well.. this is my first smartphone i heard alot about bb phones i saw the passport and iam in love .. however my friends told me not to buy it because the company will close, bb doesnt have apps like android and'' its 2017 the phone is old and wont last long enough" i have a small budget and i want a phone that will last for 3 to 4 years at least . there is a sale on phones ... please help me choose
    passport <3
    sony z3
    huawi p9 lite
    thanks in advance
    does passport runs apps like cad etc ??
    12-24-16 12:44 PM
    If you want apps, go with Android. BlackBerry 10 devices like the Passport only have a Android version 4.3 runtime which doesn't support Google Services.
    12-24-16 01:24 PM
    thanks ... so you basically tell me to buy z3
    will you buy the passport in 2017 ?
    and you said
    BlackBerry 10 devices like the Passport only have a Android version 4.3 runtime
    so i can have any apps i want
    which doesn't support Google Services
    BlackBerry should be able to do the work right ??
    12-24-16 01:45 PM
    thanks ... so you basically tell me to buy z3
    will you buy the passport in 2017 ?
    and you said

so i can have any apps i want
    BlackBerry should be able to do the work right ??
    Don't limit yourself, the BB10 app situation will only get worse.
    hulk go likes this.
    12-24-16 01:56 PM
    If you want a blackberry and you want apps and you have never had a smartphone before now I'd suggest going with one of the BlackBerry androids. If you want a physical keyboard I'd suggest the priv. Runs anything you want on android with BlackBerry extra security and a slide out physical keyboard. Have had mine for nearly a year now and it's rock solid. Just in case you need me to tell you this, the physical keyboard doesn't have to be used. Leave it slid in the phone and a virtual keyboard is there. However you want to do it
    hulk go and andy957 like this.
    12-24-16 02:04 PM
    What did you like about the Passport? Is having a physical keyboard important to you? If so, I would hold out for the Mercury. If not, maybe a DTEK 50 or 60. Also not sure what your exact budget is, so that would help to know

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 02:05 PM
    Firstly, no one can make this decision, but you. It should be based on what features you're interested in and what you're willing to spend.
    Starting from there:
    You said you are looking for a phone that will last for 3 to 4 years.
    Which begs the question; Will you be buying this phone outright or going through a Provider. Many Service Providers finance phones on 2 year contracts or you can buy many outright from the Provider . Yet, many Flagship devices can range from $400-800 and up, depending on the make and model. So you could be financing the cost of the phone plus the monthly fee for services (which can vary significantly based on the demands of the smartphone and services needed to operate it.).
    You may find it worth your while to purchase a device outright from Amazon at a one time cost , for units that have experienced a price reduction. Recently, many BlackBerry models have done just that.

As far as Apps are concerned; that will depend again on how you will be using your phone. I have a Passport and have no trouble finding apps through the 4 apps resources available for my needs. But the uncertainty of the support for the BlackBerry10 Operating System (which the Passport utilizes) could be a concern. But BlackBerry is also running 3 current devices on Android, (the latest of which is online for less than $500, and the 2 other devices for roughly $350 and $250, along with a possible fourth device being introduced by BlackBerry, on the way). And by most estimations, Android will be around.
    And of course, Passport models are available for $250 or less.

A BlackBerry Fan!!!
    Last edited by KNEBB; 12-25-16 at 09:51 PM.
    hulk go and rarsen like this.
    12-24-16 02:23 PM
    Many of the reasons you mentioned in reference to bb10 is why I suggested the android variant. Taking into account the op has never had a smartphone and some of the hoops you need to jump through to get more apps on bb10. I loved my bb10 phones but ya do have to be able to play with stuff to get all that. Android is just easier in that regard
    12-24-16 02:29 PM
    the looks
    roughly 200$
    12-24-16 03:24 PM
    thanks for the replys...
    i love blackberry for security, efficiency, and the hub i saw it on youtube and in "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit"
    priv and the dteks are expensive and the passport is on sale and it looks sophisticated
    i think i should wait for priv sale or the dtek bros
    thanks again everyone
    12-24-16 03:36 PM

does passport runs apps like cad etc ??
    By "cad" do you mean Computer Aided Design? As in AutoCAD? If so, what are your expectations? Last I heard, AutoCAD 360 apk worked on PassPort... Not exactly a CAD station but nice enough when you don't have a PC handy. If you're just looking for a field viewer, PP is hard to beat as a PDF viewer. I've taken to converting DWG to PDF for simple field viewing. Gotta watch document versions on evolving projects, tho. Field editing is obviously a different story. All depends on needs. ??

Naturally AutoCAD 360 also works on Android afaik.

Are you an engineer?

