Im new in this forum and I need some help please. I currently have tmobile and my sidekick 3 just died(battery doesnt charge) so a friend of mine gave me his old 8700 from cingular, can I reset/delete all the information from the 8700 cingular and convert it to tmobile? how can I do this? what do I need to do other than switch the sim card? please help.
    02-11-08 03:53 PM
    Is the phone locked to Cingular? If so it will have to be unlocked.

To wipe the device go to options > security > General Settings >select wipe hand held then enter blackberry (small letters) in the text box. This restores the device to factory settings.
    02-11-08 04:04 PM
    I am in general setting and this is the only thing that I see, I dont see the part your are writing about.

password .... disabled
    security timeout ..... 2 min
    Lock handheld upon holstering..... no
    content protection .... disabled
    content compression ..... enabled

IT policy name: default
    last updated: may 13, 2007 3:06pm
    time stamp: sept 14 2007

Services:
    Desktop {S11341673}

also how can I unlock the phone from cingular??
    02-11-08 04:51 PM
    Call them up and tell them youre going overseas and you need your unlock code. They will email that to you with instructions within 36 hours usually.
    02-11-08 04:55 PM
    I found it, it is is delleting... now is rebooting. thanks.
    HOw can I unlock the phone from cingular? any ideas.
    02-11-08 05:05 PM
    my friend, the one that gave me the blackberry 8700 has a new blackberry curve and is no longer using the 8700, I deleted everything from the 8700 but I still dont know how to unlock it from cingular, can I call or can he call to unlock an old phone? any other options?
    02-11-08 05:13 PM
    so I finally deleted all the information and I bought a unlocking code from ebay, actually I am waiting for them to send me the code to unlock it. Now the phone that my friend gave me fell on the water and has the red square on the phone and the red thick line on the battery, apparently the battery is dead becuase is not charging but I have it connected thru a USB and I can play with it, it seems to be working fine, the o and l get stuck but after pressing them for a couple times they work. I am trying to do anything available from putting the phone in a bowl of rice etc(apparently it worked for someone in this forum) to buying a new battery for the phone, any ideas on how to get this 8700 working again?
    02-12-08 08:54 AM
    I see millions of posts on how to unlock a bb

But nowhere can i find how to setup service on the phone for t-mobile or whatever carrier.

Does this mean that after you unlock it you can set it up manually for any carrier?

What are the steps one would take after unlocking to BB?
    07-11-08 10:44 AM
    I see millions of posts on how to unlock a bb

But nowhere can i find how to setup service on the phone for t-mobile or whatever carrier.

Does this mean that after you unlock it you can set it up manually for any carrier?

What are the steps one would take after unlocking to BB?
    You do not have to do anything. After you get the phone unlocked, just insert your sim card on the phone and there you go. If you are a T-mobile customer you have a sim card, the only thing you need is a phone that works on GSM network (AT&T, T-Mobile, Rogers, ....) not verizon..
    11-09-08 06:41 PM
    Hi, im having the same issue here except i was wondering if i could convert my 8700g to cingular's 8700c software.

Also, a side issue i was wondering about is that after i unlock my blackberry and insert my sim card would the internet be automatically on because i do not currently have internet on my phone account and i do not want to be charged for it. Will i be able to use text and make calls without worrying about being charged to use the internet?
    01-07-09 02:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD