My 8220 is finally starting to die. I had been thinking of just getting another, but I just upgraded my Tmobile plan to include data for the same price/month. Now I'm considering whether it would make sense to get a BB with full keyboard to make it easier to use the internet. Thing is,

(1) I really strongly prefer the flip factor so I'm not super keen on the regular candy bar BBs, and
    (2) I can't afford to buy outright new so it's a mess looking through all the older models. My budget is $150 max.

I'm really peeved the Style is a CDMA only phone. It has QWERTY *and* flip...I'd have afforded it somehow. But you can't always get what you want, right?

So, crackberry denizens, what are some of the better reviewed and more durable late model BBs? No touchscreens. Smaller is better so long as the keyboard isn't too cramped. Apparently the Tour got good reviews in this regard? And what is a reputable place to buy from?

Edit: other considerations: I use speakerphone a lot so the sound quality should be good. Should be able to use mp3s and wavs for ring tones. GPS capable would be cool, but not necessary.
    Last edited by scatterbrain; 08-28-11 at 03:27 PM.
    08-28-11 03:15 PM
    Well T-mo is GSM not CDMA so a Tour won't work for ya. Try a Bold 2.5 9780, that outta do it
    08-28-11 04:38 PM
    It was my understanding the Tour was the worldphone replacement and GSM compatible? No matter, I was reading reviews and apparently the sound quality isn't that good and it has trackball issues. I'll look up that version of the Bold; thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: that is waaay outta my budget. Looks like a sweet phone though.
    Last edited by scatterbrain; 08-28-11 at 04:56 PM.
    08-28-11 04:48 PM
    Scatterbrain, PM me please.
    08-28-11 05:01 PM
    It was my understanding the Tour was the worldphone replacement and GSM compatible? No matter, I was reading reviews and apparently the sound quality isn't that good and it has trackball issues. I'll look up that version of the Bold; thanks for the suggestion.

Problem with the "world phone" approach is that yes, they do also run on gsm, however, probably not on 3G. Only way to know for sure is to look at the tech specs for what bands it uses and match that with the carriers bands.

Try the 9700. That's what I am currently using
    08-28-11 05:04 PM
    aren't there new bbs coming out on tmo????

They should be heavily discounted....

Otherwise the 9700 in white is legit.
    08-28-11 05:49 PM
    PM sent.

Thanks for the clarification on the bands. Checking out the 9700.
    08-28-11 06:23 PM
    aren't there new bbs coming out on tmo????

They should be heavily discounted....

Otherwise the 9700 in white is legit.
    What is tmo?
    08-28-11 06:24 PM
    tmo = T-Mobile in text speak i think

try a Curve. i got one after a tour of duty on both iPhone and Android and i prefer the Curve to both
    08-28-11 06:50 PM
    Ah, thanks. Rolling Rock is correct, there's a new Bold and a Curve being released by Tmobile in the next few weeks. Unfortunately they may be beyond my price range even with my upgrade discount. I'll wait and see, but I may end up with the 9700 anyway. I took a look and it seems excellent. Nick, did you have any particular iteration of the Curve to recommend? The 8320 and 8520 seem to have gotten good reviews.
    08-28-11 09:21 PM
    The 9700 is an awesome bb. Rocked one (still do once in awhile.) Going on 2 years now, but trying Android againfor a change of pace.

I am sure you will love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-11 09:40 PM
    ... I'll look up that version of the Bold; thanks for the suggestion.

t-mobile.com shows the 9780 for $109.
    08-28-11 09:50 PM
    @OP why dont you wanna go contract? I dont think you've stated this unless I overlooked something. The pearl flip came out, I think at least, more than two years ago maybe even 3. Thats longer than the average contract length in the US (Someone correct me if im wrong, as im from Canada.) Most newer Blackberry's should be well within your grasp, but only if you go contract.
    08-28-11 10:04 PM
    I have a contract with TMobile already. I thought the good discounts only came with new activation. Or does it count as a new activation every time they sell you a phone? Tbh I haven't paid any attention to my contract except to make sure I wasn't going over my minutes. I tend to buy something and use it till it breaks, so I'm not too familiar with how upgrading works. Don't do it nearly as often as a lot of the folks here!
    08-28-11 10:37 PM
    t-mobile.com shows the 9780 for $109.
    You are correct; I was under the impression that I don't qualify for that price but I suppose I should make the (2 hr RT) drive to the Tmobile store and get them to explain exactly what I can get while I take an in-person look at the BBs they've got.
    08-28-11 10:44 PM
    Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the 9900 will not have UMA. That's a wierd thing to leave out.

Unsupported Browser
    08-28-11 10:47 PM
    Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the 9900 will not have UMA. That's a wierd thing to leave out.

Unsupported Browser
    Apparently it's coming in a software update...
    Blackberry Bold 9900 “Coming Soon” Says T-Mobile, No Wi-Fi Calling At Launch
    08-28-11 11:05 PM
    ... I tend to buy something and use it till it breaks, so I'm not too familiar with how upgrading works. Don't do it nearly as often as a lot of the folks here!
    If that's the case, I highly recommend you try and stretch your budget a little to get the 9900 if at all possible. I upgraded from the 9870 to the 9900 and I think it's a big improvement. The little bit extra screen size really makes a difference, and the picture is beautiful. I liked the keyboard on the 9780, but it's even better on the 9900. You really need get your hands on one to try.
    I was reluctant to spend any money on an upgrade at this time with the QNX phones due to be out next year, but after playing with the 9900 in person it was a no brainer.
    If you're planning on keeping it for the long haul, I imagine the 9900 with OS7 will have better support a couple years down the road compared to the 9780.
    08-28-11 11:13 PM
    I think I read that the phone is UMA capable but will be in a software upgrade in the future. But I have no idea where I read that and therefor you cannot trust me! Im pretty sure new activation is for new customers so need not apply if your upgrading. As for your contract, when exactly did you buy your 8220 on T-Mobile? And when you bought it did you buy it outright full price? or get the discounted price and agree to a 2 year contract? If you purchased the 8220 when it was released or close to it, you should be well out of contract now and will be able to obtain the discounted prices with rebate as long as you resign. You see with carriers, in Canada at least, they never tell you when your contract is up. You just keep paying the monthly fees forever if your unaware that your contract is up. I would go to your carrier and ask them when your contract is up because I have a feeling it probably is! Hope this helps!
    08-28-11 11:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD