heYy guYxx....i wnt ur HELP...actually my BB 8520,on dat i can not browse net thrO WI-FI...i hv an LINKSYS router n wen i connect my BB to the router,it does gt connected bt doesnt browse,WHY ???
    plz HELP !! shd i chnge the router or does BB work onlii on sum specific router ??? tnxx alOt 4 the help....)
    06-03-10 02:38 PM
    First of all, it'd help if you use actual english rather than slang. I speak 3 languages, but not slang.

Secondly, is the wifi icon on your phone lit up? You can only browse using wifi when the wifi icon is lit up. If you have wifi turned on but there is no connection, it'll be greyed out.

I took a screen shot of my BB. See the wifi icon? It's lit up. That's because I'm connected to my wifi at work. If your icon doesn't look like that, you're not fully connected.

06-03-10 02:49 PM
    sorry for using slang language....umm...ya the green light is there but still i can't browse for some reason :S does it depend which router you have or you can use any ???
    06-03-10 03:15 PM
    sorry for using slang language....umm...ya the green light is there but still i can't browse for some reason :S does it depend which router you have or you can use any ???
    No. It doesn't matter what router you use, but if that wifi icon isn't lit up, you won't be able to surf using wifi. If the router you're using isn't working right, your BB won't connect and you can't use wifi. If you're not connected, the white wifi icon will be greyed out.

Green light? I don't have a green light...Unless you mean the status light? That has nothing to do with it. The white wifi icon in the picture up near the top right of my screen shot is what I meant.

Greyed out icon screen shot:

It's there but it's not connected.
    06-03-10 03:24 PM
    Any should work.

Try taking security off and see if the BB can connect (green light? look at the pic, we're talking about the wi-fi logo).

If it can when there is no security, then you got an issue with the encription. In this case, change from AES to WEP and vice versa till you find a solution.
    06-03-10 03:25 PM
    You can use any router. I think he meant the actual WIFI Icon has to be "White" instead of "Grey". If it is white then you have to change your browser setting to Hotspot Browser.

You can do that by Options > Advanced Options > Broswer > Change Default Broswer Configuration to "Hotspot Broswer"
    06-03-10 03:29 PM
    You can use any router. I think he meant the actual WIFI Icon has to be "White" instead of "Grey". If it is white then you have to change your browser setting to Hotspot Browser.

You can do that by Options > Advanced Options > Broswer > Change Default Broswer Configuration to "Hotspot Broswer"
    No, you don't have to change it. I'm on wifi right now on my BB and I can surf all day long without ever changing my browser config. When I'm away from wifi, I can surf fine and never have to change either.

And I'm not a he.
    06-03-10 03:32 PM
    No. It doesn't matter what router you use, but if that wifi icon isn't lit up, you won't be able to surf using wifi. If the router you're using isn't working right, your BB won't connect and you can't use wifi. If you're not connected, the white wifi icon will be greyed out.

Green light? I don't have a green light...Unless you mean the status light? That has nothing to do with it. The white wifi icon in the picture up near the top right of my screen shot is what I meant.

Greyed out icon screen shot:

It's there but it's not connected.
    umm.....oh okay but the Greyed out icon DOES COME but still for some reason i can not browse ?? :S
    06-03-10 03:54 PM
    If its grey your wifi is on, but you're not connected. What type of security is your router using, if any?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 03:56 PM
    If its grey your wifi is on, but you're not connected. What type of security is your router using, if any?

i have the security ''WEP''
    06-03-10 04:01 PM
    THE GREYED OUT ICON comes n when i right any website...it is requesting but in the end it comes server were not found ??
    06-03-10 04:03 PM
    THE GREYED OUT ICON comes n when i right any website...it is requesting but in the end it comes server were not found ??
    Pal...

GRAY = Wi-Fi enabled

WHITE = Wi-Fi connected

Gray just means you told the device to turn wifi on, just like pressing the on key on the tv turns it on. If you don't have any signal, you get no channels. Same for wi-fi. No connection (gray), no internet.
    06-03-10 04:08 PM
    Pal...

