Somehow, my keyboard and trackball have stopped working.
    Didn't fall, no water, no jarring or installing of new programs. But somehow, they're not working. If in a text area, such as SMS or email or memopad, when I type "p" then a space, the options menu comes up- as if Ive pressed the trackball. But the trackball is very unresponsive, it has to be pressed numerous times or for a long time for anything to happen. This has all happened suddenly- literally, one minute working perfectly, the other not working.
    Any ideas? How do I fix this?
    (btw I've got a blackberry 8310, curve)
    Thanks,
    Yash
    06-08-09 03:51 PM
    Possibly a corrupted OS. But rather than you wasting your time trying to fix it, I'd get a warranty exchange if you're still within a year of purchasing it.
    06-08-09 04:00 PM
    I'll go to o2 tomorrow, but I don't know...
    How would the OS corrupt? Or just something completely spontaneous?
    06-08-09 04:02 PM
    I'll go to o2 tomorrow, but I don't know...
    How would the OS corrupt? Or just something completely spontaneous?
    When did you purchase the phone?

Perhaps someone more knowledgable on the subject could explain how an OS can become corrupt.
    06-08-09 04:08 PM
    Jan this year. BUT it was a refurbished model, which is why I'm unsure. Still, I was told a refurbished model was not more than 14 days old, in which case I don't see why it shouldn't be okay. I'll see them tomorrow about it, and ring them...
    But nobody has any solutions, then?
    06-08-09 04:12 PM
    I PM'd a Mod who I know is pretty knowledgable on software on these devices. I'm sure he'll give his input to this when he gets the message.

Meanwhile, if you've bought the phone within 30 days, you can take it back to the carrier and get a new phone.

If within a year, you're better off calling customer service and getting the warranty exchange done over the phone.

If re-furbished, a 3 month warranty. At least it's 3 months here in the United States. Not sure about O2.
    06-08-09 04:13 PM
    I'll ring O2 then. It looks bad, though, 3 months is over...
    Thank you... (:
    06-08-09 04:23 PM
    If you haven't yet do a 5 min batt pull
    06-08-09 04:23 PM
    I've done a battery pull, and tried holding the power button for like resetting charges or whatever they make you do when there's a problem on macbooks... Nothing...
    why 5 mins?
    06-08-09 04:27 PM
    I've done a battery pull, and tried holding the power button for like resetting charges or whatever they make you do when there's a problem on macbooks... Nothing...
    why 5 mins?
    The extent of the battery pull is useless. If the battery pull doesn't fix the problem, then it's something else.
    06-08-09 04:31 PM
    Then it must be an OS or equipment issue. You can try doing a wipe and reload of the OS to try and sort out if it is the OS or equipment issue.
    06-08-09 04:36 PM
    Somehow, my keyboard and trackball have stopped working.
    Didn't fall, no water, no jarring or installing of new programs. But somehow, they're not working. If in a text area, such as SMS or email or memopad, when I type "p" then a space, the options menu comes up- as if Ive pressed the trackball. But the trackball is very unresponsive, it has to be pressed numerous times or for a long time for anything to happen. This has all happened suddenly- literally, one minute working perfectly, the other not working.
    Any ideas? How do I fix this?
    (btw I've got a blackberry 8310, curve)
    Thanks,
    Yash
    Your situation sounds like water damage. Do you carry your 8310 in your pants pocket? Do you work in a warm/hot area? Could sweat have contaminated your device? Steam from the shower? It doesn't take much water, especially salty water (sweat) to destroy your phone. The damage is cumulative, and may not show operational symptoms for some time after the exposure.

It is also possible that the first owner succeeded in returning a phone that had gotten wet, that you then received as refurbished, but with latent damage.

If none of those scenarios fit, and a battery pull with the phone off did not solve the problem, then I agree with Forever29: it's either a hard hardware fault, or a corrupted OS. If it's hardware, there's nothing you can do but replace it. If the OS has gotten corrupted, wiping and reloading the OS might help, depending on WHAT corrupted the OS. Installing incompatible themes is a common way to corrupt the OS. Assuming you didn't do that, then it could be that you have a bad memory location that finally happened to contain something important. Wiping and reloading could fix that, until you happened to write to that location again. If the memory location failed due to a cosmic ray impact or some other random fault, reloading the OS may be a permanent fix.

Be sure to let us know your results.
    06-08-09 09:57 PM
    I think I've fixed it. Used http://www.audsound.net/_share/bbtb_select_fix.pdf
    But I went to the O2 store today, and they said that it would be sent to RIM, and gone for 7-14 days...
    Thanks, though
    06-09-09 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD