RIM confirms BlackBerry 10 to be licensed | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

Research In Motion Ltd. said it will soon be ready to license the company�s new BlackBerry 10 operating system to other manufacturers, even as it races to release its own devices with the software by early next year.
    Smartphones are a part of our business, but we�re looking way beyond this

The new platform is in the final stages of testing, and RIM is now considering how other companies may be able to use it in a range of products, chief executive officer Thorsten Heins said today. The BlackBerry 10 lineup was built on software called QNX, which is used in cars, nuclear plants and military drones.

�QNX is already licensed across the automotive sector � we could do that with BB10 if we chose to,� Heins, who has begun to carry a BB10 phone for his own use, said in an interview at Bloomberg�s headquarters in New York. �The platform can be licensed.�

BB10, which has an improved Web browser and the ability to jump between applications while they continue running, is the linchpin of RIM�s efforts to regain market share from Apple Inc. and Google Inc. Licensing the new software to other manufacturers may help bolster investors� confidence in the operating system. RIM�s stock jumped as much as 13% on Aug. 8 after Jefferies & Co speculated that Samsung Electronics Co. might license BB10....
    08-13-12 09:10 PM
    08-13-12 09:12 PM
    I want to start carrying a BlackBerry 10 phone around for normal use!
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    08-13-12 09:54 PM
    Has Heins not said that all the individual aspects of BB10 are complete, but the integration isn't tight enough and he can "see the seams"

So he's probably carrying a fully functional, not yet ready for the masses, BB10 in a decoy shell.
    08-13-12 09:58 PM
    Has Heins not said that all the individual aspects of BB10 are complete, but the integration isn't tight enough and he can "see the seams"

So he's probably carrying a fully functional, not yet ready for the masses, BB10 in a decoy shell.
    How sweet would it be if it was a 9900 (or 9900 like device) running BB10...
    08-13-12 10:04 PM
    How sweet would it be if it was a 9900 (or 9900 like device) running BB10...
    What's better than fooling everyone with an already great looking device
    08-13-12 10:21 PM
    ...and you expect us to believe you are not Come on, you can tell us. We'l l keep it to ourselves. Promise!
    diegonei and anon(3896606) like this.
    08-13-12 10:26 PM

I do too. Can't wait to get my hands on a BlackBerry 10 device

Sent from my Beloved BlackBerry Torch 9810 using Tapatalk
    08-13-12 10:33 PM
    Very confusing... read an article over the weekend that RIM is hiring programmers... analysts think RIM is way behind on BB10.... May not be ready till later than RIM promised.......Heinz says he is using a BB10 now... someone has it wrong.....
    08-13-12 11:29 PM
    To be honest, the way the media screws up reporting pretty much everything about RIM, I'd bet that Thorsten meant that he's carrying a Dev Alpha device...and Bloomberg turned that into "he's carrying a BB10 device for personal use."

I mean, after all, remember when the Dev Alpha devices launched and some media outlets reported that it "couldn't even make calls or send texts"? And that "RIM has given up on the full QWERTY form factor"?
    08-14-12 12:01 AM
    A few weeks ago I saw it reported that Heins mentioned in an interview that he was using a BB10 device & that it hadn't rebooted once.
    08-14-12 01:03 AM
    To be honest, the way the media screws up reporting pretty much everything about RIM, I'd bet that Thorsten meant that he's carrying a Dev Alpha device...and Bloomberg turned that into "he's carrying a BB10 device for personal use."

I mean, after all, remember when the Dev Alpha devices launched and some media outlets reported that it "couldn't even make calls or send texts"? And that "RIM has given up on the full QWERTY form factor"?
    I'm pretty sure it is the Dev Alpha. With BB10 software though. Is it too farfetched to think that the CEO of the company is using his own product in an alpha/beta stage?
    08-14-12 06:12 AM
    +1000. I'd be happy to test one out for them for my daily use, and I'd even buy it to test it for them .
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    08-14-12 06:16 AM
    I'm pretty sure it is the Dev Alpha. With BB10 software though. Is it too farfetched to think that the CEO of the company is using his own product in an alpha/beta stage?
    He'd be using BB10 Beta software...as the Dev Alpha is using Alpha BB10Wannabe software
    08-14-12 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD