Hi guys.
    I am in a situation where i don't know where else to go for this problem i have, so maybe there is some people here that understand the GSM system really well and can point me in the right direction to find a solution.

So this is the deal: I switched my cellphone provider to a GSM company. To be more precise, i switched (ported my number) from CDMA boost mobile (a Sprint mvno in the US) to gsm Red Pocket (an AT&T mvno).

So my probem is that these MVNO companies suck at having any kind of decent technical support, and i am having the bad luck of not be able to receive any SMS since i made the switch 5 days ago.

I can actually send SMS to anyone and it works. The other party does receive my messages. But i can NOT receive messages back, EXCEPT if the other party is on the same network (AT&T)

I spent many hours on the phone and chat rooms with the Red pocket wanna be tech support guys, but they are not able or willing (yes they did hang up on me) to resolve the problem. May be they don't even have control or the ability to do anything at all because it is a problem on AT&T that's why i would like anyone here with the knowledge to explain a bit where the problem could be.

Here are some pointers to help with the troubleshooting:

1. I got a brand new original SIM card, and being told it was the cause of the problem because it was probably a bad one, i got ANOTHER one, called red pocket to transfer the line to the new SIM, but this did not fix the problem.

2. Had them "reset" the SMS system on my line twice, same result. (i dont even know if that is some BS they pulled to make me hang up while rebooting the phone)

3. Device: I have an iphone 4. It is locked to AT&T, but since red pocket its actually the same network, it works out of the box, and i have it configured with their settings so everything should be good.
    Yet, i have a second cellphone to test, an Iphone 4S, same thing, and even more, i have a 3rd device, an unlocked Blackberry, and i get the same result with the 3 devices, so i believe the broken device possibility, its not an option here.

4. there is a special command they gave me, that shows you on screen the number of the gateway the phone is using to send the SMS's and it is on the right setting.

5. I called the previous company, to make sure there is nothing left behind, like an incomplete port to the new carrier, and they confirmed that the system shows the transfer being completely made and that there shouldn't be any issues.
    My thoughts at some point were that it might be something like when for example, a domain name takes some time to propagate on the DNS servers until it works, maybe SMS system works kind of so like that, but 5 days already?, i don't think so.

Then... you might suggest to just switch carriers and try again, but i really need to be on the ATT network, because it is the only one with enough signal to be able placing calls in my building... all the rest fail. And finally, the oficial ATT is just DOUBLE as expensive for exactly the same plan as Red Pocket does. H2o and their sorry 1gb of data won't cut it either.

So do you know where the problem could be?
    The tech support guys are probably in Pakistan, following a basic manual with a set of instructions, replying on the online chat one line every 10 minutes, but it is taking them and me as far as just hanging up the phone or closing the chat window when they don't find any solution to my problem.

Sorry for the long post.
    If i can really understand where the problem could be may be i could contact the right tech department and try to have it fixed.
    Thank you guys and Good luck
    04-04-12 08:07 AM
    My wife had a similar problem porting her number from Rogers iPhone 3 to Bell with an iPhone 4s. When we got to the higher level of support at Bell, they found that the iPhone was not using the 10 digit phone number, just seven, and the text messages were failing. This didn't happen with all messages just some.

We moved onto the Apple support and they suggested deleting the problem contacts and adding again. This did not work. The next option was to wipe the phone and make sure we did not restore from a backup, but just use the desktop software to restore contacts from the computer, by syncing with the contact program. This worked.

So, try wiping the iPhone and starting from scratch.
    04-04-12 08:15 AM
    My wife had a similar problem porting her number from Rogers iPhone 3 to Bell with an iPhone 4s. When we got to the higher level of support at Bell, they found that the iPhone was not using the 10 digit phone number, just seven, and the text messages were failing. This didn't happen with all messages just some.

We moved onto the Apple support and they suggested deleting the problem contacts and adding again. This did not work. The next option was to wipe the phone and make sure we did not restore from a backup, but just use the desktop software to restore contacts from the computer, by syncing with the contact program. This worked.

So, try wiping the iPhone and starting from scratch.
    Not the problem in my case. Iphone works out of the box with Red Pocket except there is the need to configure the APN to make the data plan work with it. And as i mentioned before, i have 3 different devices.
    I also mentioned there is a command that tells what number is being used as a gateway for the SMS system, and it comes up fine with the right number they gave me.
    On the second and third device, i don't have the contacts copied and had to punch the numbers to send the messages so i know it is not a problem with the way the contacts are copied to the devices.
    Thanks for the tips tho..
    Last edited by axo; 04-04-12 at 08:33 AM.
    04-04-12 08:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD