Yes. People have been talking about it for years past.
    However, this is a new RIM and a new direction.
    RIM is no longer tone deaf. They are listening now.
    These are no longer the days of Jim and Mike.

I believe...
    12-11-12 10:13 PM
    One of BBM's biggest and most unique features was PIN exchange only for communication though. I can't be the only one here who prefers certain contacts not have my phone number for an added level of personal security and privacy. This puts BBM on the same level as Whatsapp and other easily used 3rd party apps. Voice is certainly a nice and potentially cost saving feature but, should certainly include the ability to opt out.
    12-11-12 10:39 PM
    This feature should still be in Beta... everytime i use bbm voice, my phone turns off after i hung up the call... its like when i need to talk to someone on bbm, i need to be prepared to restart my phone right after that... WOW... Samsung S3/i5 on LTE is looking really good right now

RIM: pathetic... just pathetic
    12-12-12 02:03 AM
    This feature should still be in Beta... everytime i use bbm voice, my phone turns off after i hung up the call... its like when i need to talk to someone on bbm, i need to be prepared to restart my phone right after that... WOW... Samsung S3/i5 on LTE is looking really good right now

RIM: pathetic... just pathetic
    Go over to android centreal. Your mobile nations passport will work there
    ritesh likes this.
    12-12-12 02:11 AM
    How about just deleting those "stalkers" from your BBM Contacts? I mean, really?
    How about fully testing a new functionality to allow for discrete choices?

Poor execution. Again.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    12-12-12 08:38 AM
    How about fully testing a new functionality to allow for discrete choices?

Poor execution. Again.

The app functions well, but is missing a feature some people want.

I'd like profile management for individual contacts to have full setting access, along with color choices, but wouldn't say the current native capability is poorly executed.
    12-12-12 08:52 AM
    The app functions well, but is missing a feature some people want.

I'd like profile management for individual contacts to have full setting access, along with color choices, but wouldn't say the current native capability is poorly executed.
    I would not agree.

It allows for tracking from contacts who might not know the details of your schedule and might call at inopportune times. Example....you might have a contact to whom you want to be available. But you don't necessarily want all your contacts to know yoy're open to calls. The only way to do this is to put yourself on Busy, thereby giving the wrong impression to the one or select few to whom you always want to be available. Leading to the question of when do you REALLY mean busy, even to those specific contacts.

In my opinion, this is poor execution because there are unintended complications that now need workarounds.

12-12-12 09:12 AM
    I would not agree.

It allows for tracking from contacts who might not know the details of your schedule and might call at inopportune times. Example....you might have a contact to whom you want to be available. But you don't necessarily want all your contacts to know yoy're open to calls. The only way to do this is to put yourself on Busy, thereby giving the wrong impression to the one or select few to whom you always want to be available. Leading to the question of when do you REALLY mean busy, even to those specific contacts.

In my opinion, this is poor execution because there are unintended complications that now need workarounds.

I guess I'm not as sensitive or concerned. The fact that I'm on Wi-Fi in no way discloses my location, or availability. My contacts could presume I'm ready to accept a call, but it's up to me whether I do or don't. This applies the same to any communication. My phone number is known to thousands of contacts, but I don't have to take a call, simply because the phone rings. There's no setting individually for BBM contacts either, allowing one to see me as available, while others see busy.

While it would be great to have it all, that RIM came out with another communication tool, useful for free global talk, is fantastic.
    kbz1960 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    12-12-12 09:30 AM
    I guess I'm not as sensitive or concerned. The fact that I'm on Wi-Fi in no way discloses my location, or availability. My contacts could presume I'm ready to accept a call, but it's up to me whether I do or don't. This applies the same to any communication. My phone number is known to thousands of contacts, but I don't have to take a call, simply because the phone rings. There's no setting individually for BBM contacts either, allowing one to see me as available, while others see busy.

While it would be great to have it all, that RIM came out with another communication tool, useful for free global talk, is fantastic.
    Not a matter of sensitivity. More a matter of practicality and functionality details that add levels of complexity that need to be managed.

This would be a great tool if those details were addressed. Until it is addressed, users will use workarounds to prevent calls from contacts halfway around the world and in different time zones at inopportune times.

My personal take on it.

12-12-12 09:46 AM
    Not a matter of sensitivity. More a matter of practicality and functionality details that add levels of complexity that need to be managed.

This would be a great tool if those details were addressed. Until it is addressed, users will use workarounds to prevent calls from contacts halfway around the world and in different time zones at inopportune times.

