data plan, whats the difference in having that or wifi?
    Thanks
    10-30-09 05:26 PM
    -you can use wifi in buildings that have crappy reception

-wifi is faster then some data plans

-there is no data cut off. ie it more reliable
    10-30-09 05:31 PM
    There is no data cut off on the $30 plan either. That's a myth.
    10-30-09 06:19 PM
    you can also (presumably) use it when roaming (e.g. out of the country) w/o incurring vzw's data roaming charges, which can get quite expensive.

If you stream lots of music or video, it may be more reliable of a stream than over the mobile connection.

you can receive data (email, use web, bbm, etc) at the same time you are using it for voice (e.g. on a call)... CDMA itself can't do both simultaneously.
    10-30-09 06:26 PM
    Out where I live we have crappy reception so when I'm at home phone calls are horrid an don't even bother trying internet. With wifi I can at least use email .bbm. An internet great. For for me it was a huge selling point.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-09 06:28 PM
    Wifi is Awesome! @my gf house reception is soooo bad so I use wifi n love it

10-30-09 06:31 PM
    Wifi is useless if majority of the place you go to is data coverages.

10-30-09 06:34 PM
    Wifi is useless if majority of the place you go to is data coverages.

but if you live in a poor coverage area wifi is a must have.
    10-30-09 06:40 PM
    I've never been out of 1XEV with my storm 1 I live in hawaii and verizon coverage covers more of the island than wifi does. Wifi is nice on storm 2 but I doubt ill ever use it unless...I can reverse the signal so my friends with iphone can have Internet too? Does this work lol cause att sucks out here.

10-30-09 06:48 PM
    can you make calls over wifi? as far as i know you cannot (of course i could be wrong). Therefore you're still screwed if you have poor coverage... so THEN what would be the point of wifi? obviously cruising the web is fun but the things supposed to be a phone too... ???
    10-30-09 06:49 PM
    think of it like this. With no wifi your stuck with whatever service is available to you thru your wireless provider. (good or bad) with wifi it basically gives you 2 networks in a way . so if your verizon (or whoever) service sucks where you are connect to wifi or a hotspot and then ur all set. The beauty of it is when you are in a good verizon area and u have wifi . u can basically use the wifi for your BBM. browser and it seems to be a quicker service (at least what it seems like) and your phone calls/. texts would just go over the Verizon network as normal.

You just need to try it out.
    10-30-09 06:56 PM
    I travel overseas often and I mostly turn off the mobile network so I can minimize any roaming charges. However, most places I go will have a wifi signal so I can either browse the internet or check my emails, for free, using the web browser. On the bold, I was also able to instant message over wifi with instango.

As other people have written, I've also found myself in buildings or areas where data coverage was poor. So, being able to connect to a strong wifi signal was so very helpful.

For people who are always in areas where data coverage is never really an issue, or don't stream/download media and podcasts, or they don't travel much outside of coverage areas, I can see why having wifi is not much of a bonus. But for me, I will never buy a blackberry again that doesn't have wifi.

10-30-09 06:58 PM
    I would like it for redundancy of data network and also to test wireless network issues at work. We have several wifi access points and sometimes they go flaky. I would like having just one device (in my pocket) to test and say "yes it is the AP" or "nope, must be your computer" quickly. Saves me from having to pull out the laptop, power up, etc. I use my iPod Touch this way now and works great, but if it were built in to my phone it would be sweet.
    10-30-09 07:03 PM
    I notice that the Iphone users at work( I work in the operating room) keep their phones on and can still play videos or music from their phones in the OR because of wi-fi...I have Verizon but if there is no signal in the OR, I can't do anything on my phone let alone browsing the web, Pandora, or sending and receiving messages.

So having wi-fi would be an added bonus if and when I should decide to upgrade. The S1 is going to have to do for now until I am eligible for the S2 upgrade.
    10-30-09 07:26 PM
    You can also make your phone be a wifi hotspot and use your phones network internet on your laptop or ipod touch or anything that uses wifi.

10-30-09 08:08 PM
    1. Come over to my house
    2. Try to use your Verizon phone to do ANYTHING
    3. ????
    10-30-09 08:10 PM
    saved battery life

10-30-09 08:19 PM
    I notice that the Iphone users at work( I work in the operating room) keep their phones on and can still play videos or music from their phones in the OR because of wi-fi...I have Verizon but if there is no signal in the OR, I can't do anything on my phone let alone browsing the web, Pandora, or sending and receiving messages.

So having wi-fi would be an added bonus if and when I should decide to upgrade. The S1 is going to have to do for now until I am eligible for the S2 upgrade.
    Nice!!! You would NOT be doing this in my wife's OR
    10-30-09 09:03 PM
    I've never been out of 1XEV with my storm 1 I live in hawaii and verizon coverage covers more of the island than wifi does. Wifi is nice on storm 2 but I doubt ill ever use it unless...I can reverse the signal so my friends with iphone can have Internet too? Does this work lol cause att sucks out here.

Windows Mobile and Symbian phones can turn themselves into hotspots, but not Blackberries. I'm waiting for someone to make this app!
    10-30-09 09:08 PM
    should wifi be turned on at all times along with the mobile nework???
    10-30-09 09:09 PM
    plus WIFI on this phone is stupid fast...
    10-30-09 09:25 PM
    That's the key right there..

I live in Charleston, SC, and we have 3G w/ VZW all over.. But streaming YouTube, I can tell you Wi-Fi crushes VZW's network.

Big deal for data/media purposes.. Probably not as long as you have strong 3G reception for browsing, BBM, etc..

10-30-09 09:43 PM
    should wifi be turned on at all times along with the mobile nework???
    It can be a battery issue, so, depending upon your need, you may want to temper your use for that reason.
    10-30-09 09:51 PM
    Pure Speed!
    10-30-09 09:57 PM
    Nice!!! You would NOT be doing this in my wife's OR
    Curious why not? Depending on the case, 90% of the surgeons my wife works with play music of some type during their procedures. In fact, if she's working their rooms, most of them want her to stream Slacker or Pandora from her Tour.
    10-30-09 10:10 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD