My bold 9700 went for a little swim! I managed to dry it out and it works..... except the end call key (red button) I can only end calls with a handsfree kit or a holster /holder thing that comes with the phone but I lose it all the time!!! Any ideas on alternative ways to end calls, happy with the phone and not too fussed about replacing it as wanna keep my pin, is it repairable?! HEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPP!
    01-15-11 06:40 AM
    Quick...put it in a bowl full of rice. Bury it in there for approx 24 hrs. No promises but this may be the only way to get it dry enough for use.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-11 06:43 AM
    Alright, get a bowl of dry uncooked rice. Take out the battery, and put it in the rice separately. I recommend leaving it there for 7 days. Not 100% chance, but it's the best chance you got. But by the sounds of it, sounds like the damage is already done. And you won't be allowed to repair it, and a replacement will cost you full retail because it's water damage and they can sniff it out in a nanosecond
    01-15-11 07:20 AM
    Oh dear, I soaked my storm with coffee and both the return and end buttons stopped working. I also had a water stain appear in the back ground of the screen that kept changing as it tried to dry out. COuld deal with the discolouring back ground but the buttons drove me mad. If you phone a mobile or they phone you then the call ends when they hang up. That's fine, but when you call a landline then you have to hang up to end the call. Battery pull is the only way I could find to end these calls. The worst one was phoning a mobile and going straight to the answer phone. They could hear me cursing trying to quickly get the bat cover off , I thought the buttons would just start working again in time and they did start to work once for a few days but stopped agin for no reason. SO had to claim on the insurance in the end and put up with being without it for a couple of weeks and of course it was a replacement with a new pin etc.
    01-15-11 07:29 AM
    I did manage to soak my BlackBerry 8520 with chocomilk (I'm not a coffee drinker), and a few keys became very sticky. However, it's all fixed, and they're clicky again. Extreme cold may freeze it such that they can become clicky again (as they were getting better, it was extremely cold here in the UK).
    01-15-11 07:52 AM
    My bold 9700 went for a little swim!
    Hopefully it fell in the toilet before use
    01-15-11 08:21 AM
    Try a local phone repair shop.

Sometimes a good internal clean can get the buttons working again, I've done this myself bro (clean a water damaged unit)

01-15-11 08:48 AM
    Hopefully it fell in the toilet before use
    yes! I was seeing to my 2yr old daughter and she knocked it out of my hand before she had been!!
    01-15-11 09:09 AM
    If it was just a quick swim, no worries. Get some uncooked rice, remove the battery, put the phone in the rice with the back off, leave in overnight and it'll be good as new in the morning. I did this about two weeks ago and my BB works fine.

01-15-11 09:19 AM
    Ok lookit, the rice thing almost NEVER works (especially long term) and I would venture a guess that 90% of the people who suggest it has never tried it and if honest will tell you they are only repeating advice (bad as it is) they have seen posted previously.

Water and an electronic device is a bad mix and moreso if said device is powered on. Compound that with the fact that you did not mention how you dried it, for how long and it is exhibiting problems, it is a safe bet you will be replacing this bad boy eventually (sooner rather than later). Yeah, I know, not very cheery but there you have it
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-15-11 at 12:02 PM.
    01-15-11 12:00 PM
    Actually the rice trick does work. While I agree it doesn't work all the time I know plenty of friends who've been able to save their phone. I myself did this for my old 8330 after i spilled some water on it.

I think water being bad for electronics goes without saying....

Bowl of rice will do the trick if you act fast. Silica packets work too but rice is easier to get a hold of lol.

Do not use any heat elements such as a blow dryer or heat gun. And I shouldn't have to say this but do not put in a microwave or dryer....I know people who have...

Good luck and hope you get it working.

01-15-11 12:18 PM
    I didn't mention I dropped it down the loo about 2 months ago and the end call button still doesn't work so its far to late to play the dry rice card..... also I committed a sin.... I dried it on my radiator and with a hair drier...... stillbeen working for two months...well minus the end call button :$
    01-17-11 12:09 PM
    Actually this happened to me earlier last week. My 9650 dropped into the toilet bowl while powered on. I immediately fished it out and took out the battery and dropped both into a bag of rice. Left it there for 48 hours and amazingly its back to normal and working fine. No issues whatsoever
    01-17-11 03:30 PM
    Im such a loser....The phone from this thread was lost on a drunken night out and replaced with a torch...which...you couldn't make this shiz up....My daughter wet the bed on this morning....It is currently in a bag of rice.... Im not impressed.....
    04-04-11 10:36 AM
    Talk about bad luck, two phones soaked in urine. Hope you get it functional again.
    04-04-11 11:32 AM
    Buy a new one dude...

04-04-11 11:55 AM
    You have GOT to be kidding!!!!!
    04-04-11 12:25 PM
    Im such a loser....The phone from this thread was lost on a drunken night out and replaced with a torch...which...you couldn't make this shiz up....My daughter wet the bed on this morning....It is currently in a bag of rice.... Im not impressed.....
    Maybe look into getting insurance now?
    04-04-11 12:38 PM
    well, it sounds funny..^^
    but im really sorry for you ! can only imagine how frustrating that must be : /
    Last edited by Seijuro; 04-04-11 at 03:18 PM.
    04-04-11 03:16 PM
    well, it sounds funny..^^
    but im really sorry for you ! can only imagine how frustrating that must be : /
    Place in a bag of desicccant. When the desiccant changes color place it without phone into the microwave for one minute until it's natural color returns and repeat procedure until desiccant no longer changes color.
    04-04-11 03:30 PM
    bag of rice worked for me!
    04-04-11 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD