06-09-09 05:11 PM
28 12
tools
    i think its odd that not more people had this problem...i switched out my housing and midplate a few hours ago and realized my headset jack has died also...i've taken apart the housing 100 times thinking it was a contact issue and maybe the housing just needed to be pushed together more but nothing is working...i ordered a new midplate "just in case" something truly did break that was supposed to contact maybe from the jack to the main board...but i think i've lost it forever
    Another Victim, I have an AT&T 83xx for work and a Verizon 83xx for personal and decided to swap the housing since I wanted the red one from my work phone. OMG, why do they have to make something so simple such a pain in the ***? Couldn't just be a face plate change, right? I had to swap the keypad frame because the buttons are shaped differently, the earpiece inside is shaped differently so the whole screen housing had to be swapped so the face plate would fit and the AT&T phone had adhesive on around the inside of the faceplate which stuck to the screen when removing.

So now I am finally done, the Verizon phone works great but now I have to deal with a freakin headphone jack problem on the AT&T from a fairly minor tweak. Pretty crappy if the phone is that sensitive.
    06-08-09 09:28 AM
    06-09-09 03:12 PM
    IMO this is down to bad luck or rough handling in use, rather than a result of changing the housing. If it worked after the change and failed later I don't see changing the housing as a probable cause. However the housing change does make warranty exchange more difficult. I think the best thing is to put the original housing back and hope they don't notice the warranty seal is gone. The seal is usually a little sticker on one of the housing screws - but sometimes a refurb (exchange) unit doesn't even have a seal when it is delivered.

The most likely causes are a bad contact inside the socket, or the socket has a broken solder connection to the mainboard. Broken solder can happen if the socket is used a lot and not handled carefully because the 3.5mm plug acts as a lever. Any side force applied to the plug is multiplied by the time it reaches the solder points.

First thing I would try is find a known good headset and work the plug in and out a few times. This should "wipe" the contacts and make sure its not simply Dirt preventing connection.

If this doesn't work the fault is probably the headset socket itself, or where it it soldered to the main circuit board. The only fix for this is exchange or repair by a workshop equipped for full refurb work (there are not many of these around). The socket is surface-mount soldered so hand repair is not advised, it will simply trash the warranty and risk destroying the mainboard.

One possible workaround might be a Bluetooth headset. Does anyone know if media audio goes to BT? (I have no idea, I never tried it on a BT headset but it doesn't seem to go to my car handsfree)
    I can do that type of solder at work, I'm an air force eletrical engineer and we have a fully machined shop with all sorts of goodies consumer shops wish for. We have a cool micro solder station with microscope and micro tools etc, so surface-mount soldering is a quick fix I might blow through real quick before my lunch break

Also, forgot to mention, that annoying red ring of death bullcrap on the xbox 360? Yeap, fixed mine too, beefier and higher quality solder connection and reinforced joints fixed it right up, not even gonna mention how many cold solder joints I found under the scope!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by CBRfanatic; 06-09-09 at 05:14 PM.
    06-09-09 05:11 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD