I have a curve and I cannot hear my phone dialing when I'm calling somone and when they call me I can't hear them talking. I don't have the mute button on. I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?
    09-04-08 07:23 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There is a bug in the sound system. If you interrupt a certain type of non-BlackBerry audio file, the speaker becomes locked.

The quick fix it to activate Voice Activated Dialing, that will free up the speaker.

Look for fix in future OS release.
    09-04-08 07:25 PM
    That did it...Thanks! I love this website!
    09-04-08 07:34 PM
    Just try to get that kind of support from carrier CS.

315,599 CrackBerry fans have contributed to the knowledge base.
    09-04-08 10:25 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

There is a bug in the sound system. If you interrupt a certain type of non-BlackBerry audio file, the speaker becomes locked.

The quick fix it to activate Voice Activated Dialing, that will free up the speaker.

Look for fix in future OS release.
    I have heard this several times. It would appear this is most common in the vzw issued curves. I use this particular model and have never had an issue. What type of audio file does it take to encounter this problem? And once is happens, is it an ongoing problem, or is it a one-time incident when the audio file is played?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-08 10:28 PM
    I have vzw as well and it seems to happen when someone sends me a text messagw with a media clip attached. I didn't know about the quick fix I had just always done a battery pull. Thanks!

09-04-08 10:34 PM
    The problem file type is used by other manufactures. Most commonly, it is a voice note attacted to a message.

It only happens when the playback in interrupted, when it play to finish, no problems.

That would explain how it got past the carrier testing prior to release. Only the the most enthusiastic beta tester goes to that extreme.
    09-04-08 10:37 PM
    Ahhh hah! And now I know.

09-04-08 10:46 PM
    Well this makes sense now since this morning it happened to me again and I had recieved a text w/sound attached and I did interrupt it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem and keep it from continuously happening? Something I can download maybe? I mean it's not hard to fix, but still it just gets a bit annoying!
    09-05-08 08:35 AM
    Thank you Reed!! Just started having this problem the last couple of days and coincidentally, got an MMS with audio for the first time in months. Apparently I did cut it off...Soft reset fixed it for me-
    09-05-08 08:35 AM
    Well this makes sense now since this morning it happened to me again and I had recieved a text w/sound attached and I did interrupt it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem and keep it from continuously happening? Something I can download maybe? I mean it's not hard to fix, but still it just gets a bit annoying!
    I can not confirm it, but the odds are good that has been corrected in the v4.5xx.

For now, the simple solution is letting them play to the end.
    09-05-08 09:44 AM
    I can confirm the bug has been fixed in 4.5.

09-05-08 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD