I'm on VZW and my new every two is up. I currently have a 9630 Tour which works very nicely for me when I have a good signal but VZW doesn't provide me with that where it's needed.

I need a carrier that works at:
    1. My home, Phoenix, AZ 85018
    2. My sister's house, Lake San Marcos, CA 92069
    3. My daughter's house, Edgewood, NM 87015
    4. My son's house, Morrow, OH 45152

VZW works at 1, 3 and 4, totally dead at 2 (coverage map shows OK but it's a known VZW dead zone, I've turned in trouble tickets but no resolution in over 4 years!)

Sprint works GREAT at 1, 2, but shows roaming at 3 and 4 and no data.

T-Mobile works at 1, 2 is poor voice signal (one bar in some rooms, zero bars in some rooms) with no data, 3and 4 are OK voice and 'moderate' data whatever that means.

AT&T works at 1, signal map shows best voice and data at 2 but so does VZW and there is NO coverage there, 3 shows roaming for voice and data, 4 shows good roaming and voice.

NOTE: I used the specific addresses, zip code only may not show the same results since 3 and 4 are near good coverage areas.

NOTE2: I get a slightly better signal with my 8330, I can sometimes get one bar at 2 so changing phones might help in some marginal areas?

I'm probably visiting 2 more than 3 or 4.

Conclusions, Believe it or not, T-Mo may provide the best coverage but unless I can get reports from someone who actually lives in these areas, it looks like there's NO carrier that will work for me in all the places I need my phone, any ideas? I'd sure like to hear from anyone who lives in zip codes 92069, 87015 and 45152!
    05-24-10 01:40 PM
    Sounds like Tmobile is the way to go
    05-24-10 02:15 PM
    I was living in San Marcos for a few years with T-Mobile. I NEVER had any coverage issues anywhere in San Marcos, or southern california for that matter. On a stupid note, an old 8800 of mine is currently at the bottom of Lake San Marcos.
    05-24-10 03:32 PM
    To all who answered, thanks for the information.

I was living in San Marcos for a few years with T-Mobile. I NEVER had any coverage issues anywhere in San Marcos, or southern california for that matter.
    I hope that's correct, my sister lives on La Linda drive (one of the 'fingers' of land that go into the lake) and I can get a good signal less than 1/2 a block from her house! I can go out to the back porch and get one bar! I unlocked my 9630 Tour and bought a T-Mo pay-as-you-go SIM and was able to switch the phone back and forth from VZW to T-Mo. VZW = zero bars anywhere in the house, T-Mo = 1 bar in the living room and I could make voice calls.

On a stupid note, an old 8800 of mine is currently at the bottom of Lake San Marcos.
    I'm NOT going to get it for you, that's one polluted lake!

Thanks for the info, now to search Craig's List and Ebay and Crackberry for an afforable 9700! (When I bought my Tour I decided no contract was worth much more than the price of the phone.)
    05-24-10 05:47 PM

I'm NOT going to get it for you, that's one polluted lake!
    Hehe, don't worry. I wasn't looking to retrieve it. Now at the time I was living there I had an 8800, and before that an 8320. It's very possible that those older models may have had stronger antennas (if that makes any sense). I have not been back there with my Bold yet. Though I am planning a short trip there next week. But with those older BB's I had, I had no coverage issues anywhere.

There's a bridge that goes over part of the water which is off Rancho Santa Fe Rd. I was walking over that bridge and my phone started ringing. I go to take it out of the holster, next thing I'm doing a juggling act. I dropped it, it bounces off the sidewalk and into the water below. I remember sitting there for about 10 minutes thinking "WTF just happened??"

T-Mo shouldn't be a problem though. All my friends down in the area have it, and I never hear any complaints from them about coverage, or anything else for that matter. Up here, that's a different story, but I have UMA, so I'm good.
    05-25-10 11:12 AM
    I agree. Not sure what you're expecting us to be able to do.
    Sorry I didn't make that clear, I said:

"I'd sure like to hear from anyone who lives in zip codes 92069, 87015 and 45152!"

Reason being I don't trust coverage maps, VZW is still showing a strong signal in an area that I know and they know is a dead zone.

I know from first hand experience about some carriers in some areas, I wanted confirmation about the rest from people who have first hand knowledge.

But the decision is made and an Ebay unlocked 9700 is on it's way to me. When it arrives I'll go to the T-Mo store and get signed up.
    05-25-10 01:33 PM
    It's very possible that those older models may have had stronger antennas (if that makes any sense).
    Yes, I get a better signal there with my 8330 than I do with the 9630, go figure... but I suspect it may just be differences in individual phones???

I have not been back there with my Bold yet. Though I am planning a short trip there next week.
    You're in a position to do me an enormous favor, could you drive down La Linda Drive to the end and back and monitor signal as you go? I won't be over there until Christmas so if you could check and let us know?

Thanks!
    05-25-10 01:39 PM
    Yes, I get a better signal there with my 8330 than I do with the 9630, go figure... but I suspect it may just be differences in individual phones???

You're in a position to do me an enormous favor, could you drive down La Linda Drive to the end and back and monitor signal as you go? I won't be over there until Christmas so if you could check and let us know?

Thanks!
    Nothing is set in stone, but if I DO end up going, then I will do as you requested, and I'll let you know the results.
    05-25-10 09:11 PM
    Nothing is set in stone, but if I DO end up going, then I will do as you requested, and I'll let you know the results.
    Thanks, much appreciated!
    05-25-10 10:45 PM
    Update to thread:
    I went with T-Mobile and saved a little, their "Even More 500 Plus Talk" plan is 29.99, same as VZW's Old Fart's 200 minute plan so I gained a bunch of minutes I'll never use.... T-Mo's BIS is $25, VZW's is $29.99 so I'm saving $5/month.

I have a wireless router at home and I bought a very nice used Linksys wireless router from a friend for $20 which I'll take to my sister's house in San Marcos, my son and daughter both have WiFi at their homes guaranteeing high speed data and good voice coverage through UMA where ever I may visit.

Problem seems solved!

NOTE: If VZW (or Sprint or AT&T or ????) would allow voice calls over UMA I'd have other choices but... Does anyone know why only T-Mo does this?
    08-18-10 11:37 AM
    Cell Phone Coverage Maps - AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile T-Mobile also has the fewest dead zones. As reported by users.

T-Mobile = UMA calling, free tethering included in your plan, fixed $200 ETF, and great signal. At least great most of the places I've been.

Edit: Oh yeah, it's also GSM so you can switch devices easily and use unlocked phones.
    Last edited by Spiral_ouT; 08-18-10 at 12:29 PM.
    08-18-10 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD