It is very hard to give firm dates on software releases, especially when it is coupled with a complicated Mobile OS.

Android and iOS can give firm dates because they have momentum and they know how to play this game in the modern tech world.

BBRY is still trying to figure it out under new management and with new software. I also think that only true diehards care about software updates, most people do not care, so long as their phone works as intended. We people on this forums probably do not fall in that category. So in the grand scheme of thing "summer" is ok for most users.

BBRY is between a rock and a hard place, they just do not have the luxury of time to wait and wait and wait to feature compete (or exceed) the competition. IMO they should have waited to announce BBM, the timing was crap. They did it one day before Google I/O, my guess they will release BBM around WWDC, which will be another mistake.

They just "cantgetright"
    Truth all in this post.

In all my years of using a BB, and being on these forums, I've still yet to interpret what exactly "coming soon" means in BB language lol
    j8298c and bb4life21 like this.
    05-16-13 05:48 PM
    The op needs to calm down. Android did that last year with I.C.S. and what happen Jelly bean needed to be relaesed right away to fix serious issues. they did that and again they had to do it. Apple released ios 6 there are security holes to this day apple already said they wont bother fixing and we all know about the maps thing. So i guess the OP would rather have these problems. One more thing most android users still have those issues as it is a minorty on jelly bean.
    BlackBerry and apple are not in the same situation. If you don't see that were just agree to disagree. It always makes me laugh when people on crackberry act like since we waited we are getting something superior...no we just waited. bb10 was delayed and still I can't set number of vibrations on vibrate only smh I guess they should have delayed it
    05-16-13 06:11 PM
    I completely agree with the OP on this if it wasn't ready until the summer don't announce until the summer. Now that they have announced it and showed their hand to the competition it's gives people like google time to update their new hangout more and more, plus the fact that hangout is now in the hands of the masses more and more people will flock to it. I personally like the new hangouts messenger being that I have a gs3 and the wife an iPhone 5 it's essentially bbm or iMessage but for different platforms to communicate. Also it leaves blackberry little breathing room if they come out with a half *** bbm for other platforms if its missing any features it will be dead on arrival good luck to them I'm all bout choices but its an uphill battle for blackberry.

Ps I don't know if its just me but when people say "oh cool down its a brand new OS " it kinda irks me especially knowing they took two whole years to make it happen, imagine where we would be had they released bbm 3 years go especially with someone like bbm music that service would've been untouchable... Sorry for the rant
    05-16-13 06:20 PM
    Quick in comparison to how other platforms deliver updates. You had specific issues, so an update couldn't come quick enough. I get that. Me, my Z10 has been flawless. Gmail works great, active synch works great, no reboots. Loving it. So to me, 10.1 was quick. I was still in the honeymoon stage with my Z10, then they release 10.1. I'm sure if I had a ton of problems with my phone, and update couldnt' come quick enough. It's all relative. Funny how people get so rude in a thread like this. It's just a conversation about people's perspectives. Chill.
    Very well put. When things are going good time is moving fast, when not so good very slow. My experience has been good overall not great. I still have a problem with my blue tooth (noise, crackling sounds mostly after having been using it for awhile, sometimes so bad I have to call the person back, which helps but not always corrects it totally) . I'm not going to leave BB over it, I love the Z10 for other things mostly the keyboard and how it is fantastic. I expect my issue will be resolved. It does not have to be tomorrow.
    05-16-13 07:30 PM
    Not a case of talk and action... it is a case of a failing company trying to get it right.... the word "first generation" comes to mind.... Apple and Android have had much more time to push revisions out.... thus the number of functionality and bugs are already addressed..... maybe to you they are missing the mark but right now it is survival mode.... if they do not make this work there will be no BB as we know it and your concerns will not matter anymore....