GRAY = Wi-Fi enabled

WHITE = Wi-Fi connected

Gray just means you told the device to turn wifi on, just like pressing the on key on the tv turns it on. If you don't have any signal, you get no channels. Same for wi-fi. No connection (gray), no internet.
    hmm....ya i have a gray 1...so how do i make it white,meaning how do i connect it,though it comes that it is connected with my router ''LINKSYS'' :S
    06-03-10 04:13 PM
    i have the security ''WEP''
    And did you enter the WEP key when you tried to connect?

Also, is this YOUR router, or your roommate's/parent's/neighbor's router?
    Last edited by sickboy719; 06-03-10 at 04:21 PM.
    06-03-10 04:18 PM
    And did you enter the WEP key when you tried to connect?

Also, is this YOUR router, or your roommate's/parent's/neighbor's router?
    Yes...i do give the wep n it is my OWN router by the way does it matter if it is a router or ACCESS WIRELESS point ???
    06-03-10 04:25 PM
    Run the wifi setup app, select the router/access point you want to connect to, then input the WEP key when asked for it.
    if it doesn't connect, you may have a router issue. What model linksys do you have.

06-03-10 04:31 PM
    Run the wifi setup app, select the router/access point you want to connect to, then input the WEP key when asked for it.
    if it doesn't connect, you may have a router issue. What model linksys do you have.

hmm...i also think that it is an router issue because i do connect but cant browse...so can u suggest me a new model of linksys any or netgear ??? Well...i have an Wireless point of version 3-BEFW1154 !
    06-03-10 04:39 PM
    Did you even try the Wi-Fi setup?

Does it find the network? Does it say "Sucessful" when you give the password or does it fail to connect?

Go Manage Connections > Wi-Fi options > Menu > Wi-Fi Tools and run the diag. See what erros it tells you.
    06-03-10 05:01 PM
    Did you even try the Wi-Fi setup?

Does it find the network? Does it say "Sucessful" when you give the password or does it fail to connect?

Go Manage Connections > Wi-Fi options > Menu > Wi-Fi Tools and run the diag. See what erros it tells you.
    I have tried all options i could and yes it does connect,it takes the wep and getx connected...it comes on top LINKSYS-ACTIVE
    06-03-10 05:08 PM
    Also make sure you're using the right key index. I'm not even sure if the 8520 will ask for it, I don't use WEP. But if the router is using index 4 and you put in 1 on your curve, it won't work.

06-03-10 05:13 PM
    Also make sure you're using the right key index. I'm not even sure if the 8520 will ask for it, I don't use WEP. But if the router is using index 4 and you put in 1 on your curve, it won't work.

umm....where do i find those ???
    06-03-10 05:21 PM
    With a Linksys router you can do push-button setup.

Go to Options -> WiFi
    You should be looking at a list of networks which should be empty; click the BB/menu key and select "new"
    You should be looking at a screen similar to this:

Select "Push Button Setup" and follow the instructions; that should simplify things. The button to push on your Linksys is the orange or white logo button that sticks out a bit on the front to the left of the lights.
    06-03-10 05:47 PM
    With a Linksys router you can do push-button setup.
    Well he thinks he is connecting to an Access Point so there are many questions that come to mind. I just posted a fairly lengthy answer to the OP's question as it appears he double posted. You can find that here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/he...fi-2-a-478313/
    06-03-10 09:30 PM
    Well he thinks he is connecting to an Access Point so there are many questions that come to mind. I just posted a fairly lengthy answer to the OP's question as it appears he double posted. You can find that here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f143/he...fi-2-a-478313/
    I'd say that about covers it lol
    06-03-10 09:56 PM
    thanks alot guys just cant thank you people helped me alot thanks for ur efforts thanks alot )))))))
    06-04-10 05:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD