I actually like BlackBerry Maps for most things. It's fine for driving directions if I have an address to feed it. But I'd like something that gives me walking and public transportation directions and lets me search for food/gas/attractions, stuff like that.

I'd like native but if my best options are Android apps through Snap that's fine too.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 11:15 AM
    BeMaps Pro will do what you want. It uses Google Maps search and navigation data. It gives you on-screen, but not spoken, turn-by-turn guidance. Personally, I don't need my phone to talk to me when I'm walking or waiting for a bus.

For public transit, you might also consider a dedicated Android app for your area. Here in Philly, we use Septa, and there are two Septa apps that work fine on BB10. I use Instant Septa. Check in Amazon or Google Play to see if there's something similar for your area.
    04-13-15 11:38 AM
    I use the Android app - Aponia GPS which use Navteq / Here mapping for its maps. Find it mostly better than BB Maps. Far superior to other offline nav software.
    04-13-15 11:47 AM
    My secondary is Google Maps from SNAP.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-13-15 11:49 AM
    Does Google Maps work? For some reason I thought it didn't, or it needed a patch.

BeMaps Pro will do what you want. It uses Google Maps search and navigation data. It gives you on-screen, but not spoken, turn-by-turn guidance. Personally, I don't need my phone to talk to me when I'm walking or waiting for a bus.

For public transit, you might also consider a dedicated Android app for your area. Here in Philly, we use Septa, and there are two Septa apps that work fine on BB10. I use Instant Septa. Check in Amazon or Google Play to see if there's something similar for your area.
    I do think there's a bus app here (Volusia County - Florida), I didn't even think of that. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 12:59 PM
    I use the Android app - Aponia GPS which use Navteq / Here mapping for its maps. Find it mostly better than BB Maps. Far superior to other offline nav software.
    I just downloaded that app to check it out. The interface looks so outdated. Although, it works really fast. I didn't like the look though. Deleted it right now

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    04-13-15 01:17 PM
    Does Google Maps work? For some reason I thought it didn't, or it needed a patch.
    Yes, it needs special handling, but it can be made to work. I sometimes use it on my Passport, although I mostly just use BB Maps.

Your Volusia County public transit app will probably be your best bet. When I need to take trains or buses, the Instant Septa app is simple and fast.
    04-13-15 01:28 PM
    Google maps works on a Z10. I do have a Google account...not sure that matters.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-15 02:36 PM
    I just downloaded that app to check it out. The interface looks so outdated. Although, it works really fast. I didn't like the look though. Deleted it right now

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    I agree the UI could use some help, but it works well.
    04-13-15 03:43 PM
    I actually like BlackBerry Maps for most things. It's fine for driving directions if I have an address to feed it. But I'd like something that gives me walking and public transportation directions and lets me search for food/gas/attractions, stuff like that.

I'd like native but if my best options are Android apps through Snap that's fine too.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry maps does have POI's/gas stations but you have to explicitly search for them. As an example, open it up and just search for 'Starbucks'. It should show you how many of them are close to your current location. Same goes for gas stations, etc. It also integrates with Yelp to provide reviews. This version of maps no longer requires explicit addresses. If I type 'Yorkdale' into the search, it gives me numerous hits whether I am searching for Yorkdale mall, Yorkdale Mazda, etc. Once I pick the entry I want from the list it will map it for me. I've also tested typing known addresses incorrectly to see if it still finds what I am looking for and it does. This is another improvement over the previous version. They have definitely put a lot of enhancements into maps. I do agree with you that transit and walking directions need to be added. Hopefully in the next OS release. Offline support/ability to save maps to the SD card would also be good.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-13-15 11:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    It works fine. No need to do anything. I use Google maps on my Passport now and used it on my Z10 before this.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-15 07:20 AM