My personal take on it.

Exactly!
    12-12-12 09:55 AM
    There is no way to turn-off BBM Voice (Wifi Calling) without turning off WiFi altogether.
    In their BetaZone, this is one of the top-requested features. They released 2 more Betas after that and then they released a production version without this feature. This is annoying and upsetting to me. It's one of the *most* requested features (go to BetaZone for BBM7, and see feature requests page) and yet RIM is just ignoring it.

Now, I've to friggin turn off Wifi and use cellular data even when I am at home. This is just ridiculous. I don't know why RIM won't listen to their end-users! RIM is trying to gain back marketshare and then it goes and blatantly forces this on us.

Sure, it's not a make or break feature, but it's one of the most requested features. So, how about we create a petition and send it to RIM? Just like we created petition for NetFlix and Skype. They didn't listen to us. Maybe RIM will. Well, I hope RIM will. It'd be a pity if RIM decided to ignore requests from their loyal users!

Thanks,
    Last edited by chrysaurora; 12-12-12 at 10:16 AM.
    12-12-12 09:58 AM
    There is no way to turn-off BBM Voice (Wifi Calling) without turning off WiFi altogether.
    In their BetaZone, this is one of the top-requested features. They released 2 more Betas after that and then they released a production version without this feature. This is annoying and upsetting to me. It's one of the *most* requested features (go to BetaZone for BBM7, and see feature requests page) and yet RIM is just ignoring it.

Now, I've to friggin turn off Wifi and use cellular data even when I am at home. This is just ridiculous. I don't know why RIM won't listen to their end-users! RIM is trying to gain back marketshare and then it goes and blatantly forces this on us.

Sure, it's not a make or break feature, but it's one of the most requested features. So, how about we create a petition and send it to RIM? Just like we created petition for NetFlix and Skype. They didn't listen to us. Maybe RIM will. Well, I hope RIM will. It'd be a pity if RIM decided to ignore requests from their loyal users!

Thanks,
    Yes, I suppose RIM looks at it as they gave us a way to silence BBM Voice from ringing through its sound profile, and you can just set that and ignore it. I still would like a total way to appear invisible to other contacts.
    12-12-12 10:00 AM
    Yes, I suppose RIM looks at it as they gave us a way to silence BBM Voice from ringing through its sound profile, and you can just set that and ignore it. I still would like a total way to appear invisible to other contacts.
    Silence is only a workaround and it's not even a good workaround. I have to fiddle with ringer settings every time I want to put it on silent. Not just that, it doesn't matter if I am on silent or not, the other BBM Voice user can still call me and feel like I am not answering the phone. Sure, some people have argued that you can choose to NOT answer (just like you'd with a phone). But that's not a great workaround either. Sometimes I just dont want to receive BBM Voice call and STILL be able to use WIFI!

Also, with the phone, you can turn the phone radio-off and still use WiFi! So, you do indeed have a way off switching off phone without switching off Wifi. But in case of BBM Voice, you have NO way off switching off BBM Voice while still using Wifi.

I say, we create a petition and see if RIM cares about end-user requests! I could understand RIM ignoring this feature request if there wasn't much interest in it. But come on, on BetaZone, it's listed as one of the most requested feature!
    12-12-12 10:09 AM
    Silence is only a workaround and it's not even a good workaround. I have to fiddle with ringer settings every time I want to put it on silent. Not just that, it doesn't matter if I am on silent or not, the other BBM Voice user can still call me and feel like I am not answering the phone. Sure, some people have argued that you can choose to NOT answer (just like you'd with a phone). But that's not a great workaround either. Sometimes I just dont want to receive BBM Voice call and STILL be able to use WIFI!

Also, with the phone, you can turn the phone radio-off and still use WiFi! So, you do indeed have a way off switching off phone without switching off Wifi. But in case of BBM Voice, you have NO way off switching off BBM Voice while still using Wifi.

I say, we create a petition and see if RIM cares about end-user requests! I could understand RIM ignoring this feature request if there wasn't much interest in it. But come on, on BetaZone, it's listed as one of the most requested feature!
    Yes, I really do hope they implement a way to disable/appear invisible in it. I believe they will at some point as it is a top requested feature. I bet they will do the same for BB10 with video calls as well.
    12-12-12 10:14 AM
    On what other system can you change your status for specific users? GTalk? WhatsApp? Kik? SMS? Could you set your status to Busy for some users on BBM before the Voice update?

