I use BB maps all the time for directions and locations of nearby restaurants. I love it. I hear google maps is far better though. I am thinking about switching over and using that but was wondering if I should keep both on there or if I d/l google maps should I delete BB maps? Need some convincing and help deciding on which app to use

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-08 10:21 PM
    I use BB maps all the time for directions and locations of nearby restaurants. I love it. I hear google maps is far better though. I am thinking about switching over and using that but was wondering if I should keep both on there or if I d/l google maps should I delete BB maps? Need some convincing and help deciding on which app to use

Google Maps has prettier, more detailed maps. At its highest zoom, it shows accurate outlines of buildings in Washington, DC. Very helpful for walking around. But it does not have rotating maps. North Up is all you get. BBMaps' maps are not as pretty, but give you the option of rotating to keep direction of travel up.

I see you have a Verizon phone, so I assume you are using an external GPS with BBMaps. Google Maps does not have the ability to start or acknowledge the GPS signal via bluetooth, so external pucks like my Freedom Keychain 2000 time out and shut down. If I want to use Google Maps, I have to first start BBMaps, let the GPS lock, then switch to Google Maps. So you will likely need to keep BBMaps if you want to also use Google Maps.
    06-22-08 10:40 PM
    I would also keep both. Jeff is absolutely dead on with all his points. Just be careful to properly exit the gm app as it will kill your battery quickly if you leave it running in the background.

06-22-08 10:44 PM
    I agree keep them both!
    06-22-08 10:49 PM
    Ok thank you guys but I have one more quick question. Is google maps really worth the known memory leak or should I stick with bb maps?

06-23-08 04:09 PM
    Ok thank you guys but I have one more quick question. Is google maps really worth the known memory leak or should I stick with bb maps?

To me, no app is worth risking all my messages/emails/call logs for. I need to keep a recourd of stuff in my phone for work, so......... It isn't an issue for me, as my Curve is on Verizon and has the 96MB memoury, as opposed to the normal 64MB. BUT - If I still had my old Pearl, I wouldn't download GM.
    06-23-08 04:13 PM

I'm not so sure there is a "well-known memory leak" specifically associated with Google Maps. There are memory problems with all the 64MB blackberry's. You must run Stoner's procedure or equivalent or you will sooner rather than later lose your call logs, SMS messages, old calendar appointments, etc.

Here are two threads specific to Google Maps:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/does...ry-leak-32841/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/goo...ailable-41152/

The second thread includes my memory leak test results, which while not the final answer by any means, did not show a memory leak under controlled conditions.

The bottom line: if you perform Stoner's procedure and pay attention to close apps when you finish with them, you aren't likely to have memory problems. If you don't, you're going to have problems regardless. If you perform Stoner's procedure, I think it will be safe for you to try Google Maps.
    06-23-08 05:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD