So with BBM Voice Calling, when you are connected to WIFI, the green phone icon lights up on the users name. This basically means the person is connected to wifi @ home or work.... Well, now people will know when you left home/when you came home/when you left work etc, just but looking at the green icon on ur name...

How do I turn off this feature without turning off my WIFI!?!?!

12-11-12 11:21 AM
    The green icon mean you are connected to wifi. You and only you can see that, not the other way around.
    12-11-12 11:33 AM
    The green icon mean you are connected to wifi. You and only you can see that, not the other way around.
    I don't think that's true. When you pick a contact their phone turns green indicating they are on WiFi.
    12-11-12 11:38 AM
    anyone with BBM7, that has wifi and is connected will show a green icon to anyone else that has BBM7 and is connected to wifi that is on their contact list. The OP's concern is how can he turn this off, so that he looks unavailable to anyone that has BBM7 and is connected to wifi (if I understand his question).

To my knowledge there is no way, other than turning wifi off
    12-11-12 11:40 AM
    Rosebud that is incorrect.

The icon shows the status of the chat recipient. If it is green they are available for a call. You can however set your status to busy to prevent the icon from showing green.

Also of note is that your notification profiles can be adjusted for BBM Voice the same way that you modify them for a phone call.
    12-11-12 11:42 AM
    Try turning off your wifi & check to see its true. My wife is on wifi at work & its not showing green for me.
    12-11-12 11:43 AM
    Try turning off your wifi & check to see its true. My wife is on wifi at work & its not showing green for me.
    Thats in my point, you have to turn wifi off to get what the OP wants. I know that.

You show up green to others when you are connected to wifi (and the others are connected to wifi as well), only way to "un green" yourself to others is turn off wifi
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    12-11-12 11:46 AM
    Rosebud that is incorrect.

The icon shows the status of the chat recipient. If it is green they are available for a call. You can however set your status to busy to prevent the icon from showing green.

Also of note is that your notification profiles can be adjusted for BBM Voice the same way that you modify them for a phone call.
    If thats the case then I stand corrected, were I am there is no wifi, so the icon is not green. My wife has wifi & when i look at here BBM it is not green.
    12-11-12 11:46 AM
    Thats in my point, you have to turn wifi off to get what the OP wants. I know that.

You show up green to others when you are connected to wifi (and the others are connected to wifi as well), only way to "un green" yourself to others is turn off wifi
    Thanks pluto, just trying to get my head wrapped around this.
    12-11-12 11:48 AM
    Both parties have to have wifi for the icon to be green. It indicates that a call is possible.

It's the same as the do not disturb mode on the playbook.
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    12-11-12 11:49 AM
    If you don't have wifi, but others do, they will not show green to you even thou they have wifi, you need to have wifi to see the green of others. If you have wifi, you (your profile) will have no icon at the top, when viewing contact/chats page, however if you have NO wifi, you will get an icon in your profile at the top of the contacts/chats page with a red exclamation point that when touched tells you to connect to wifi. If you see no icon in a contact that means they do not have BBM7 yet.

did that make and sense? I had to re-read what I wrote three times to make sure I got it right
    12-11-12 11:54 AM
    Reading through my responses I'm not explaining myself very well so I will try again.

The "BBM Voice" indicator will only turn green if both parties are connected to Wi-Fi, otherwise it will stay grey. By turning on the "Busy" status on BBM you indicate that you aren't available for BBM conversations (including voice). On the other person's device your icon will appear grey however yours will remain green. ie. you can call out but cannot receive calls. This is similar to the "Do Not Disturb" mode on the Playbooks video chat application. The change in status isn't instant though and I've had a couple of cases where it took a couple of minutes to update as I switched from Wi-Fi to carrier.

You can also change the sound profiles of you incoming communication in the same manner that you do with everything else.
    Shane8750 and Qaxl like this.
    12-11-12 11:55 AM
    @ TorinAldred, I have changed my status to busy. I will test this when I get home.

@ Rosebud68, huge win for bigblue, @atl is a must win
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    12-11-12 12:17 PM
    I don't think the op is asking about changing the icon by shutting off wifi. Like me, it sounds like he uses wifi for data. But, if I'm understanding him correctly, he wants to leave wifi on, but have a way yo show himself unavailable, like manually greying the icon. That's not possible yet, but a lot of the testers voted for that one. I'd be surprised if it didn't show up in a future version.
    12-11-12 12:18 PM
    @ kraski

That is exactly what I was asking about.
    12-11-12 12:28 PM
    @ kraski

That is exactly what I was asking about.
    try setting your status to busy as was suggested above
    12-11-12 12:40 PM
    try setting your status to busy as was suggested above
    I have set it to busy, but right now I am at work and can not test this. Will do later tonight..
    thanks
    12-11-12 12:44 PM
    changing your status to BUSY does not do anything to bbm voice. It does not turn your icon grey. I tested this with other users..

this bbm voice is sooo frustrating, im having to turn wifi on/off everytime.. so many stalkers in my life, now they will know when i come/leave home...

might as well downgrade to bbm6.... you missed the ball on this one RIM, no wonder your bankrupt!
    12-11-12 07:20 PM
    How about just deleting those "stalkers" from your BBM Contacts? I mean, really?
    12-11-12 08:05 PM
    I agree with the OP. I wish there were a way to turn BBM Voice completely off as well, while still being connected to wifi. I think RIM should implement a way to set a separate status just for voice, and have one option be invisible, so that the icon is gray all the time when this status is active, and just tells the BBM contact that you are unavailable if they click it. That way, you can completely shut off BBM Voice when you don't want to use it.
    MADBRADNYC and pkcable like this.
    12-11-12 08:12 PM
    I agree with the OP. I wish there were a way to turn BBM Voice completely off as well, while still being connected to wifi. I think RIM should implement a way to set a separate status just for voice, and have one option be invisible, so that the icon is gray all the time when this status is active, and just tells the BBM contact that you are unavailable if they click it. That way, you can completely shut off BBM Voice when you don't want to use it.
    Exactly!
    Not only do I have to scold Broadcast Messengers, now I am getting calls in the middle of the night from people who "just wanted to test it" or say "Hello".
    Just because it's 3PM there does not mean it is not 3AM here...
    And, the language barriers with some people are excruciating...
    With the security options RIM has always provided for their devices to find ways to block anything you want, they kinda dropped the ball with this one.
    The only way around this is to turn off the notifiers in your profile via options.
    That defeats the purpose of having/using it with those I do want to talk to.

I'm sure RIM is thinking about this and will do something about it in the future.
    12-11-12 09:19 PM
    You can't turn it off anymore than the phone, email, text, pins and BBM messaging. I thought the point of having a phone, was communication.
    12-11-12 09:49 PM
    It is for communication. For those whom you want to communicate with and when you choose to do so.
    RIM has already provided me options to stop any of those things mentioned... Except for this...
    12-11-12 09:53 PM
    I can almost guarantee that RIM is looking into this and will give users options in the future....
    12-11-12 09:57 PM
    You have the ability to not answer/respond to anything, but what has RIM provided beyond an off button, to stop communication from reaching your phone? People have been talking about being able to turn off BBM forever, and yet, all these years later we have but available/busy.

Edit - "For those whom you *want* to communicate with and *when* you choose to do so."

I can appreciate you want someithing I can't wrap my head around caring about, but the more I read this.....
    I never feel I have to communicate with but a few select contacts.
    12-11-12 10:07 PM
127 123 ...