I write this even though I too am totally put off with RIM/BB for past and present actions... I have lost total faith in the company... but currently my 9800 and Playbook suits my needs to a tee right now... and until something else comes along better I plan on staying where I am... by the way but I do use a Z10 for work but put in on the charger when I get home... much prefer my current setup.....as it looks like the Playbook will not be supported further... it looks like it and my 9800 are now orphaned so for me it really no longer matters what BB does and does not do.... all in all a sad state of affairs....
    05-16-13 07:37 PM
    The OP is, in my humble opinion, right. The BB board do take too long. But we also need to try and understand the problems the board have. Outside of the traditional BB loyalist groups BB's commercial promise is weakening. Major investment bank's analysts are wary of the future picture for the company, traditional revenue streams for BB are declining severely and while they do have a significantly liquid balance sheet, development and marketing of everything BB has on the go now costs a lot and revenues to recoup these costs don't necessarily come quickly. So for the company to keep its stock price up, and therefore investor confidence and willingness for banks to lend them money, they need to stay in the news. To stay relevant and in people's consciousness. This is what I think is driving their odd announcements. They know what they want to do, but they also have a significantly reduced workforce from a few years ago, so they make the announcement, then try and play catch up to deliver. The problem is companies like Samsung spend five billion dollars a year on marketing and advertising and they deliver fast. Given how quickly the market moves BB is getting left behind. They have been very coy about releasing Q1 and Q2 sales figures for their phones. That's worrying. Given the above, and BB's keenness to make announcements of ate, had the figures been good, surely they would have wasted no time in making that announcement. But to date it has been vague "better than expected" type language only. Put it all together and I worry that the board is worried what's going to happen. The system they have is good, but flawed with bugs and no end of different problems, leaked software, difficult and uncooperative phone operators. Not an easy time and hence, I think the problems the OP alludes to....
    05-16-13 07:39 PM
    The problem is we are not getting the good air conditioner. BB10 was delayed! Then we get comments like yours trying to justify how long we wait like somehow that means better/perfect. It's the same ol story from the fanboys. December we said where is bb10. You get be patient. You want it to be good right? Now it is may 5/16/13 and I can't even make a custom profile. But none of this stops Heins in the media talking like for some reason we are gonna sell out because of statements like "sell like hell" smh. The execution has to be as good as the talk. That's my point
    BB's execution has actually been pretty decent since Heins took over. The company has engaged with the public, the press, and the developer community to a really impressive degree.

Now, they could go back to being aloof and secretive, if that helps. Maybe they didn't have to announce that BBM would be offered on other platforms until it was actually being released, but arguably this is one of the biggest announcements they'll make all year so it makes some sense to make it at the company's biggest gathering.

One thing the company has gotten much better at: actually fulfilling its targets.
    MasterOfBinary and web99 like this.
    05-16-13 07:41 PM
    It seems the more and more as the year progresses all we are getting from blackberry is more talk and less execution. Even with this recent news of bbm being open to other platforms. I like other z10 users was very excited to hear this....until I heard the release date..this summer. For some reason blackberry is never on the ball and leaves everyone waiting even if it's for a feature they are excited about. For those that don't know that's anywhere from June 21st-September 21st. WTF.Why wouldn't blackberry have this ready after announcement? Or at least have a exact date of release. They are becoming the leader of how to lose momentum and buzz. Google just announced their new music app and it will be released on Wednesday. Some people like the way Heins and new leadership are doing things. IMO I'm not too sure. It seems like they feel like they can talk their way to the top. We still don't have a release date of the Q10 in the US but that doesn't stop Heins from making a statement like "Q10 will sell tens of millions". Let's get the device out there before we start making random predictions. Even before BB10 got rolling he didn't mind calling "ios outdated". Really? Are we in the position to be taking shots at android or apple right now? And you know what if you are going to take that stand make sure you make the hands down best OS that blows the other two out the water. We are still waiting to get something as simple as custom profiles back. Heins also doesn't have a problem speaking about the future of tablets...but whenever he gets asked about BB10 on playbook it's like watching a bad politician lying about the issues.

I really hope blackberry gets on the ball. I think my z10 is the best device that no one knows about. I just think blackberry needs to understand it's not just WHAT they do...but WHEN and HOW they execute it. Time will only tell and I'm here for the long haul.
    The media is brutal and by that I mean, the US media is absoultely bias.They will definitely kick you when you're down BB's CEO has to watch every single thing that comes out of his mouth..The next earnings call is coming and ,hold your head up high,because,BB10 has arrived and is selling, gotta KeepMoving though!!
    05-16-13 07:58 PM
    I respect your opinion, but I'd have to somewhat disagree. I'm not saying this to you, but more in general, so please do not take offence. iOS and Android tend to make announcements and inform that the product or service will be available tomorrow or 'friday' or something. Not 'in the summer'. Blackberry could do the same. They could wait until the summer and make the same type of announcements. The problem I see with that is, alot of people would complain that blackberry isn't doing anything or coming out with fixes or updates or new products. Everyone would get annoyed that nothing is happening. So it seems to me, their strategy is to inform well in advance of everything they are doing, without committing to a date. Basically they are trying to be as transparent as possible. My personal opinion is this. I like knowing in advance, but then I grow frustrated on how long it is before I get it. It's like a kid at Christmas. They peak at their gift in November, and they are all excited, but then grow frustrated when it takes forever to get here. I guess for blackberry users, not hearing any news would be like "Are we getting anything for Christmas at all?". So I can see the mentality behind it, but I'm not sure it's the right thing. I think either way, people are not going to be happy. Either people will think that blackberry is up to nothing until the summer, then 'bam!', they announce something, or, they tell people "we have all this coming next summer or by the end of the year". At least we know things are coming....we just don't know when.
    I agrede with the fact that as Apple and Google when you make an announcement you should have the program ready like Google did with Hangouts. But maybe Heins and team learned that Google was making such announcement and they announce it. Strategically was the correct thing to do from a competition perspective. If you look at the reports people are talking about Hangouts but in my opinion much attention has been given to BBM been introduce to iOS and Android. Lets not forget that BlackBerry started all this and in iOS and Androids are a lot of people who used to have BBs, they moved because these other phones had more features, apps, whatever, but it wasn't for BBM, they still love it as I do. I bought an iPhone 5 because my BB was broken, I knew about BB10 but after waiting over a year due to the release dates been change over and over again. But guess what, I really liked BBM. iMessage is ok but only for iOS, I downloaded Hangouts and it sucks, Whatsapp looks really cheap, the only good thing and is because there is nothing out there except Vibe is Whatsapp, but been popular or bigger than Twitter doesn't makes it better. I think those people who use to have BB will feel at home with BBM, including Eric Smithd who can then BBM Larry Page and Sergey Brin. So to end this long thread I think that you need to look first what happened or was what happening at the time of the announcement and I believe Heins nail it.
    05-16-13 09:08 PM
    hahaha smh ok. So does that sound better that my brand new phone doesn't allow me to make custom profiles...Only on these forums people can try to spin losing functionality. But ok if that floats your boat. But I'm guessing if the new iphone came without itunes or galaxy s4 without google maps it would be viewed as a step backwards.
    iPhone with iTunes and Android without Google Maps is FAAAAARRRRR more drastic than something like Custom Profile Notifications.

IMHO, that is saying that an Aeroplane that cannot fly is the same as having an Aeroplane with faux leather seats instead if genuine leather.

Blackberry Faithful - #TeamBlackBerry
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-16-13 09:24 PM
    With all due respect but... have you any experience coding OS's, building or engineering hardware, UL testing, etc etc etc...takes time. As for the announcement it's a Developer Conference, perhaps there thinking is to announce so the Dev's can integrate some of their stuff into the product before they launch...novel idea for sure but just maybe it's a reason?

I haven't got a clue how much larger Apple or Google or Samsung is compared to BlackBerry but they started talking about "upgrading" their OS two years ago, so far nothing launched...are they laughable too?

I can understand that people want it all NOW, but in reality everything takes time...it will come, just a bit of patients is required.
    Apple NEVER announces a damn thing until it's either "available today" or so far along the channel that it's a few weeks out. I have never understood why BlackBerry doesn't emulate this. Why say anything until a product is ready?? Why create some arbitrary deadline for yourself? And in blackberry's case, they usually embarrass themselves by missing that deadline by some comical margin.
    Drew808 likes this.
    05-16-13 09:36 PM
    Apple has just as much of a problem with release dates an anyone else. Their professional software is notorious for this with them just saying an update is coming eventually. They've have even in the past announced iOS updates that come out half a year later.

Of course if they hadn't mentioned some of the stuff at live then the same people would be saying how uneventful the conference was.
    You are confusing the tech press/blogs with Apple themselves. Being the market leader, people speculate about their products a lot. A LOT. But Apple themselves almost never say a product or feature will be available on such and such date. Unless it's "today."
    danprown and Drew808 like this.
    05-16-13 09:45 PM
    I think that the OP has a valid point and to add to the problem is what seems to be a lack of support from the American carriers. First we had vagueness as to when the US carriers would be releasing the phone and once it was released there was lacking advertisements from the carriers especially in their retail stores. Then we have another vagueness concerning releasing the Q10 in the US. Now we have a third vagueness concerning when the 10.1 update will arrive for the US customers. When they finally have the cross platform for the BBM will we have to wait once again for the US carriers to release it. I find fault in BBerry in not correcting the first US carrier delay so that the US consumers see the Q10 and the 10.1 and eventually the BBM being released smoothly like the IOS and Android releases
    05-16-13 09:45 PM
    .... and we all know about the maps thing.
    Is that to say you believe BBmaps is better? Because you'd be the first person to say that, I think.
    05-16-13 09:48 PM
    Apple NEVER announces a damn thing until it's either "available today" or so far along the channel that it's a few weeks out. I have never understood why BlackBerry doesn't emulate this. Why say anything until a product is ready?? Why create some arbitrary deadline for yourself? And in blackberry's case, they usually embarrass themselves by missing that deadline by some comical margin.
    Then why was the I5 delayed? Why is the 5s delayed? NEVER is such a strong word.

Posted via CB10
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    05-16-13 10:03 PM
    Just saw that WP8 is now in the #3 position over BBRY. Really, what they need is a marketing strategy.
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express
    05-16-13 10:05 PM
    Then why was the I5 delayed? Why is the 5s delayed? NEVER is such a strong word.

Posted via CB10
    They can only be "delayed" if Apple themselves announces a date, and then misses that date. That has never happened, my man. How are you misunderstanding?
    Drew808, kevinnugent and Rello like this.
    05-16-13 10:08 PM
    They can only be "delayed" if Apple themselves announces a date, and then misses that date. That has never happened, my man. How are you misunderstanding?
    Ok...could have sworn I read somewhere June release for the 5...didn't happen and not sure on the 5s, perhaps just speculation of spring 13? Doesn't matter, my opinion stands, and I'm getting the Bell 10.1 update as I type this, hello vibrate and LED customization.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:16 PM
    Ok...could have sworn I read somewhere June release for the 5...didn't happen and not sure on the 5s, perhaps just speculation of spring 13? Doesn't matter, my opinion stands, and I'm getting the Bell 10.1 update as I type this, hello vibrate and LED customization.

Posted via CB10
    I can guarantee you could have POSSIBLY read those things. Every blogger on the Internet speculates about the next iPhone/iOS. I can also guarantee you they were not quotes from anyone on Apple's payroll. That's not how they do business, and that's very well known by anyone who pays even a little attention to the technology sector.
    danprown likes this.
    05-16-13 10:21 PM
    Guess I don't...hey want to buy my gently used 4s?

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 10:26 PM
    I can guarantee you could have POSSIBLY read those things. Every blogger on the Internet speculates about the next iPhone/iOS. I can also guarantee you they were not quotes from anyone on Apple's payroll. That's not how they do business, and that's very well known by anyone who pays even a little attention to the technology sector.
    That is the truth.
    And I agree with the op
    Make the product then announce it or you end up with a Bb 10 PlayBook situation

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 02:50 AM
    Think of my pain. I've been waiting for people to understand the proper use of ellipses.

Posted via CB10
    05-17-13 03:04 AM
    Please leave your Apple at the door.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    05-17-13 06:59 AM
    Please leave your Apple at the door.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    I always wonder how some people get there post count so high.....now I see. Your post is very insightful. Thanks
    05-17-13 08:08 AM
    iPhone with iTunes and Android without Google Maps is FAAAAARRRRR more drastic than something like Custom Profile Notifications.

IMHO, that is saying that an Aeroplane that cannot fly is the same as having an Aeroplane with faux leather seats instead if genuine leather.

Blackberry Faithful - #TeamBlackBerry
    So are you saying that seriously not having the ability to set how many times your phone vibrate is not drastic? You might be right. But it's nothing short of laughable. If I literally miss the ONE vibration while my z10 is in my leather case on vibrate only I am out of luck. Don't worry I know how it goes....it's never a major issue if blackberry missed something like that. Then your gonna tell how lucky I should be that they are handling it in this update smh
    danprown likes this.
    05-17-13 08:13 AM
262 12345 ...