Of course if "cad" means something else, just disregard all of this. Lol.
    hulk go likes this.
    12-24-16 07:01 PM
    OP, you need to make a list of apps you required and seek for the platform (droid, iOS or BB10) for your usage. I was looking for Autodesk 123D for 3D printing design for tablet, Autodesk does not have BB playbook version, I was plan to get a ipad, so far, I am using desk top instead (just can't jump into the i-ecosystem as yet). of course, the draw back is can't draw or design unless sitting infront of the PC. My niece is using a BB device (non-droid). She was happy until her high school decided put an app for course materials that only havs the iOS and droid version... She is currently borrowing friend's phone every time the school put out the on-line material. I'll buy her a Mercury once it gets out. If you never use the key board before and is a social butterfly and tweet like trump non stop, the KB will wow you and become additive. be ready to lost few "your better half", BB is well known for that. Before you select the handset, if you really want the look that stand out, KB mercury might be your best bet. personally, I like 9982 and 9983, but that is too pricy and those are BB10 devices - not much apps - different grade... Go to dig out Kevin's post on CB for his 9982 purchasing - don't touch those, you will not be happy with anything else - looks like eye candy..
    hulk go likes this.
    12-24-16 07:40 PM
    I have the autoCAD app on my passport.

What I have found is, for me, how few apps I actually use or want.

I installed, opened and then deleted far more apps than I kept. There is a lot of garbage out there.

But there might be some key ones you are looking for. As well, consider some third party options for apps for those not available.

As for the OS. I've used them major three and BB10, in my opinion, is the best. My wife went to a Priv. Nice phone but it has Android. My daughter went to an HTC. Again, nice phone, but it's still Android.

Posted via CB10
    hulk go likes this.
    12-24-16 07:56 PM
    The Z3 that you listed is EOLed by sony due to their incapability of updating it to nougat due to the 801 and related processors fiasco (graphics drivers not released by qualcom and those drivers being necessary to be in law with google's android requeriments) if you are going to buy something Sony and cheap I should recommend you the Z5 (not the premium or compact, the standard), because it is a very good device and Will receive android O and possibly the version after O

With the passport, it is a very capable device right now, but the future for it is pretty dark to be honest, as @Thurask said, the app situation will get worse, Whatsapp will end their support for BlackBerry 10 in June, yes, we know that the Android version will work on BlackBerry 10, but you Will lose Hub integration, it won't as fluid as it used to be in the native version and probably, Just like the snapchat apk, it Will come a version that Just won't work, and to difference to snapchat, older versions will get killed, so buying BlackBerry 10 these days is a suicide is you plan to use it as a multimedia user (literally)

the Priv is a very good device that (to difference of other brands) Will be supported for a very long time, Why? Look at the Z10/Q10, they were launched in the 2013 and were the first two BlackBerry 10 devices, they have received every single update since 10.0 and 10.1 respectively, if you discard the STL100-1 of course, BlackBerry in My opinion will support Priv for at least two Major updates more after Nougat (if not three), and things get better update after update and if you don't believe me ask Priv users since day one with Lollipop, they will tell you how much things have improved since then, and how things are being currently improved, the price is a very good one, the battery is practically like the passport one, camera is good (18MP and a (not flawless) good sensor) and performance is very good too, I ordered mine yesterday unlocked from Amazon (hopefully it doesn't get stealed in the shipment lol) and, after reading tons and tons of users reviews, people here on crackberry and so on, decided to order mine, good luck on your choice

Posted via CB10
    12-24-16 09:22 PM
    I would like to add another point to the discussion. If you want to keep your phone for a longer time you must look for one that offers the abilities to exchange the battery, since they have a limited lifetime of about 2 to 3 years, depending on the use.
    12-25-16 12:43 AM
    I would like to add another point to the discussion. If you want to keep your phone for a longer time you must look for one that offers the abilities to exchange the battery, since they have a limited lifetime of about 2 to 3 years, depending on the use.
    LG then, also te priv is ultra easy to chamge battery

Posted via CB10
    hulk go likes this.
    12-25-16 02:43 AM
    Stay away from anything running BlackBerry10!

It's an older OS which has no further development schdeuled. Very few useful apps. An old outdated Android Runtime engine that will never be updated and in the tech world that's a death sentence.

It's becoming obsolete. A lot of the people that are still using BlackBerry10 only make phones calls and handle emails. Other then that, Android WILL run circles around it.

There isn't ONE thing I can do better on bb10 than I can do on my Android phone. In fact the only function I miss really was Bedside mode but I got over that long ago.

If you are looking into Android phones have a serious look at the new Asus Zenfones.
    hulk go likes this.
    12-25-16 08:06 AM
    Stay away from anything running BlackBerry10!

It's an older OS which has no further development schdeuled. Very few useful apps. An old outdated Android Runtime engine that will never be updated and in the tech world that's a death sentence.

It's becoming obsolete. A lot of the people that are still using BlackBerry10 only make phones calls and handle emails. Other then that, Android WILL run circles around it.

There isn't ONE thing I can do better on bb10 than I can do on my Android phone. In fact the only function I miss really was Bedside mode but I got over that long ago.

