Hello

I've very new to BB, my wife has a Bold & I a Storm2

I read about OS upgrades available. Is the OS not upgraded automatically when the phone is used? Does the Desktop Manager not do this? Am I required to take care of this?

Please explain so I can understand what I need to do to keep these phones working as they should.

Thanks
    02-05-10 11:57 AM
    If you check on your carrier's website from time to time, you will be able to see if they have a newer OS approved and available for you to download and load on your device. Read this to learn how to download and load a new OS on your device using Desktop Manager:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os
    02-05-10 12:07 PM
    Check this out... see if it helps

How to Update your Operating System on your Blackberry

Ed and i have been working on it... still being worked on but the basics are all there.... we're still working on the "advanced" stuff.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-10 12:37 PM
    Research in Motion has created the upgrade software that allows your carrier to manage the device upgrades.

The latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manger will advise you when the carrier approved upgrades are available and will manage the installation for you.

Some members prefer to manage the software themselves, including testing of the latest beta software when leaks occure.

For most of us, the carrier OS is the best choice, for a mature device.

Check this out... see if it helps

How to Update your Operating System on your Blackberry

Ed and i have been working on it... still being worked on but the basics are all there.... we're still working on the "advanced" stuff.

Sweet!

Code:
    https://docs.google.com....
    (some member are not comfortable clicking on tiny url's until proven safe.)

02-05-10 12:39 PM
    Thanks for your reply & the link to BB 101

My provider's website sends me to RIM which checks through my Desktop Manager. They don't even list my Storm 2 that I bought from them, only the Storm LOL. So I went through the routine of updates, something I usually do every day or so. So I've got the latest version 5.0 form my Storm 2

Another question about OS, how affected is it buy apps. Are we talking about Windows '95 again, locking etc? I only have a couple of apps and I'm wondering if that may be what's giving my Storm fits.

And what about firmware, how does that work into OS and what I need to do here??
    Last edited by noobberry.09; 02-05-10 at 12:45 PM.
    02-05-10 12:39 PM
    Research in Motion has created the upgrade software that allows your carrier to manage the device upgrades.

The latest version of BlackBerry Desktop Manger will advise you when the carrier approved upgrades are available and will manage the installation for you.

Some members prefer to manage the software themselves, including testing of the latest beta software when leaks occure.

For most of us, the carrier OS is the best choice, for a mature device.

Sweet!

IF you see anything that you feel needs to be added or editied please PM me with your Google mail account, i'll add you to the approved editors.

02-05-10 12:43 PM
    Lets start with basics. Your BlackBerry has 256 Mb of Flash memory that is used by Sun Java Virtual Machine. The actual VM code is about 10 Mb.

The next layer is core OS. That includeds all the software that makes it a BlackBerry internally and able to communicate with the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) or BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES).

Next is the layer managed by BlackBerry Desktop Manager and Applications Loader. You can use these tools to manage languages, select or remove non-core components like Memo Pad, Task List and BrickBreaker and many third party apps.

Then, there are third party applications and themes. These are installed over the cell network (OTA) directly into your BlackBerry.

Finally, your data is saved in memory too. It is good practice to delete old messages to recover the space and make regular backups.
    02-05-10 12:55 PM
    Stay away from leaks around here and when a new update is available you can get it from your carrier's site. This site is the best place to find out when new updates have been released. But again, stay away from leaks.
    02-05-10 12:59 PM
    Generally, how much do apps affect the stability of our phones. Is this like the old days of Windows were a bad app could cause it to crash?
    02-05-10 01:01 PM
    That's the job of Sun Java VM. It is a rigorously tested multitasking operating system.

It is rock solid stable.
    02-05-10 01:10 PM
    That's the job of Sun Java VM. It is a rigorously tested multitasking operating system.

It is rock solid stable.
    So if I'm experiencing lock ups it's not that I've got some app creating havoc, it's the phones basic design?
    02-05-10 01:12 PM
    BlackBerry don't lock up, but they can experience delays or pauses while a high priority task is being serviced.

If the hour glass is spinning, something is going on and you should wait it out. If it continues to happen, you may not have a fully mature OS installed.

02-05-10 01:51 PM
    Oh I'm meaning the touch screen locks up, stops responding. The Storm's main issue. Not OS related I suppose, just wondering at the time if my apps could have aggravated it.
    02-05-10 01:54 PM
    I can't speak to the Storms touchscreen interface. If it's a hardware fault the software should be able to handle it gracefully like it does when the camera module connection is disturbed.

Of course, the device OS software could be involved, you will see the situation improve with software upgrades until it qualifies as mature.
    02-05-10 02:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD