Been looking for a few answers, read the manuals, reading howardforums, and reading blackberry forums, but joined this as it seems the best.

Just got a curve on vzw after 3 yrs of treo 650. There are some things I liked on the treo that I can't figure out how to do on the curve, and hoping someone can help:

1. when treo screen blanked, it locked keybd, and that way no calls could be made while in your pocket. If you didn't set a specific pwd, all you had to do was press the middle nav key to unlock. I am looking for a way to do this on the curve. I don't want to set a long pwd if I don't have to, just assigning a single key , like u for unlock would do. Is this possible? If not, how to lock keybd when screen goes off?

2. 1st screen has 5 icons on the bottom, not really the icons i would like to see, don't need the setup icon on the main screen anymore. Is there a way to change this to have the icons I want? I was reading this forum about themes, I am assuming that is what I want, but can't see any other themes on my curve.

3. Hitting the menu key brings up all the apps, but I would a)like these to be alphabetical, not random. Also, I would like it so that when at the app screen, hitting the first letter of the app would bring me to that icon, so I didn't have to use the trackball. Hitting the G key say for google maps. Now hitting the G key brings up names beginning with G from my address book.

4. Asked on 2 other forums: how to have bluetooth autoanswer? Not auto pair, on every other phone I have had, you can set it to automatically answer the phone on a specific number of rings. I can't figure out how to do this.

5. Email. I have BIS. I got this working, but its not the way I wanted it to be. First off, at my hosting provider, my mailbox name is different from my email address. for instance, my mailbox is say [email protected]. My email address is say [email protected]. But in the email setup, I need to put [email protected]. This works, but then users don't see my email address when I reply, just the mailbox name. They have no idea who abc@def is. Also, it doesn't have my personal name. How can I change this? Second, I notice that I am getting a copy of every email sent to [email protected]. I do not want this! I want to pull my email. I only need email on my BB when I don't have my computer on. With my Treo, I pulled from my pop. My pop only had messages on it when my outlook was turned off. Then I got them when I used my treo to pull.

6. BB browser. I would like the top bar to be the address bar. I don't want to have to hit the menu key and select 'goto'. I downloaded opera mini and have this.

7. Calculator. Are there free calcs somewhere that have more than just a rudimentary calc? The treo comes with scientific, business, conversions, etc.

Thanks for anyone to help me out with these. Pointing me to any threads would also help. Scott
    06-14-08 07:36 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

BlackBerry is a little different, it will take a while, but you will get the hang of it.

Looking over your list, I am afraid the answer is No to pretty well everything.

Fresh start, the BlackBerry way.

Is there a way to change this to have the icons I want?
    Except this one, Menu / Move allows you to positon them where you want them.
    06-14-08 08:34 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    06-14-08 09:46 PM
    Hi, just came from a treo 755 p.
    1 To unlock the bb, just press the star key and the send key

2 you can rearrange your icons by pressing the bb button (ex treonauts would refer to it as a menu key) select option to move. then use track ball to place it where you want. Might take a little time, but you can move them all around so that they are in the order you prefer.

3 sorry, not like our treo's as far as typing the first letter of the app, at least as far as I know.

4 not sure about auto answer

5 cant help

6 hit the key "G" while in the browser and you will bring up address bar automatically to type in address along with your bookmarks. Once you learn the browser shortcuts, the treo's (blazer) dont even compare.

7 dont know about the calculator.

While in any app, hit the bb key and go to help. That is where I discovered the shortcuts for the browser, like hitting the space bar to scroll a whole page vs using the track ball. use help in other apps and you'll be on your way.

hope i helped a bit.
    06-15-08 12:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD