I am using an 8830 WE on Verizon. When I first got the phone months ago, I had Verizon transfer my contacts from my old phone (non-blackberry). After that I had my employer configure my phone to work with my work email (Lotus Notes). The contacts from my Lotus and previously stored contacts merged into the address book fine.

Well last week I was going through my address book and noticed that several of my contacts (not from my lotus notes address book) had disappeared. Including my roommate's number, which is used almost daily. All of my work contacts remain and some of my personal contacts remain, but most personal are lost. I don't have any filters applied, nor do I categorize my contacts at all.

I was thinking of taking my old phone back to verizon and having them merge the old address book again, but i wanted to see if anyone had any advice or a way to recover the lost information?

Also, once my address book is restored (however it has to happen), how can I prevent this from happening again? I do not want to store all of my personal contacts in my work address book, nor do I want to pay verizon for their storage. I have a 4gb micro sd card on the phone, can I store it on there or on my computer through BB device manager?
    07-28-08 02:39 PM
    I am using an 8830 WE on Verizon. When I first got the phone months ago, I had Verizon transfer my contacts from my old phone (non-blackberry). After that I had my employer configure my phone to work with my work email (Lotus Notes). The contacts from my Lotus and previously stored contacts merged into the address book fine.

Well last week I was going through my address book and noticed that several of my contacts (not from my lotus notes address book) had disappeared. Including my roommate's number, which is used almost daily. All of my work contacts remain and some of my personal contacts remain, but most personal are lost. I don't have any filters applied, nor do I categorize my contacts at all.

I was thinking of taking my old phone back to verizon and having them merge the old address book again, but i wanted to see if anyone had any advice or a way to recover the lost information?

Also, once my address book is restored (however it has to happen), how can I prevent this from happening again? I do not want to store all of my personal contacts in my work address book, nor do I want to pay verizon for their storage. I have a 4gb micro sd card on the phone, can I store it on there or on my computer through BB device manager?
    You can't store your contacts on the microSD card, but you can back them up using Desktop Manager. If you have previously synched with Desktop Manager, you probably have a backup already. If not, you should start as soon as you recover the info.

I'm not aware of any blackberry failure mode that will cause you to lose some but not all address book entries. Nor do I know any way to recover them from the blackberry once they have been deleted. Of course, if you sync to Outlook, the deleted contacts should be in the deleted items folder.

Have you let someone else use your phone? Friends do the darndest things...
    07-28-08 03:12 PM
    All good. Thanks. I played around with my desktop manager and lotus notes and it restored all my contacts. I think work linked my lotus notes into my address book and stores on a server, because now my entire BB address book, personal and work, are now in my lotus notes. Nothing I can do about that I guess, but I have backed up my BB. Thanks!
    07-28-08 03:17 PM
    Glad you were able to recover. And welcome to the forums! Be sure to check out the "Getting Started Guide" and the "BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series" under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    07-28-08 03:23 PM
    DM backups will be your lifesaver when you need them. Weekly or every 2 weeks backup is highly recommended...you never know.
    07-28-08 04:30 PM
    Lost all of my contacts, probably due to sync of my phone with the gmail.
    Per Posts, I turned off Gmail Wireless Sync.
    My contacts are on Desktop Manager but when I highlight the file and then press the >>> or transfer icon nothing happens.
    Any suggestions?
    01-31-10 07:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD