Not a matter of sensitivity. More a matter of practicality and functionality details that add levels of complexity that need to be managed.

This would be a great tool if those details were addressed. Until it is addressed, users will use workarounds to prevent calls from contacts halfway around the world and in different time zones at inopportune times.

My personal take on it.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Version 1.0 feature. It'll improve.
    12-12-12 09:07 PM
    Someone thinks himself funny.

Ya'll need to lighten up and enjoy yourselves. If the feature doesn't work for in it's present form, downgrade till it's improved.

I must say, I love the emotion on CrackBerry. It really is more than just a smartphone.
    Right. Stay on BBM 6 for now. When BB10 drops BBM Voice will probably get more features like this. Who knows.
    12-12-12 09:11 PM
    Wow, lots of emotion here. Anyway somebody was talking about sending a petition to force the company to fix this issue. Why not suggest that RIM include the option available on the PlayBook's video chat? For those of you who don't know, there's a toggle button that turns your call availability off and on. It doesn't turn off the WiFi when you toggle to the unavailable setting. Offering a suggested solution with all the venom might work.
    DocDRM likes this.
    12-12-12 09:25 PM
    I'd bet we will see options soon for "not available" / "opt out" whether it be for individual BBM contacts or just in general. AND as I posted earlier, if there is a solution immediately available to devs, I'd bet Sultan will have it in AOSLED in no time. It's just a temporary problem, anyway. Nothing that Jan 30 ( Feb xx) 2013 won't fix anyway (hopefully fixed by then).
    Can't we all just . . . get along?
    People have been asking for ability to go invisible on BBM and RIM never gave us that. So, I am not 100% sure that RIM would give us ability to turn-off BBM-Voice on WiFi. But then again, that was the OLD RIM led by a different leadership. Hope you are right.
    12-12-12 10:24 PM
    People have been asking for ability to go invisible on BBM and RIM never gave us that. So, I am not 100% sure that RIM would give us ability to turn-off BBM-Voice on WiFi. But then again, that was the OLD RIM led by a different leadership. Hope you are right.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhh
    12-12-12 11:07 PM
    You can't have a product touted as "always on" and then give it an OFF switch. People would then complain they forget to turn it ON lol

Personally, I don't have a problem with the way BBM is now, but then again I don't have a problem with deleting persistent broadcasters and generally annoying contacts either.

BBM is what you make of it, not the other way around.

BTW, people have always been asking for the ability to stop broadcasts and that never happened, why? Because it would defeat the purpose.

It's all or nothing.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 12-13-12 at 01:40 AM.
    12-13-12 12:37 AM
    Another option would be the ability to use BBM voice call over 3G,so that the icon would be green permanently. Then you have the option of rejecting at your will and stalkers wont know, whether you are at home over wi-fi or out using 3G.
    12-13-12 01:40 AM
    Another option would be the ability to use BBM voice call over 3G,so that the icon would be green permanently. Then you have the option of rejecting at your will and stalkers wont know, whether you are at home over wi-fi or out using 3G.
    I'd love to know who these stalkers are and why don't people delete them lol. I mean really.

There are a few times a day I don't answer the phone, I don't remember anybody getting upset about it, they just assume I'm busy.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    12-13-12 02:01 AM

There are a few times a day I don't answer the phone, I don't remember anybody getting upset about it, they just assume I'm busy.
    Yeah same here. I ignore calls when I am busy.

I can see the privacy aspect in a sense. I am mean technically the green phone icon only means the other party is on WiFi. Not necessarily their home WiFi. Though that is often going to be the case.

Personally its not an issue for me since I only use BBM with my wife and some close friends who are welcome to know if I am home, etc.

Kinda reminds me of the whole BBM "D" "R" indicator debates. For me these are all positives. For others not so much.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    BigBadWulf and DocDRM like this.
    12-13-12 02:12 AM
    LoL...
    First...
    You can turn it off the same way you deal with normal phone calls - turn your phone or your signal off.
    Then...
    Others-The suggestion by others of turning off my device or signal is actually defeating the purpose of having it. You can't make a claim to have all encompassing communication whether wanted or otherwise, then say turn everything off. That's an oxymoron of an argument. That doesn't make sense to me.
    Now...
    You can't have a product touted as "always on" and then give it an OFF switch. People would then complain they forget to turn it ON lol
    See what I did there???

Whatever...
    12-13-12 02:43 AM
    Love the solutions espoused by the RIM faithful. Take what RIM gives, take it as it is, don't question, don't expect for them to listen to what the users on BZ requested, RIM has a plan and *we* faithful understand it buy *you,* questioning troublemaker, don't.

Problem resolved for me. Hot on the heels of this discussion I got the first call from someone from the forum, very inconveniently, at 9:30 last night. NOT a time when I want to chat with someone as I'm winding down my day.

Deleted the wifi connection.

VERY encouraging sign from the "new RIM." Impressive work. "Here, we just changed one of our core apps to *our* liking and ignored testers' recommendation. Take it or leave it."

BB goes in the purse for the *one* loved one I have left with a BB. After all, I've got my SGIII and my iPhone for my family and friends.

Maybe I'll start using Skype on those. I have OPTIONS on those.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-13-12 02:50 AM
    Kinda reminds me of the whole BBM "D" "R" indicator debates. For me these are all positives. For others not so much.
    At least we have an app for the "R" receipts.
    Buy Peep It - View BBMs with no R! - Download Peep It - View BBMs with no R! - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Currently there is no app to rectify this.

Having additional options is not a bad thing!
    It can only help.
    Not you in particular, but why do people (like others in this thread) always want to control what options that are available to other users.
    Especially if someone can do a certain thing on another platform, but we refuse to do/have the same ourselves.
    We want to expand our user base, not maintain it.

If I wanted to try a BlackBerry for the first time, and found it did not have that simple option, I would be labeled as a troll.
    Why, because the first thing I would do is come to these forums and complain as to why RIM did not incorporate such a simple thing.
    Something that is easily available elsewhere.
    Then all the fanatics would say...
    "We don't need that anyway"...

Seen it plenty of times here. If you say you haven't, then you are not really reading the threads here.
    12-13-12 02:53 AM
    LoL...
    First...

Then...

Now...

See what I did there???

Whatever...
    Stop being logical. Stop wanting well designed so-called enhancements. Accept what is given. Hold up your BB, with big soulful eyes, and say "Please, RIM, may I have more?"

Be grateful. Accept. Conform.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-13-12 02:55 AM
    Love the solutions espoused by the RIM faithful. Take what RIM gives, take it as it is, don't question, don't expect for them to listen to what the users on BZ requested, we have a plan.

Problem resolved for me. Hot on the heels of this discussion I got the first call from someone from the forum, very inconveniently, at 9:30 last night. NOT a time when I want to chat with someone as I'm winding down my day.

Deleted the wifi connection.

VERY encouraging sign from the "new RIM." Impressive work. "Here, we just changed one of our core apps to *our* liking and ignored testers' recommendation. Take it or leave it."

BB goes in the purse for the *one* loved one I have left with a BB. After all, I've got my SGIII and my iPhone for my family and friends.

Maybe I'll start using Skype on those. I have OPTIONS on those.
    Jesusmaryandjoseph, you DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER! What's wrong with people?
    12-13-12 02:57 AM
    Jesusmaryandjoseph, you DON'T HAVE TO ANSWER! What's wrong with people?
    You didn't either BD! What is wrong with you?!
    Now you want to stifle anyone who has a difference of opinion?
    stifle - definition of stifle by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    *shrugs*
    12-13-12 03:04 AM
    Buy Peep It - View BBMs with no R! - Download Peep It - View BBMs with no R! - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

It can only help.
    Not you in particular, but why do people (like others in this thread) always want to control what options that are available to other users.
    Especially if someone can do a certain thing on another platform, but we refuse to do/have the same ourselves.

If I wanted to try a BlackBerry for the first time, and found it did not have that simple option, I would be labeled as a troll.
    Why, because the first thing I would do is come to these forums and complain as to why RIM did not incorporate such a simple thing.

Seen it plenty of times here. If you say you haven't, then you are not really reading the threads here.
    But was there an app to hide the BBM "R" notifications 2 days after BBM was released? The options will come. If someone like Apple can mess up the maps so bad they have to sign apologies and fire the top iOS cat, I think we can give RIM a little time in the midst of the fight for their lives to add a check box option to toggle availability for voice.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-13-12 03:05 AM

It can only help.

Who's afraid of the big bad R? You are

There's no logical reason not to want the R or to want to hide yourself, it means you have other problems.