Even before Voice came out, I had profiles set up for different things. If I'm in a meeting with clients, I have calls set to silent and SMS and messages set to vibrate. The nighttime setting turns off BBM sounds, email, and texting. You can even set up a profile to turn off BBM Voice sounds. It makes changing profiles just a click or two away.

I do agree it would be nice if the BBM Voice icon changed with the BBM status indicator while on wifi. Either turn gray or red when you set it to busy. I think it's a little much to be asking for different statuses for each user.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    12-12-12 10:40 AM
    I don't think anyone was asking for specific profiles for specific users. I think that was introduced here by a MOD and is derailing the converstion about what we are asking for. I am asking for some type of invisibility mode so people cannot ascertain my location near a controllable home/work WiFi network. I don't want to have to turn off my sound profiles and prevent calls from those who I would like to communicate with from being heard. Although I have unlimited data, I don't want to have to turn WiFi off and use only carrier data just to "hide" from unwanted calls. Individual contact management is NOT the issue, and I hope this comversation doesn't take a turn towards it.
    12-12-12 10:55 AM
    On what other system can you change your status for specific users? GTalk? WhatsApp? Kik? SMS? Could you set your status to Busy for some users on BBM before the Voice update?
    I am pretty sure Facetime can be turned-off when you are on WiFi. Besides, sure, if this feature is lacking on other platforms, so what? RIM should aim to out-do other platforms!
    12-12-12 10:55 AM
    it is a make or break for me... i have over 180 bbm contacts... i already have cuzins saying "your green light is on, I'm coming over to chill out".... ******* ridiculous...

RIM blows!! I need a phone asap
    12-12-12 10:57 AM

Even before Voice came out, I had profiles set up for different things. If I'm in a meeting with clients, I have calls set to silent and SMS and messages set to vibrate. The nighttime setting turns off BBM sounds, email, and texting. You can even set up a profile to turn off BBM Voice sounds. It makes changing profiles just a click or two away.

I do agree it would be nice if the BBM Voice icon changed with the BBM status indicator while on wifi. Either turn gray or red when you set it to busy. I think it's a little much to be asking for different statuses for each user.
    For me and my usage, I would prefer to turn off BBM calling to discrete contacts. Personally, remaining invisible as in FB Chat, for example, is not the issue as much as determining which specific contact I am available for, instead of a blanket generic status to all.

Invisibility is a whole other wrinkle.

12-12-12 11:00 AM
    I don't think anyone was asking for specific profiles for specific users. I think that was introduced here by a MOD and is derailing the converstion about what we are asking for. I am asking for some type of invisibility mode so people cannot ascertain my location near a controllable home/work WiFi network. I don't want to have to turn off my sound profiles and prevent calls from those who I would like to communicate with from being heard. Although I have unlimited data, I don't want to have to turn WiFi off and use only carrier data just to "hide" from unwanted calls. Individual contact management is NOT the issue, and I hope this comversation doesn't take a turn towards it.
    Get out of my head......

12-12-12 11:17 AM
    Get out of my head......

LoL! Too Funny!
    You remember that...
    12-12-12 11:32 AM
    it is a make or break for me... i have over 180 bbm contacts... i already have cuzins saying "your green light is on, I'm coming over to chill out".... ******* ridiculous...

RIM blows!! I need a phone asap
    LOL grow a pair and tell them no. But I do agree with there should be a way to hide if people want to.
    12-12-12 11:38 AM
    Okay, so, I am going to create a petition. I'd need some contact information of RIM where the petition is supposed to go.
    Anyone has relevant RIM contact info for the petition?
    12-12-12 11:53 AM
    Okay, so, I am going to create a petition. I'd need some contact information of RIM where the petition is supposed to go.
    Anyone has relevant RIM contact info for the petition?
    Company or product inquiries: for more information about Research In Motion (RIM) and its products, email [email protected].

Corporate Head Office
    Research In Motion
    295 Phillip Street
    Waterloo, Ontario
    Canada N2L 3W8

tel: (519) 888-7465
    fax: (519) 888-7884
    12-12-12 12:38 PM
    I wasn't trying to derail the topic, but express another opinion, and as you see......

For me and my usage, I would prefer to turn off BBM calling to discrete contacts. Personally, remaining invisible as in FB Chat, for example, is not the issue as much as determining which specific contact I am available for, instead of a blanket generic status to all.

Invisibility is a whole other wrinkle.

Yes! Being able to control it on a per-contact basis would be awesome. I totally agree. Now, would that mean others couldn't voice call, or just couldn't see they could?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-12-12 12:49 PM
127 1234 ...