If you are looking into Android phones have a serious look at the new Asus Zenfones.
    Asus software is pretty bad IIRC

Posted via CB10
    berrydroid likes this.
    12-25-16 08:37 AM
    Passport's battery is very easy to change, but i wouldn't recommend a Passport to anyone at this point unless they were a BB/PKB die-hard
    hulk go likes this.
    12-25-16 09:46 AM
    priv is a beauty but the cost isn't that's why i considered the passport
    after reading your replies i won't buy it too late to join the bb world
    12-25-16 12:50 PM
    If you are aiming for sony, go for the Z3+/z4
    If I recall correctly, it's getting nougat as we speak. And the Z3 is stuck on marshmallow.
    Also,speaking from experience and as an owner of a Z3, unless you are not a heavy app user, steer clear from the 16gb version as that will get chewn up fast. Get the 32gb or go for the next model.
    Sony, while a somewhat rare phone to see stateside at least makes great hardware and software and is stable pretty much at all times with awesome battery life. Just beware of the glass front and back surfaces and get tempered glass and or a case.
    Also note, that the Z3 does not have adoptable storage. So you cant make space by moving apps to a sd card unless you root it.
    Minus the small internal memory, its still one of my favorite android phones.
    If you spend an extra hundred or so, you can get a Z5 compact.
    12-25-16 04:02 PM
    Right now, you can also snag a Priv for $300 usd pretty sure that its an AT&T rebrand like all the others.
    https://www.dailysteals.com/collections/mobile-phones/products/new-unlocked-blackberry-priv-at-t-branded-gsm-slider-android-smartphone?variant=17839897924

Also, if you can handle a big phone(phablet) I'd highly recommend the LG V10. I also have one of these. While it has the occasional hiccup, its another android experience that is awesome.
    For the $260 price tag it's a steal and a half.
    https://www.dailysteals.com/collections/mobile-phones/products/lg-v10-h900-at-t-unlocked-4g-lte-hexa-core-android-phone-w-16mp-camera?variant=33358299279

I used the v10 as my go to device,because its just that good.
    To me, the only things that Priv holds over it are:
    1. hardware keyboard
    2.Blackberry security

After that, the V10 beats the ever loving crap out of the Priv in every area possible.
    12-25-16 04:16 PM
    Right now, you can also snag a Priv for $300 usd pretty sure that its an AT&T rebrand like all the others.
    https://www.dailysteals.com/collections/mobile-phones/products/new-unlocked-blackberry-priv-at-t-branded-gsm-slider-android-smartphone?variant=17839897924

Also, if you can handle a big phone(phablet) I'd highly recommend the LG V10. I also have one of these. While it has the occasional hiccup, its another android experience that is awesome.
    For the $260 price tag it's a steal and a half.
    https://www.dailysteals.com/collections/mobile-phones/products/lg-v10-h900-at-t-unlocked-4g-lte-hexa-core-android-phone-w-16mp-camera?variant=33358299279

I used the v10 as my go to device,because its just that good.
    To me, the only things that Priv holds over it are:
    1. hardware keyboard
    2.Blackberry security

After that, the V10 beats the ever loving crap out of the Priv in every area possible.
    The V10 beats The Priv in Performance and Camera (Frontal obviously, rear is debatible), Priv beats The V10 in battery and Software, sure, yo can swap batteries a la Z10 With The V10 but overall battery goes to the Priv, also the difference between V10 and Priv in Performance isn't that abismal, Priv and V10 have the same Snapdragon 808, difference is V10 have 1gb more of ram, also I prefer BlackBerry Software support over LG and not to mention the loopboot russian roulette of LG Phones (Being the V20 the first one in not having it?), the Screen of the Priv also eats V10's in viewing quality, sure, Amoled have a very high price (change it With lot of usage due to screen burning and so on, not to mention how fragile edge screens are) but in the dayly basis is a better screen over V10's (even if V10's screen is an absolute tank), as for miscellaneuous things, the second screen of the V10 is very very useful if you know how to use it, but (personal taste) if you ask me, the second screen is as useless as the edges on the Priv for the average user (the one that doesn't care about these features), and Priv's sensitive keyboard is pretty neat but as Jerryrigeverithing says in its Priv's reparation test, if you damage one button on the keyboard the sensibilty is gone so I should put it as a double sharp sword considering how rought is finding Priv's Parts, about software updates, the V10 will die on Nougat because it's 18 months (like the majority) of updates passed already, Priv also should die on Nougat, but I have faith on BlackBerry maintaining the Priv like they maintained the Q10 and Z10 since launch so I expect them to at least give it Android O, and if not Android O at least security patches for a whole year after the 18 months, time will tell, but I (and a lot of Priv users lol) expect BlackBerry to give one or two major updates more after Nougat, so that is a point to the Priv also

Posted via CB10
    12-25-16 05:35 PM
    Worst decision would be the Passport imo. Beautiful phone, but as someone said you will limit yourself

Posted via Passport SE
    12-25-16 06:11 PM
    Get a Motorola! Definitely a better value than most and the software is much lighter than most. One step out of the Nexus line.
    12-25-16 06:56 PM
107 123 ...