You either have a problem with the fear of hurting people's feelings or you have a problem with pointing out other people's rudeness. Which is it? Otherwise there is no logical reason not to want them there.

Do you let people walk trough your door or do you ask them to knock first?
    12-13-12 03:07 AM

There's no logical reason not to want the R or to want to hide yourself, it means you have other problems.

You either have a problem with the fear of hurting people's feelings or you have a problem with pointing out other people's rudeness. Which is it? Otherwise there is no logical reason not to want them there.
    Yes there is. For example, if you want to read the message, but you don't want the other party to know you read the message... I can think of a lot of scenarios where that could apply. Some times it's easier to pretend you didn't get the message.

"Can you pick up some hemorrhoid cream on your way home?"

I'll just pretend I didn't see that.
    12-13-12 03:12 AM
    But was there an app to hide the BBM "R" notifications 2 days after BBM was released? The options will come.
    I said... Currently.
    Also if you read the thread, I have been the one to consistently say that this will be fixed in the future.
    Go check it out and re-read the thread. The proof is in the pudding.
    12-13-12 03:12 AM

It can only help.

Frankly, this does not bode well for me. Honestly, hand over my heart, if my last remaining loved one would put WhatsApp on his phone, I'd be done with BB as my personal device. I would use it for work because no one does anything approaching BES. But as far as a personal device, the more I use others, the more I realise why RIM lost the consumer market.

Number one axiom in business....the customer is always right. When I'm ready for a release, I conduct User Acceptance Testing and Functional Quality Testing. I take the results of those and apply them to the release. If one particular feature is heavily requested then I incorporate it, particularly if during FQT I find that my enhancement has broken something in the baseline. How RIM could put this in the Beta Zone and ignored users' requests is beyond me.

But then again.....the epitome of email communications released a tablet without native email. Why wouldn't they release an "enhancement" to one of their core apps while ignoring testers. It's RIM. Natural.

"Please, RIM, may I have more?" Nah.....turned the feature off and pray I can convince my one remaining loved one to get WhatsApp. Then I'll keep BB for mobile banking and nothing else.
    12-13-12 03:13 AM
    Yes there is. For example, if you want to read the message, but you don't want the other party to know you read the message... I can think of a lot of scenarios where that could apply. Some times it's easier to pretend you didn't get the message.

Ha ha, I'd just say "get it yourself" "I'm not buying that"

It's easier to be honest you know
    12-13-12 03:16 AM
    You didn't either BD! What is wrong with you?!
    Now you want to stifle anyone who has a difference of opinion?
    stifle - definition of stifle by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    *shrugs*
    You know, Crackberry REALLY needs to fix the IGNORE button.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-13-12 03:16 AM

1.have save chat history turn on.
    2.when you get a new message from the person open the chat history you have with them and not the actual message
    3. Chat history shows even the latest message you havent "read" without turning it into an R for them to see
    4.close chat history

Shhhhh
    12-13-12 03:18 AM

Do you let people walk trough your door or do you ask them to knock first?
    Who is afraid of the "R"?
    I never said ANYTHING whatsoever as to whether I like it or not.
    You are another one projecting your own thoughts on others!
    I don't even use the app!

So, the people who do want that app for that function have something wrong with them as well?!

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to hurt people. There is also nothing wrong with pointing out YOUR rudeness.
    Your complaint here makes no sense, and has no place in humanity.

You are just admitting that you are rude for no reason at all then.

*shrugs*
    12-13-12 03:18 AM
    Who is afraid of the "R"?
    I never said ANYTHING whatsoever as to whether I like it or not.
    You are another one projecting your own thoughts on others!
    I don't even use the app!

So, the people who do want that app for that function have something wrong with them as well?!

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to hurt people. There is also nothing wrong with pointing out YOUR rudeness.
    Your complaint here makes no sense, and has no place in humanity.

You are just admitting that you are rude for no reason at all then.

*shrugs*
    It's OK love. I have been getting quite an interesting perspective of how that mind works......and that quote about not being afraid to hurt people's feelings explains quite a lot.

People DO care about people's feelings. It's called being considerate. We're all taught that in kindergarten and in families and in church.

Well, I should say MOST of us...

It's not about "being afraid." It's about expecting ENHANCEMENTS out of *enhancements.*

But then again, nuance is lost on bulls running rampant in china shops.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    12-13-12 03:29 AM
127 ... 23456