Hi all,

Just found a great deal on a Passport Silver Edition. The guy is asking $300 but maybe looking to unload a bit cheaper.

Anyway I can check to see if it's stolen or to prevent this guy form going to Blackberry protect and shutting it down on me? I normally don't buy it lot of used phones but this guy has some sketchy responses to some questions, either that or he's not very bright.

In any event just looking for some advice to protect myself outside of throwing in my SIM and making sure it works.

Any tips? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 07:56 PM
    Ask him to perform a security wipe, but not to turn it back on when it's done. Then when you go to pick it up, if you can boot it up without being asked for the original BBID, you will be good to go.

You should also ask him for the IMEI of the device. You can check it against the stolen phone registry.
    06-22-16 08:01 PM
    Ask him to perform a security wipe, but not to turn it back on when it's done. Then when go to pick it up, if you can boot it up without being asked for the original BBID, you will be good to go.

Thanks for this! Excellent

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 08:02 PM
    Anybody have any other tips? It's $300 Canadian so it's not a bad deal at all.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 08:06 PM
    Anybody have any other tips? It's $300 Canadian so it's not a bad deal at all.

Posted via CB10
    Not a security or stolen issue but I would also run most if not all the tests on BBVE app to make sure the device is functioning properly (sensors etc).
    06-22-16 08:59 PM
    Can you blacklist a phone that isn't from a carrier? I've tried this before with a factory unlocked device and my carrier wouldn't do it.

As far as I know, Passport SE was never sold through any carrier, anywhere in the world.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-16 09:09 PM
    Can you blacklist a phone that isn't from a carrier? I've tried this before with a factory unlocked device and my carrier wouldn't do it.

As far as I know, Passport SE was never sold through any carrier, anywhere in the world.

Posted via CB10
    Good point
    06-22-16 09:11 PM
    Ask him to perform a security wipe, but not to turn it back on when it's done. Then when you go to pick it up, if you can boot it up without being asked for the original BBID, you will be good to go.

You should also ask him for the IMEI of the device. You can check it against the stolen phone registry.
    Could you please elaborate? Who maintains a stolen phone registry? And if an original owner never reports that a phone has been stolen, is it still possible to verify?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    06-23-16 06:45 AM
    Could you please elaborate? Who maintains a stolen phone registry? And if an original owner never reports that a phone has been stolen, is it still possible to verify?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Let me google that for you
    06-23-16 06:52 AM
    OP it's a risk you will be taking buying ANY USED device. My simple reply to you is DON'T take the risk, if you have to (second guess / have a gut feeling,) the sellers authenticity DON'T buy the device. Look for one through Amazon at least you will have some level of accountability there.

Posted via CB10
    06-23-16 07:17 AM