As the title says, sprint swapped my phone with a refurb yesterday due to some hardware issues. I didn't know the media card was encrypted with a device key, I though I just had it set to password. Now, I can't open the pictures on the card with my new BB. I have some very sentimental family photos on the card and I just want to retrieve them, especially one in particular. I just called the sprint store and the guy who swapped the phones for me went in the back to look if my phone was still there so I could come and unlock the card, but the phone was shipped out this morning. I really want to save my pictures especially the one in particular, is there anything I can do? I know BB is well known for it's excellent security, so I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm willing to do anything, I'll even pay to get my pictures back. Any help would be appreciated.
    03-02-11 02:09 PM
    Does it prompt you to be able to unlock it with your password?

I have my media card encryption turned off, so I haven't ever had this happen.
    03-02-11 02:27 PM
    As far as I know and we have gone through this several times at work this year already, your done dude.

Sorry to hear that, but if you could defeat it what would be the point of the security in the first place.
    03-02-11 02:30 PM
    Yeah, I just enabled my encryption on my BB (figure, why not) and for the media card it has a section where you can select what you want the encryption to be under, just the device password, or the password and device key. Since I don't know what my device key would be, I selected just the password...

Sorry man.
    03-02-11 02:35 PM
    I used the "switch device" in desktop manager, so all the setting carried over. After I noticed that I wasn't able to access the media card, I checked the security settings and it was on Device Key AND Device Password. Of course, I know the device password, I didn't change it. It's the Device Key that's a problem, I guess it used the PIN number of the device as an encryption key. So, no, it doesn't ask for the password, it just says the media card is encrypted with a different device.

Yeah, I know that the encryption would be pointless if I could crack it. But I also know that there are certain "gifted individuals" that can crack things I wouldn't think possible. I know for certain that law enforcement can crack a BB for legal investigations, but I assume they don't even do it themselves, they probably have to get RIM to do it for them.

I knew this probably wouldn't have a happy ending, but I just had to ask. It's very sad that I am losing the pictures on here and I can't bring myself to format the card.
    03-02-11 02:36 PM
    Any chance that you might be able to find someone who knows your old PIN? Have you ever purchased something throught the CB app store? Possibly an old BBM contact who may know what your PIN used to be? Just a shot in the dark here...

I would assume that RIM would have to "crack" a BB for legal investigations, however it came up during the whole snaffu over in the middle east regarding BB security, RIM stated that they do not have the encryption codes for the information transmitted between the NOC and the BB devices, so I'm not even sure how helpful they would be... Not sure if that would apply to the encryption on the device itself...
    03-02-11 02:43 PM
    There is a thread here somewhere that explains how to remove the rem from the photos. I'll try and find it so stay tuned to this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-11 03:23 PM
    Found it. https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=241381

Hope this helps.

03-02-11 03:26 PM
    Any chance that you might be able to find someone who knows your old PIN?
    I know my old PIN, but I think the BB uses the PIN as a token when encrypting with the device key. I could be wrong, but it makes sense that RIM would use the PIN since they are all unique. As far as I know, there is no way to clone a PIN to another device. If that would be possible, it would kind of defeat the purpose of having a PIN in the first place; just as I suppose it defeats the purpose of having encryption that one can easily crack. It's a catch 22, the security is great for keeping everyone out, including yourself!

Found it. https://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=241381

Hope this helps.

I tried to start doing what this thread said, but since my media was encrypted on a different device, it won't even let me move the encrypted files as I would need to do in the instructions.

I appreciate all the help here folks, but I think I am just going to have to forget about ever retrieving my photos. From now on, I will be very wary of encrypting anything with a token or device. So, this is a good warning to everyone else who uses device keys to encrypt data on any type of device. Even if I still had my phone, but I broke it or the hardware just failed and wouldn't turn on or something, and the media card was still intact, I still wouldn't have been able to access my media on the card. The only time that this encryption is practical is if you back up your media regularly. I already knew this, but since I didn't realize my card was on device key encryption, it didn't help me. So, double check your settings!

Thanks for the help.
    03-03-11 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD