Hello,

I am a new poster and was hoping you could help me. I just bought a second hand blackberry torch and was told it was locked to bell. I tried unlocking with bell MEP2 codes and it wouldn't work. I further examined the icons on my phone and saw a virgin mobile icon so i called them up and gave my imei...they said the phone was still active and needed to be deactivated before I could activate with another carrier. I called the seller back and he's calling virgin mobile to get to the bottom of this..

my question is after i unlock this phone will I be able to use BBM and data? I'm thinking no because the pin is still showing active with virgin mobile...what should i do
    12-07-10 04:59 PM
    if the seller clears it with his carrier, and it's unlocked, you should be able then to create a BIS account with the PIN, and seemingly all functions will work.
    12-07-10 09:41 PM
    if the seller clears it with his carrier, and it's unlocked, you should be able then to create a BIS account with the PIN, and seemingly all functions will work.
    Agreed. You need the following in order to use the phone and all of its functions:

1) Unlocked phone
    2) Blackberry data plan on the account
    3) Make sure the original owner has deactivated the phone from their end
    4) Register with BIS of YOUR carrier and download the service books (should be automatic)
    5) Enjoy!
    12-07-10 10:09 PM
    Yea, all you need to do to get the unlock to work is get the seller to have the PIN released from the BELL BIS. He/She neglected to do that before selling it. It happens ALL the time. A simple phone call will resolve it, UNLESS they owe money. Once the PIN is released your unlock code will work, and you can follow the steps in the post above.

EDIT: Actually the Unlock DID work, you just can't activate the phone on another carrier's BIS until it's off of the first carrier's BIS. Like I said, the seller, SHOULD be able to resolve it easily.
    12-07-10 10:34 PM
    so here is the update: I called back the provider the phone was with and they said the phone is still active and that I should return the phone.

I unlocked the phone anyways and all data and telephony functions work...bbm is working fine

i dont know what to think but thank god its working!
    12-09-10 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD